LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   audio editing advice please (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/audio-editing-advice-please-342208/)

solusrex 07-11-2005 02:19 PM

audio editing advice please
 
Hello,

I am 99.5% Linux these days, but every once in a while I need to fire up my old XP laptop when I fancy fiddling with sounds. Somewhere else on this site I had a brief chat with somebody who has been doing audio on linux for years so I thought I'd finally look into it and I'm quite impressed with some of the apps I've seen (particularly Hydrogen and Rosegarden). The one thing that dismays me totally is that I cannot seem to find 'markers' (as they're called in soundforge) in either Glame, Rezound or Audacity. Surely they're there....aren't they?...

All I use soundforge for is making mix-cds. I drop a marker on the first beat of a track, count 16,32, or whatever and press 'M' to drop another marker there. Voila un loop! A quick double click followed by Ctrl-E and my perfect loop is a new file. I can then pitch it to whatever tempo I like and carry on with other tracks. That way in almost realtime I can make beat perfect mix CDs for myself. However in the above Linux apps I cannot even find markers anywhere. Can anybody enlighten me please?

titanium_geek 07-11-2005 02:27 PM

markers? ummm... nope, can't seem to see them- which is weird because they are obviously an industry standard thing.

check out this new site- sounds like you might like it.
www.opensourcemusic.info

titanium_geek

solusrex 07-11-2005 02:45 PM

weird isn't it. Unfortunately it renders these otherwise fine apps totally useless.

I'm afraid your link is dead, but I shall try it again later. Cheers!

ctkroeker 07-11-2005 02:54 PM

here is the right link:
www.opensourcemusic.info

Electro 07-11-2005 03:03 PM

Try ardour.

ctkroeker 07-11-2005 03:16 PM

Cool.
http://ardour.org/

solusrex 07-12-2005 08:17 AM

alas I've tried running Ardour on loads of distros but it's never even started on most of them...

I guess Wine will never be able to run Windoze audio tools?

What do/did SGI IRIX users use for editing? Was it an older version of pro-tools? I would be happy to pay for a decent editor that included something as fundamental to audio editing as markers.

In the meantime I might try a live media (mediainlinux perhaps) distro. Perhaps their ardour works out of the box.

Cheers!

Oh yeah - thanks for the link!

solusrex 07-12-2005 09:42 AM

...got my hopes raised by sweep but no markers...

am i really the only person who uses the marker functions in Wavelab, Soundforge et al? Why haven't any developers thought about them? All terribly strange, a bit like building a train network without building stations...:scratch:

titanium_geek 07-12-2005 11:28 AM

this help?
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=marke...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

titanium_geek

Electro 07-13-2005 01:04 AM

The best way to install a program in Linux is to download the source, decompress it, compile, and install. Normally, package based distributions fail to install programs 90% of the time. The other 10% is you are one lucky bastard.

solusrex 07-14-2005 03:51 AM

i think the main problem with ardour is that I haven't got a frippin' clue about how to use jack...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.