LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
simopal6
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 230

Rep: Reputation: 30
Samba: no smb prompt after successful smbclient


Hello!
I'm running a Slackware machine, and I would like to access my other Windows PC's files with samba.

This is what i've done:

shell> smbclient -L WIN_BOX -U winuser

The command works, i get a list of the services offered by the computer, but after the list i get no smb:\> prompt, smbclient exits and i get back to the linux shell.

Any help?
Thanks!

EDIT: i thought i had put this thread inside the "networking" section.. My mistake or somebody moved it?

Last edited by simopal6; 04-06-2007 at 03:21 AM.
 
Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
deadeyes
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 609

Rep: Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by simopal6
Hello!
I'm running a Slackware machine, and I would like to access my other Windows PC's files with samba.

This is what i've done:

shell> smbclient -L WIN_BOX -U winuser

The command works, i get a list of the services offered by the computer, but after the list i get no smb:\> prompt, smbclient exits and i get back to the linux shell.

Any help?
Thanks!

EDIT: i thought i had put this thread inside the "networking" section.. My mistake or somebody moved it?
I think the -L option just list the shares.
You can see how to connect with "man smbclient"

use something like this:
smbclient //hostname/director
Could be that you need to specify a password (empty one)
 
Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
simopal6
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
You were right, thanks.

I've got another little problem: inside smb shell, if i press TAB to auto-complete filenames, it auto-completes not according to the files in the current smb directory, but according to the directory from where i've run smbclient.
Can this be fixed?

Thanks to everyone.
 
Old 04-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
deadeyes
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 609

Rep: Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by simopal6
You were right, thanks.

I've got another little problem: inside smb shell, if i press TAB to auto-complete filenames, it auto-completes not according to the files in the current smb directory, but according to the directory from where i've run smbclient.
Can this be fixed?

Thanks to everyone.
So, if you tab, then you get the local files instead of the remote files?

I don't know but maybe it depends on if you are putting or getting something.
 
Old 04-08-2007, 03:06 AM   #5
simopal6
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes
So, if you tab, then you get the local files instead of the remote files?
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes
I don't know but maybe it depends on if you are putting or getting something.
It happens both with 'get' and 'put'. I've got samba 3.0.22.

Can this be a configuration problem? My smb.conf is empty.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samba in Debian, smb.conf: smb passwd file = ?????????? henrnorl Linux - Software 1 10-06-2006 09:43 AM
how could i navigate in a shell prompt to smb Paxmaster Linux - Networking 3 01-24-2005 09:31 PM
Can't authenticate to samba with smbclient palmercabel Linux - Networking 8 12-04-2003 02:57 PM
Samba 3.0 smbclient authentication davidsrsb Slackware 1 11-06-2003 09:17 AM
SMB, user prompt , I can not conect to linux from windows. fabianCastle Linux - General 3 05-05-2003 08:12 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration