LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
ganesh24pal@gmail.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: CentOS , Fedora, Open Suse
Posts: 169

Rep: Reputation: 3
Squid Proxy data transfer via download and Upload is very slow.


Dear Team,

We have Squid 3 installed on Ubuntu 13 server.
We have 40 MB Internet Pipe coming on Firewall Device . Problem is that When user downloading or uploading data vi Proxy server there data Transfer is very slow.
 
Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 13,837

Rep: Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh24pal@gmail.com View Post
Dear Team,

We have Squid 3 installed on Ubuntu 13 server.
We have 40 MB Internet Pipe coming on Firewall Device . Problem is that When user downloading or uploading data vi Proxy server there data Transfer is very slow.
Ok, and as you've been told MANY times now, unless you provide DETAILS, there's nothing we can help you with. You say NOTHING about what the 'firewall device' is, how fast IT is, what kinds of speeds you're seeing, what logs you've checked, iptables/NAT rules, etc. Have you, as the administrator, checked ANYTHING yet? Is this a new problem? Has anything changed recently? Tried restarting squid? Flushing the cache? Any rule changes?? ANY details at all????

See your MANY other threads about Squid...pay particular attention to the ones you've asked about delay pools, transparent proxy, and bandwidth throttling, and think about how any of those topics would relate to slowing down of data transfer.
 
Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
ganesh24pal@gmail.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: CentOS , Fedora, Open Suse
Posts: 169

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
Thanks Tb0ne,

This is ISP issue. Now its working fine.

We had escalated to ISP and ISP confirm issue with there end.
 
Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 AM   #4
ganesh24pal@gmail.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: CentOS , Fedora, Open Suse
Posts: 169

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
Now Downloading speed is proper now it is 40 MB. but uploading is only 5 MB maximum.Internet is coming on direct Proxy server.
 
Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 13,837

Rep: Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh24pal@gmail.com View Post
Now Downloading speed is proper now it is 40 MB. but uploading is only 5 MB maximum.Internet is coming on direct Proxy server.
And??? Is this a problem? Did you check with your ISP to see what your UPLOAD speed is? You don't get the same speed for uploads as you do for downloads...
 
Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
ganesh24pal@gmail.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: CentOS , Fedora, Open Suse
Posts: 169

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
And??? Is this a problem? Did you check with your ISP to see what your UPLOAD speed is? You don't get the same speed for uploads as you do for downloads...
OK but it should be half means 10 mb to 20 mb at least. We had connect it on direct windows 7 system and checked it go up to 25 to 30 MB upload speed.

Last edited by ganesh24pal@gmail.com; 02-13-2014 at 11:23 PM.
 
Old 02-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #7
markotitel
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Titel - Serbia
Posts: 155

Rep: Reputation: 18
Ganesh, still no squid.conf , guess you actually dont need any help?

But maybe you could try speedtest from squid box and see the upload form that box.

Use command line speedtest http://xmodulo.com/2014/01/check-int...ine-linux.html

Also, afaik delay pools wont affect UPLOAD speeds.
 
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
ganesh24pal@gmail.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: CentOS , Fedora, Open Suse
Posts: 169

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markotitel View Post
Ganesh, still no squid.conf , guess you actually dont need any help?

But maybe you could try speedtest from squid box and see the upload form that box.

Use command line speedtest http://xmodulo.com/2014/01/check-int...ine-linux.html

Also, afaik delay pools wont affect UPLOAD speeds.
I will share you squid.conf file soon.

we had checked through speedtest website and we able to get download speed 35 to 40 MB bot upload is not going above 4 to 5 MB.

Details:-
Suid 3
Ubuntu 13.

Last edited by ganesh24pal@gmail.com; 02-14-2014 at 05:53 AM.
 
Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
ganesh24pal@gmail.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: CentOS , Fedora, Open Suse
Posts: 169

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
PFA of sqid.conf
Attached Files
File Type: txt squid1.txt (208.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by ganesh24pal@gmail.com; 02-14-2014 at 05:59 AM. Reason: attachment
 
Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
markotitel
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Titel - Serbia
Posts: 155

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh24pal@gmail.com View Post
I will share you squid.conf file soon.

we had checked through speedtest website and we able to get download speed 35 to 40 MB bot upload is not going above 4 to 5 MB.

Details:-
Suid 3
Ubuntu 13.
So you have 5 MB upload as you tested. I dont see the problem then.

Also I just lost 5 minutes of life checking commented squid.conf, woth 15 lines of actual config which is below default config recommends.

But hardly you can brake something woth this config in order to get slow uploads. If your SQUID server has 5Mbps upload speed test then it is 5Mbps for squid users also.
 
Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 13,837

Rep: Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh24pal@gmail.com View Post
OK but it should be half means 10 mb to 20 mb at least. We had connect it on direct windows 7 system and checked it go up to 25 to 30 MB upload speed.
Ok, so you say when you BYPASS the squid server, it's faster? Yeah, that seems exactly right...so again, what's the problem?? If your squid server is limiting the speeds, then it's doing EXACTLY what you told it to do, which means there is no problem.

As a test, have you tried to put a Linux workstation 'direct', to see how fast it goes??

Last edited by TB0ne; 02-14-2014 at 09:27 AM.
 
Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
ganesh24pal@gmail.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: CentOS , Fedora, Open Suse
Posts: 169

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markotitel View Post
So you have 5 MB upload as you tested. I dont see the problem then.

Also I just lost 5 minutes of life checking commented squid.conf, woth 15 lines of actual config which is below default config recommends.

But hardly you can brake something woth this config in order to get slow uploads. If your SQUID server has 5Mbps upload speed test then it is 5Mbps for squid users also.
no i tested at userend.
 
Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 13,837

Rep: Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh24pal@gmail.com View Post
no i tested at userend.
...which STILL TELLS US NOTHING. What do you mean by this? Having to guess at EVERYTHING is tiresome...again, unless you provide DETAILS and ask a clear question, there is not much point in posting.
 
Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
seeklinux
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
downloading speed too slow

hello i am using squid 3 on CentOs 5.6 and i have wan ip and download speed is 10mbps when i am using his ip direct on xp or win7 macine but when i make CentOs squid proxy server or transparent server my clients get too slow download speed like 100kbps but for smaller files as well larger one also my configuraion is too simple no delay pools just i have masquerade and cache_mem 20mb
eth0=wan
eth1=lan
iptables are as

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

single acl for lan i-e
acl my-net src 192.168.0.0/24
http_access allow my-net

visible_hostname varan

http_port 192.168.0.1:3128 transparent

what should i do next so i get rid of clients complaint of slow download speed.
 
Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 13,837

Rep: Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeklinux View Post
hello i am using squid 3 on CentOs 5.6 and i have wan ip and download speed is 10mbps when i am using his ip direct on xp or win7 macine but when i make CentOs squid proxy server or transparent server my clients get too slow download speed like 100kbps but for smaller files as well larger one also my configuraion is too simple no delay pools just i have masquerade and cache_mem 20mb
eth0=wan
eth1=lan
iptables are as

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

single acl for lan i-e
acl my-net src 192.168.0.0/24
http_access allow my-net

visible_hostname varan

http_port 192.168.0.1:3128 transparent

what should i do next so i get rid of clients complaint of slow download speed.
What you need to do first is open your own thread for your own question, and not hijack someone elses. Please read the LQ Rules. Second, if you only have 10MB/s and you're SHARING that, you will quite OBVIOUSLY have slower speed, since that one connection is being used for SEVERAL people. And please see what we asked the OP of this thread about providing DETAILS...you say NOTHING about your network environment, type of hardware, machine, NIC's being used, etc.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Upload & Download ftp Data transfer through Browser vijith.pa@gmail.com Linux - Newbie 6 09-20-2010 06:33 AM
[SOLVED] Not able to upload videos to youtube using the Squid proxy server chandramani_yadav Linux - Server 4 08-13-2009 02:26 AM
slow download/upload on ethernet Sammael Linux - Networking 7 07-15-2006 05:42 PM
check the total data transfer (squid proxy ) deepak rawat Linux - Networking 8 04-20-2006 07:22 AM
No able to Upload file to FTP serve using squid proxy simplyrahul Linux - General 2 02-16-2005 04:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration