LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
back up mistake


Trying to be clever I decided to back up the content of the hard drive using
Backup Tool . Thinking I had directed the backup to a blank DVD I set the process running only to find that it had filled up the hard drive so that there was no space left for any other use. even to get on to this site I had to delete quite a lot of files.
My question is where are these files stored so that I can either delete them or direct them to the DVD burner.
In step by step instructions if you please as I do not want to lose any more work. There must be a better way to backup!
 
Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Steve R.
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Morehead City, NC
Distribution: Mint 20.1
Posts: 499

Rep: Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
My question is where are these files stored so that I can either delete them or direct them to the DVD burner.
Look in "/var". My computer has two backup directories located under "/var". I am not familiar with "Backup Tool", so I can't advise you on how to use it nor identify where it may store your backup files.

However, I would suggest that you buy a USB hard drive as your backup storage device. They offer terabytes of storage. DVDs just don't have the storage volume of a USB hard drive.
 
Old 12-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 17,660
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499Reputation: 5499
I second Steve R's suggestion. Sizeable external USB drives are quite reasonably priced these days.

Unless a backup is to external media where it is isolated from a fatal system crash, it's not a backup. It's a replication.

Whatever the name of your backup tool, its help file, man page, or info page should identify the default backup location.

Last edited by frankbell; 12-03-2016 at 08:19 PM.
 
Old 12-04-2016, 03:38 AM   #4
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
I second Steve R's suggestion. Sizeable external USB drives are quite reasonably priced these days.

Unless a backup is to external media where it is isolated from a fatal system crash, it's not a backup. It's a replication.

Whatever the name of your backup tool, its help file, man page, or info page should identify the default backup location.
I agree, so why are the backup files dumped back on to the hard drive by default
 
Old 12-04-2016, 03:42 AM   #5
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
I agree, so why are the backup files dumped back on to the hard drive by default
By the way I had already tried to export via the usb route ,however I could not see a path in Backup Tool
 
Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #6
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
By the way I had already tried to export via the usb route ,however I could not see a path in Backup Tool
Does anyone know what Backup Tool calls these files & where it stores them . I have tried to find by date but no go
 
Old 12-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
fatmac
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey/Hants Border, UK
Distribution: Devuan (mainly)
Posts: 4,251

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I can't find any software called 'Backup Tool', where did you get it, does it have an online manual?

Try looking for a configuration file, places to look are in your home directory & /etc.
In it, you should find where it is saving your backup files.
 
Old 12-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #8
Steve R.
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Morehead City, NC
Distribution: Mint 20.1
Posts: 499

Rep: Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
I have tried to find by date but no go
I use Simple Backup, and the backup files have a "tar" extension which is normal for Linux backups. See if there are an unusual number of files with a "tar" extension in a directory.

Have you tried the installed Ubuntu app "Disk Usage Analyzer"? I have dabbled with it, but never had to use it to solve a problem. So I have no advice there, other than to look for directories that are really large.

Programs usually have a configuration screen. What about "Backup Tool"?

Last edited by Steve R.; 12-04-2016 at 06:54 AM.
 
Old 12-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 4,137
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873
If you know the name of the backup file(s) you can use find.

$ find / -iname '*partial*case*insensitive*name*'

If you haven't a clue, you can track down space usage.

$ cd /
$ du -h --max-depth=1
$ cd ./var/
$ du -h --max-depth=1
$ cd ./cache/
...

And on and on... You could also jump the shark a bit and create space. Most of what's under /usr/share/doc/ is sacrificial from a certain perspective. Depending on distro and things /tmp/ can be similar, and /var/cache/apt/archives/ for packages downloaded. Removal of the contents of which doesn't fix the issue, but it's a safe-ish way to get back in business in a crunch.

Long long ago and far far away, before udev was a thing I somehow piped / redirected output to /dev/null and it became a FILE and not a device. Which clobbered my drive space pretty quickly. Sometimes the "issue" isn't obvious, until it is. The joys of mknod and MAKEDEV back in the day.
 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
I use Simple Backup, and the backup files have a "tar" extension which is normal for Linux backups. See if there are an unusual number of files with a "tar" extension in a directory.

Have you tried the installed Ubuntu app "Disk Usage Analyzer"? I have dabbled with it, but never had to use it to solve a problem. So I have no advice there, other than to look for directories that are really large.

Programs usually have a configuration screen. What about "Backup Tool"?
I assumed that it came with Mint 17 package ,tried the above (QUOTE} ......no such directory. I have since read varying reports about BackupTool some not so good
 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
I assumed that it came with Mint 17 package ,tried the above (QUOTE} ......no such directory. I have since read varying reports about BackupTool some not so good
Tried disk usage analyser but could not make head or tail of it. May be it is because the drive is tight for space.
 
Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
If you know the name of the backup file(s) you can use find.

$ find / -iname '*partial*case*insensitive*name*'

If you haven't a clue, you can track down space usage.

$ cd /
$ du -h --max-depth=1
$ cd ./var/
$ du -h --max-depth=1
$ cd ./cache/
...

And on and on... You could also jump the shark a bit and create space. Most of what's under /usr/share/doc/ is sacrificial from a certain perspective. Depending on distro and things /tmp/ can be similar, and /var/cache/apt/archives/ for packages downloaded. Removal of the contents of which doesn't fix the issue, but it's a safe-ish way to get back in business in a crunch.

Long long ago and far far away, before udev was a thing I somehow piped / redirected output to /dev/null and it became a FILE and not a device. Which clobbered my drive space pretty quickly. Sometimes the "issue" isn't obvious, until it is. The joys of mknod and MAKEDEV back in the day.
Tried the above, result, invalid operation
 
Old 12-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #13
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 21,817

Rep: Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253Reputation: 4253
You cannot write directly to CD/DVD without configuring packet writing. A blank DVD can not be mounted so if you pointed the files to /dev/sr0 then they went to memory since /dev is a virtual filesystem. If so then just rebooting should restore things back to normal.

A FAT32 or NTFS drive should automatically mount to /media but if exFAT then you might need to install the fuse drivers.
 
Old 12-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #14
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
You cannot write directly to CD/DVD without configuring packet writing. A blank DVD can not be mounted so if you pointed the files to /dev/sr0 then they went to memory since /dev is a virtual filesystem. If so then just rebooting should restore things back to normal.

A FAT32 or NTFS drive should automatically mount to /media but if exFAT then you might need to install the fuse drivers.
Sadly the files are still bunging up the hard drive ,if I knew what &where I would delete them & try something like clonezilla
 
Old 12-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #15
steamer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Backup mistake

I have completely removed Mint Backup package which in turn removed Backup Tool which has reclaimed the free disk space on the HD
Thanks to everyone who replied ,sadly terminal commands are something of a "no go" area where yours truly is concerned
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Big mistake, Google. Big mistake: Chrome OS to be 'folded into Android' LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-29-2015 11:33 PM
Big Newbie Mistake...Deleted account, need files back cwwilson721 Slackware 10 10-22-2009 12:01 PM
Connecting 2 linux computer back to back with cross cable. michalng Linux - Networking 8 02-11-2009 07:00 AM
removed by mistake /home any possibility to get it back? borgibo Linux - Newbie 1 05-19-2008 01:22 PM
Mistake configuring X Window System; how do I get back to terminal? audiorevolution Debian 6 05-22-2005 02:06 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration