LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
kjg0508
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
<$cp weston.ini ~/.config> in this command what does ~/. mean?


Copy the weston.ini config file to ~/.config and edit it to set a background image that you like. Then run the compositor by typing:

$ ./weston


following this tutorial
I can't understand and can't follow that message
What am I do?

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/building.html
this is whole tutorial

Last edited by kjg0508; 04-17-2013 at 03:59 AM.
 
Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 7.7 (?), Centos 8.1
Posts: 17,814

Rep: Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553Reputation: 2553
Do what it says; that's why its a tutorial.

You just need to know that '~' (in this context) means $HOME which means your home dir; typically /home/you/.
Also if a filename begins with '.' (dot) then its normally hidden; use the -a switch on ls to find it ie
Code:
ls -a
You'll find these worth bookmarking & reading
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-G...tml/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

HTH
 
Old 04-17-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
kjg0508
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Do what it says; that's why its a tutorial.

You just need to know that '~' (in this context) means $HOME which means your home dir; typically /home/you/.
Also if a filename begins with '.' (dot) then its normally hidden; use the -a switch on ls to find it ie
Code:
ls -a
You'll find these worth bookmarking & reading
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-G...tml/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

HTH


Then where should I command $./weston
In ~/.config directory???

I did that nothing happended but "no file or directory"

Last edited by kjg0508; 04-17-2013 at 04:16 AM.
 
Old 04-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,502

Rep: Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617
we all started someplace
But did you read the first two sentences?
Quote:
The instructions below assume some familiarity with git and building and running experimental software. Also, be prepared for the fact that this project isn't at all useful right now, it's still very much a prototype.
copy that weston.ini text file to the folder called ".config" . it is in your home folder

do not link it , copy it

from the folder that has "weston.ini" in it run
Code:
cp weston.ini ~/.config
 
Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
kjg0508
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yeah I did cp weston.ini ~/.config

Then I command $ ./weston nothing to happend but no file or directory respond

what directory can I run weston using command $./weston???
 
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,502

Rep: Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Then I command $ ./weston nothing to happend but no file or directory respond
this command requires you to BE in the folder that HAS the binary program "weston" hence the "./" part
this is very BASIC linux commands
please learn them !

also weston is still ALPHA testing ONLY !!!!!
it mostly dose not work yet !

please STUDY the links that "chrism01" posted
to learn the very basics that you are missing .

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-G...tml/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
kjg0508
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
this command requires you to BE in the folder that HAS the binary program "weston" hence the "./" part
this is very BASIC linux commands
please learn them !

also weston is still ALPHA testing ONLY !!!!!
it mostly dose not work yet !

please STUDY the links that "chrism01" posted
to learn the very basics that you are missing .

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-G...tml/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
Oh Thanks
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Wayland 1.0 With Weston Has Been Branched LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-10-2012 08:21 PM
LXer: Wayland's Weston Running On Android LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-25-2012 09:20 AM
Command line INI / config file editor cioannou Linux - Software 4 05-26-2009 05:21 PM
remove *.ini in all Dirs with one command Dankles Slackware 10 11-03-2005 09:56 PM
Boot.ini config problem megadeth Linux - Software 2 04-16-2005 07:58 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration