LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Skaperen
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: WV, USA
Distribution: Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Slackware, Amazon Linux, OpenBSD, LFS (on Sparc_32 and i386)
Posts: 2,230
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 161Reputation: 161
Account creation on prosody


I'm trying to get the prosody server for Jabber/XMPP clients to work. I have it configured to listen ONLY to 127.0.0.1. Users will connect by forwarding a port through an ssh login to the server that runs prosody. The problem I'm running into is that no one can login. The ssh part works fine, but logging in to prosody within the machine is failing. At least one user is using pidgin and reports it failing. I tried irssi and it just drops connection without any message.

Perhaps these clients are not even compatible? I've also been trying to find other clients to try, but I need one in text mode and those seem hard to find. One that was originally designed for XMPP rather than adding it on later might be preferred.

Is there a way to create accounts on prosody from just a shell login (even with sudo/root)? I'd rather not have users just creating accounts there on the fly (which it seems to have the ability to do according to documentation).
 
Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
MattJ100
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
I'm trying to get the prosody server for Jabber/XMPP clients to work. I have it configured to listen ONLY to 127.0.0.1. Users will connect by forwarding a port through an ssh login to the server that runs prosody. The problem I'm running into is that no one can login. The ssh part works fine, but logging in to prosody within the machine is failing. At least one user is using pidgin and reports it failing. I tried irssi and it just drops connection without any message.
There's no technical reason you can't run XMPP over an SSH tunnel. What is the error you get when you try?

Quote:
Perhaps these clients are not even compatible? I've also been trying to find other clients to try, but I need one in text mode and those seem hard to find. One that was originally designed for XMPP rather than adding it on later might be preferred.
These clients are definitely compatible with Prosody. When I need a console XMPP client I use mcabber (XMPP from the ground up).

Quote:
Is there a way to create accounts on prosody from just a shell login (even with sudo/root)? I'd rather not have users just creating accounts there on the fly (which it seems to have the ability to do according to documentation).
Yes, see the Creating Accounts page in the Prosody documentation.

Hope this helps,
Matthew
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tools for user account creation/permissions bajones Linux - Newbie 1 12-31-2008 08:43 PM
Ftp account creation rdchalke Linux - Newbie 1 11-18-2007 01:31 PM
Automate user account creation bczm8703 Programming 6 06-12-2007 10:20 PM
Web-Based Linux Account Creation br00tal Programming 2 02-21-2006 06:42 PM
automatic user account creation in mail server kar11 Linux - Software 0 04-14-2004 12:55 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration