LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
wayne1937
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
centOS6 Thunderbird won't start after update


Fresh install centOS 6. After centOS 6 fresh install Thunderbird started. There were over 800 updates to be installed. After update completed all software seemed to work except Thunderbird. Thunderbird won't start.
 
Old 12-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
jsbjsb001
Registered User
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,440

Rep: Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1937 View Post
Fresh install centOS 6. After centOS 6 fresh install Thunderbird started. There were over 800 updates to be installed. After update completed all software seemed to work except Thunderbird. Thunderbird won't start.
While you should consider installing at least CentOS 7 instead; you can try and launch it from the command-line/terminal and see what error messages it gives you to work out what the problem might be. Typically, graphical based software doesn't send those types of error messages to the graphical interface, but to the console instead. Only error dialogs after the program has started/in-program error messages are typically displayed in graphical dialog boxes via the graphical interface (if it's a graphical based program obviously).
 
Old 12-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
wayne1937
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 138

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
While you should consider installing at least CentOS 7 instead; you can try and launch it from the command-line/terminal and see what error messages it gives you to work out what the problem might be. Typically, graphical based software doesn't send those types of error messages to the graphical interface, but to the console instead. Only error dialogs after the program has started/in-program error messages are typically displayed in graphical dialog boxes via the graphical interface (if it's a graphical based program obviously).
Attempted to launch with command line below is the response:

[ddval@174-083-143-156 ~]$ thunderbird
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/thunderbird/libxul.so:
libldap60.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
[

Thanks for your early response.
 
Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
jsbjsb001
Registered User
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,440

Rep: Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782
It looks like it cannot find a required library (libldap60.so). It looks like it's supplied by the Thunderbird package, so you can try installing/reinstalling the thunderbird package.

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 12-22-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: posted the wrong library name
 
Old 12-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
wayne1937
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 138

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
It looks like it cannot find a required library (libldap60.so). It looks like it's supplied by the Thunderbird package, so you can try installing/reinstalling the thunderbird package.
Removed Thunderbird, and reinstalled same. Thunderbird won't start. I have switched to Evolution, and find it very satisfactory to my needs.

Why centOS 6 and not centOS 7. centOS installed on sixteen year old Gateway.

Memory 989.2 MIB. Processor 0 intel(R) Pentium(R)4 4cpu2.40GHZ
Processor 1 intel(R) Pentium(R)4 4cpu2.40GHZ

To install centOS 6 It required first install centOS 6 i386 257MIB Minimal.iso installer.
centOS 6 i386 1.6GB would then install.

Now that CentOS 6 is installed perhaps centOS 7 may install over centOS 6 ?? However, for my needs centOS 6 is great.

Last edited by wayne1937; 12-22-2019 at 01:10 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Got this email from Google after trying to log into Thunderbird. Is Thunderbird in-secure? Ajwad Linux - Newbie 2 02-19-2016 11:59 AM
HTTPD in Centos6 won't start im getting crazy ESER666 Linux - Server 4 12-14-2014 11:16 PM
thunderbird start failure after update Jul 23 - workaround ok fsauer Slackware 3 07-25-2014 10:09 AM
update from mozilla thunderbird 12.0.1 to mozilla thunderbird 13.0 herakles_14 Ubuntu 1 06-11-2012 02:49 AM
[SOLVED] Solved: Thunderbird does not start after update in FC7 MikeJH Fedora 0 11-17-2007 12:10 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration