-   Linux - Server (
-   -   ISC DHCPD and Windows Clients (

YankeePride13 02-19-2013 10:36 AM

ISC DHCPD and Windows Clients

I know that this is not a Windows forum, but I assume there are some DHCPd admins out there that have Windows clients. Anyway, here's my situation:

We recently changed our DNS servers and I have made the appropriate change in the dhcpd.conf file. I restarted dhcpd and all of the Linux/Mac clients took the new DNS hosts without a problem.

Unfortunately, the Windows clients did not take the new DNS servers automatically. Only after running ipconfig /release && /renew multiple times did the Windows client finally accept the new DNS servers. Has anyone encountered this before?

The problem for us is, our business has hundreds if not thousands of client Windows machines. We don't have the man power to go to every machine individually to manually set the DNS servers. Hopefully one of you kind fellows has run into this and knows of a quick fix. Thanks in advance!

whizje 02-20-2013 09:08 PM

Maybe through network

YankeePride13 02-21-2013 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by whizje (Post 4896341)

We have so many PCs, to create a batch script and place it on every machine would be equivalent to just doing the ip release renew commands manually. As of today, the Windows machines (in our test subnet) have finally taken the new DNS. It just took way long than it should have. We had reduced the lease time to 24 hours a long while back, yet it took 5 days for the DNS servers to be set on the new Windows machines. (Linux and Mac took them very quickly, at about the half way mark through the lease.

Unless anyone brings any other info, we will probably have both DNS servers online for a little while and just monitor what machines are still talking to the old DNS after a week and manually release/renew them.

whizje 02-21-2013 10:52 AM

I meant create a batch job on a server which accesses all the pc's to put a script on them. Computers are made to automate stuf.

YankeePride13 02-22-2013 03:59 PM

Ended up figuring out the issue, figured I'd post what happened here for future admins to hopefully find. Here's the link with info that helped me figure out what was happening, as this person had the same exact issue I did:

I ended up removing the global domain-name-server option and specified our old DNS in the subnets we were not testing explicitly. Without a global domain-name-server option, DHCPInform requests that were sent out during the Windows Update process did not return any DNS servers and the machines continued to use the DNS servers returned in the DHCPOffer.

That was a fun one.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.