LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
jross
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Anyone Get This Week's Chrome Update (flash)?


Adobe came out with a flash update on Tuesday and Chrome was supposed to issue it.

I have Chrome on Xubuntu 14.04 and XP and neither one has been updated yet. Ubuntu updates page lists last month's update as the current available.

Google's page http://googlechromereleases.blogspot...1_archive.html
says "We are updating Flash Player to version 14.0.0.145 on Windows and Mac via our component update system (i.e. there will not be a Chrome update)." And a lot of people in the comments are complaining about not getting it yet. I know this "component update" has messed up badly before when I just had windows, but this is the first time it has come up when I now have linux.

Has anyone received the Chrome flash update this week?
 
Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Here's what I have:
Quote:
You have version 14,0,0,125 installed
and Adobe says this:
Quote:
Chrome (Pepper-based Flash Player) 14.0.0.145
No sign of 14.0.0.145. Interestingly most of the search results involving pepperflashplayer involved instructions about how to disable it. Perhaps there's a message there.
jdk
 
Old 07-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
rcprimak
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2014
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
A Possible Workaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
Adobe came out with a flash update on Tuesday and Chrome was supposed to issue it.

I have Chrome on Xubuntu 14.04 and XP and neither one has been updated yet. Ubuntu updates page lists last month's update as the current available.

Google's page http://googlechromereleases.blogspot...1_archive.html
says "We are updating Flash Player to version 14.0.0.145 on Windows and Mac via our component update system (i.e. there will not be a Chrome update)." And a lot of people in the comments are complaining about not getting it yet. I know this "component update" has messed up badly before when I just had windows, but this is the first time it has come up when I now have linux.

Has anyone received the Chrome flash update this week?
I have Chromium on Ubuntu 14.04. This version of Chrome is open-sourced and does not get its own Pepper Flash plugin. It must be installed by downloading an applicable Chrome Installer (in this case, their rpm Beta) and extracting (with File Roller or the Ubuntu Archive Manager) the needed files to update libpepflashplayer.so and manifest.json in the appropriate palces inside the Chromium Browser. Normally, this process is done through the Ubuntu Software Center which has an automatic installer for this purpose. But the installer there is not up to date. And neither is the Linux Stable Channel version of Chrome or Chromium. So what to do?

Go to the Google Chrome Download site and download the Linux Offline Installer for Chrome Beta Channel.

Once downloaded, this will most likely be the rpm installer.

Ubuntu's Archive Manager (File Roller) can extract files from this installer for use wherever they are needed. I extracted to my Unity Desktop, as there are only two files we are interested in.

They live in the Installer's driectory ./opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/ (the Top Level Directory as seen by Archive Manager is labeled simply ".") and are named libpepflashplayer.so and manifest.json. Upon extraction, you need to run Nautilus as Root and copy/paste the libpepflashplayer.so library to both the /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree and /usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer directories of your current Chromium installation. The manifest.json file is only needed in the /usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer directory.

I rebooted and restarted Chromium to make sure the plugin was updated completely.

The "chrome : plugins" listing is still 14.0.0.125, but this is not true. Testing at the official Adobe Flash Player test pages (all three of them) returns the result as version 14.0.,0.145, which I believe is true.

So while this is not a fully compliant component update, it appears the security fixes are applied and all should be well.

Update: My method was incomplete. There's one last cosmetic step to take.

Using any Editor with Root privileges, edit /usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer/pepflashplayer.sh to read the current version where listed in the file. It only appears once, and it's a short file. Now everything's in sync and up to date.

Chromium now displays in "chrome : plugins" the .145 version number. When tested at the three Adobe Test Pages, the Pepper Flash version was revealed to be the .145 upgrade, just as it should be. All security requirements should now be met, and Chromium itself knows it has had the update.

Feel free to reply if I am wrong about any of this.

Last edited by rcprimak; 07-12-2014 at 07:59 PM.
 
Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
jross
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 164

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm not sure what they mean by "component update system (i.e. there will not be a Chrome update)."

Does that mean that they have no actual Chrome fixes and therefore they will just do the flash by itself? But does that present a problem with the linux version since it is geared as a "unit"?

I've only been on linux for a few months and the last two monthly Chrome updates (which coincide usually with the monthly flash update) have been the normal entire "Chrome update"). I do know this "component update" is going badly for windows and mac users (and has in the past), but I wonder now if they have to do the linux version a different way and thus delay it even more?
 
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
rcprimak
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2014
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
I'm not sure what they mean by "component update system (i.e. there will not be a Chrome update)."

Does that mean that they have no actual Chrome fixes and therefore they will just do the flash by itself? But does that present a problem with the linux version since it is geared as a "unit"?

I've only been on linux for a few months and the last two monthly Chrome updates (which coincide usually with the monthly flash update) have been the normal entire "Chrome update"). I do know this "component update" is going badly for windows and mac users (and has in the past), but I wonder now if they have to do the linux version a different way and thus delay it even more?
Component Update is an internal mechanism in which only the component which needs the update is updated. I.E. this means that there is no new version of Chrome itself. For Linux users the same issues should apply as for Windows users. But there has been no announcement as of this posting of how or when Linux users would get the Component Update this time around.

Part of the problem is that Component Update has not been mandatory until Chrome 35, which is the newest stable version. The AUR interface is also new, and it breaks some features for Linux users. Fixes have not been perfected, hence the delay in Linux distros including Chrome/Chromium 35 in their repos. So, Chrome 35 is sort of still in Beta for Linux.

(The official Beta Chromium is now Version 36, which I have installed. Since I do not compile from Source, there are no Google API Keys -- also a new mandatory feature in Chrome 35 upwards -- and no easy way to install them into a pre-compiled version of Chromium. Fortunately, I don't use the Chromium features which need these Keys.)

Linux users who are using Chrome itself, not the open-sourced Chromium Browser, can always download and install the latest Stable Channel Chrome for Linux installer, which should have the latest Pepper Flash Plugin already installed. Even if the Chrome version number hasn't changed (and the dot-version numbers have always changed in the past) the present installer from Google for Chrome for Linux should contain the latest Pepper Flash version. To get the new version of Chrome to install may require uninstalling your existing version if Google has not updated the Chrome version number, as some have posted elsewhere may be the case for the Linux version this time.

If the normal updating methods do not work, the basic structures of Chromium and Chrome in Ubuntu Linux are the same. So my procedure should work for the Chrome update via the Beta Installer rpm download just as well as it works for the Chromium update. (Don't forget to update the Pepper Flash .sh File contents as in my updated posting.) The Chrome Beta Installer is used in either case, Chromium or Chrome.

I have no reason to expect that the Stable Channel installer would not (eventually) get the same Pepper Flash Update as the Beta Channel installer. Not to do so would be truly crazy on Google's part.

If things do not work out using these tips, please post so we can work out a better solution for Linux Chrome users.

All things considered, this Component Update mechanism has not been very successful for Linux users, as far as my reading online has determined so far.

Last edited by rcprimak; 07-14-2014 at 09:05 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
jross
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 164

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprimak View Post
Component Update is an internal mechanism in which only the component which needs the update is updated. I.E. this means that there is no new version of Chrome itself. For Linux users the same issues should apply as for Windows users. But there has been no announcement as of this posting of how or when Linux users would get the Component Update this time around.
Has linux gotten the component update before?

Quote:
Linux users who are using Chrome itself, not the open-sourced Chromium Browser, can always download and install the latest Stable Channel Chrome for Linux installer, which should have the latest Pepper Flash Plugin already installed. Even if the Chrome version number hasn't changed (and the dot-version numbers have always changed in the past) the present installer from Google for Chrome for Linux should contain the latest Pepper Flash version. To get the new version of Chrome to install may require uninstalling your existing version if Google has not updated the Chrome version number, as some have posted elsewhere may be the case for the Linux version this time.
Good point.

Quote:
All things considered, this Component Update mechanism has not been very successful for Linux users, as far as my reading online has determined so far.
I still can't get in on Windows either and I'm reading others are having the same problem.

Thanks for all your great input rcprimak. Right now I just disabled the flash and am waiting it out to see what happens. Haven't needed it yet. Even you tube has been giving me non flash version for awhile, which I thought you had to opt for, but I never did anything on my end for that.
 
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
rcprimak
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2014
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Windows should have updated several days ago for Chrome.

No, the Linux versions of chrome/Chromium do not seem to have at this time a working internal Component Updates mechanism, from what I've been reading.

Flash Player is needed for sites which use the jwplayer, such as the television networks, Hulu Plus, PBS Video, and many local news organizations. Disabling Flash is not an option for me. Your mileage may vary.

Linux Chrome reallly needs to be brought up to speed about Component Updates.

UPDATE: Wed., July 16, 2014 --

Ubuntu Software Center Updater just gave me the Pepper Flash 14.0.0.145 update for Chromium for Linux. If I had Chromium 34, this might have also updated to Chromium 35. But on my system, I already have Chromium 36 Beta, and already updated to Pepper Flash 14.0.0.145, so nothing actually updated on my system. At least nothing regresssed to an earlier version!

So it appears that Chromium users using Ubuntu Linux now have gotten our Pepper Flash update. Fully ten days after the security issue was identified. Very slow perfomrance!

Last edited by rcprimak; 07-16-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: updated information
 
Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
jross
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 164

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Today just received through the ubuntu software updater a new version of Chrome (Chrome 36.0.1985.125) which of course includes the newest flash. However, the "components update" never came for linux, and the flash was out of date for 10 days. For me, It worked out I just disabled flash and could have used Firefox if I had really needed flash during that time. But how many people who don't pay attention to this stuff and have been sold on the idea that "chrome just updates everything when necessary, so you don't have to worry" were put at risk for over a week?

From Chrome:

"Stable Channel Update
The Chrome Team is excited to announce the promotion of Chrome 36 to the Stable channel for Windows, Mac and Linux. Chrome 36.0.1985.125 contains a number of fixes and improvements, including:
Rich Notifications Improvements
An Updated Incognito / Guest NTP design
The addition of a Browser crash recovery bubble
Chrome App Launcher for Linux
Lots of under the hood changes for stability and performance

This update includes 26 security fixes."

I have no idea what the "Chrome App Launcher for Linux" is???
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yesterday Chrome was updated to Version 36.0.1985.125 and I saw that now Pepperflash is at version 14.0.0.145.
jdk
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CDbaby - Chrome - flash Dafydd General 2 10-06-2012 06:56 AM
LXer: This week at LWN: The Cr-48 and Chrome OS: Google's vision of the net LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-03-2011 10:50 PM
LXer: Chrome team sets six-week cadence for new major versions LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-24-2010 02:20 AM
LXer: Week in tech: Chrome OS, HTML5, China, Ubuntu 10.04a, and Firefox 3.6 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-24-2010 04:30 AM
LXer: Is Google Chrome OS arriving this week? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-17-2009 07:50 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration