LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
centos123
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 397

Rep: Reputation: 16
prompting guest login in windows


i had samba file server on centos.mapped mydocument of win xp with sharing dir of fileserver.given permission to dir is 755.
issue is while accessing other user samba share dir from win xp it prompt login/password window with login name guest.guest is written bydefault and in disable mode.i cannot change username.
i only have to enter password.
when i enter password of that user it authorized me to access dir.
Now i want is that, windows should prompt user account name in place of guest account in login.
 
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,660

Rep: Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by centos123 View Post
i had samba file server on centos.mapped mydocument of win xp with sharing dir of fileserver.given permission to dir is 755.
issue is while accessing other user samba share dir from win xp it prompt login/password window with login name guest.guest is written bydefault and in disable mode.i cannot change username.
i only have to enter password.
when i enter password of that user it authorized me to access dir.
Now i want is that, windows should prompt user account name in place of guest account in login.
It depends on how you have the Samba share set up. Directions are here:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/De...nfiguring.html

It also depends on how you're attaching from Windows. If memory serves, you can attach as a guest, or attach as another user. Depending on which option you click, you'll be able to enter different credentials or not.
 
Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
centos123
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 397

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
It depends on how you have the Samba share set up. Directions are here:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/De...nfiguring.html

It also depends on how you're attaching from Windows. If memory serves, you can attach as a guest, or attach as another user. Depending on which option you click, you'll be able to enter different credentials or not.

i check the site and all is ok.
changing security = share to user it doesn't show guest.but it also didnot allow to access other account....

so i changed again to share...
now what to do...
 
Old 08-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,660

Rep: Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by centos123 View Post
i check the site and all is ok.
changing security = share to user it doesn't show guest.but it also didnot allow to access other account....

so i changed again to share...now what to do...
I suggested in my first response to check Windows, and see if there was an option there to connect as another user. Is there? From what little I know of Windows, I think it'll try to pass some credentials unless you tell it otherwise.

Windows Vista here lets you do it, and it's set up the same way.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KVM: Mouse under Windows Guest performs way better than under Centos Guest martdj Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 3 03-29-2010 04:20 AM
Always prompting login form when anonymous users try download files from ftp??? gavin2u Linux - Server 1 03-22-2010 01:32 AM
Keeps Prompting for Login Screen rickylim Linux - General 2 09-18-2009 06:30 AM
Samba shows shared folders in Windows but a Guest login pops up when trying to access ciphe Linux - Software 4 08-20-2007 11:55 AM
SAMBA on FC4 - Windows keeps prompting for password dhoro Linux - Software 3 07-25-2005 03:14 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration