Originally posted by joshknape
It's probably around one hundred items, so I could use that other method.
All right. Right now I don't have the patience to do screenshots, but I'll try my best to describe it.
1. Cut and paste the "the" section into a separate text (.txt) document. I mean cut
and paste, not copy and paste.
2. Save that document as temp.txt
3. Open up OpenOffice Calc.
4. Press Control-O.
5. Locate temp.txt, but under File Type
select Text CSV (*.csv,*.txt)
--you'll have to scroll down quite a bit to find it.
6. Then, under Separator Options
, select Fixed Width
7. Hover your mouse over the ruler bar. You'll see a vertical line appear where your mouse is. Put that vertical line just to the left of the words after "the." Then click so that the line sticks.
8. Press OK. You should have a spreadsheet with two columns--one column of "the" and another column of all the words after "the."
9. Repeat steps 1-8 with the "a" section.
10. Cut and paste the "a" section spreadsheet into the "the" spreadsheet. You should now have two columns--one column of "the" and "a" together, another column with their corresponding titles.
11. Cut and paste all the remaining titles (the non-article-prefaced ones) at the end of column B. Make all the empty cells in Column A xxx
12. Sort by column B. Now all of your titles should be sorted by actual title.
13. Cut and paste columns A and B together (one cut and paste that selects both columns) into a text document.
14. Go to "Find/Replace." Replace xxx
15. Your list should be sorted now.