LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Beating my head against the email wall - cannot receive email


Greetings -

I'm killing myself trying to figure out how to receive email to my server. I can send email all day without any problems, but am yet to receive a single email not sent locally.

I'm using exim4 to send, mutt to read. What else do I need to do? I'm really at a loss.

MX record via dig:
Code:
dazed@duff:~$ dig mx grimdar.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.1 <<>> mx grimdar.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 31457
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;grimdar.com.                   IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
grimdar.com.            86400   IN      MX      50 mail.grimdar.com.

;; Query time: 39 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Sep  1 00:10:55 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 50
Now with regard to mail.grimdar.com, there is no box named that. Don't know if that is important or not, like I said I'm really at a loss here and have found nothing helpful (that I recognize as helpful anyway) as far as just how an MX record should look and what all the parts of such a record relate to.

What other information can I supply you with? Any help is sincerely appreciated.
 
Old 08-31-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
chort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, USA
Distribution: OpenBSD 4.6, OS X 10.6.2, CentOS 4 & 5
Posts: 3,660

Rep: Reputation: 69
Code:
[chort@horus4 chort]$ dig +short mail.grimdar.com
68.57.212.10
[chort@horus4 chort]$ telnet mail.grimdar.com 25
Trying 68.57.212.10...
telnet: connect to address 68.57.212.10: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
Port 25/tcp is blocked.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Matir
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 8,507

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
If there is no mail.grimdar.com box, where do you expect incoming mail to come to? The MX record is what all remote servers use to look up the mailservers handling delivery for grimdar.com. If you want to point mail to, say, server1.grimdar.com, change the MX record to reflect that.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matir View Post
If there is no mail.grimdar.com box, where do you expect incoming mail to come to? The MX record is what all remote servers use to look up the mailservers handling delivery for grimdar.com. If you want to point mail to, say, server1.grimdar.com, change the MX record to reflect that.
Ok, thanks. I did change the record now to point to duff.grimdar.com, which is a legit target. I shot an email to rolf@grimdar.com after making the change but it never arrived (or hasn't arrived after twenty minutes, and i do not believe it will arrive). See my next reply about port 25 if that's any help. I continue to be at my wit's end over this issue.

Last edited by dazed-and-confused; 09-01-2008 at 06:45 AM.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chort View Post
Code:
[chort@horus4 chort]$ dig +short mail.grimdar.com
68.57.212.10
[chort@horus4 chort]$ telnet mail.grimdar.com 25
Trying 68.57.212.10...
telnet: connect to address 68.57.212.10: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
Port 25/tcp is blocked.
Right I did change the MX record to point to duff.grimdar.com, but my remote telnet session still gives the same time out. Below is a dump of my results. Can you educate me on why port 25 being blocked or inaccessible is impacting my mail receipt? I thought mail went outbound on 25 and inbound on 110? Or is that just pop3 mail and does not apply in my setup?
Code:
rolf@asgard:~$ telnet duff.grimdar.com 25
telnet: could not resolve duff.grimdar.com/25: Name or service not known
rolf@asgard:~$ telnet grimdar.com 25
telnet: could not resolve grimdar.com/25: Name or service not known
rolf@asgard:~$ telnet www.grimdar.com 25
Trying 68.57.212.10...
telnet: connect to address 68.57.212.10: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
 
Old 09-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
For more information, I hope, here is a tail of my /var/log/exim4/mainlog - which has really never shown any errors. I sent out a test email from duff.grimdar.com to my comcast.net email, which worked as expected and has always worked.
Code:
2008-09-01 06:24:15 End queue run: pid=5170
2008-09-01 07:24:15 Start queue run: pid=5806
2008-09-01 07:24:15 End queue run: pid=5806
2008-09-01 07:32:20 1Ka7ds-0001W9-9i <= rolf@grimdar.com U=rolf P=local S=478 id=20080901113220.GA5829@duff.grimdar.com
2008-09-01 07:32:21 1Ka7ds-0001W9-9i => rolf@comcast.net R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost H=smtp.g.comcast.net [76.96.62.117] X=TLS-1.0:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32 DN="C=US,ST=Pennsylvania,L=Philadelphia,O=Comcast Cable Communications Management LLC,OU=Business Center,CN=smtp.comcast.net"
2008-09-01 07:32:21 1Ka7ds-0001W9-9i Completed
 
Old 09-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
ledow
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware 13.0
Posts: 241

Rep: Reputation: 34
duff.grimdar.com doesn't resolve to an IP address at all for me. And
http://www.mxtoolbox.com tells me that it isn't just me that can't resolve duff.grimdar.com! mail.grimdar.com did resolve - it's just that it's port was blocked.

The MX record should point (eventually) to a valid, globally resolveable name from which an IP address can be obtained from every DNS server in the world. The computer at that IP address needs port 25 open and to have mail server software running. You haven't got the first step working.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
ledow
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware 13.0
Posts: 241

Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed-and-confused View Post
I sent out a test email from duff.grimdar.com to my comcast.net email, which worked as expected and has always worked.
Sending is completely different to receiving. You need almost NOTHING to send an email correctly (although it's more likely to get spam-filtered without being from a valid domain etc.).

All that log says is that it sent an email to Comcast. That's got nothing to do with you recieving email addressed to @yourdomain.com
 
Old 09-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow View Post
duff.grimdar.com doesn't resolve to an IP address at all for me. And
http://www.mxtoolbox.com tells me that it isn't just me that can't resolve duff.grimdar.com! mail.grimdar.com did resolve - it's just that it's port was blocked.
ledow, thanks for the reply. Maybe since I just updated the MX record the changes need time to disperse? I don't know why else duff.grimdar.com would not resolve.

Quote:
The MX record should point (eventually) to a valid, globally resolveable name from which an IP address can be obtained from every DNS server in the world. The computer at that IP address needs port 25 open and to have mail server software running. You haven't got the first step working.
Ok, I went out to joker.com and looked at my A record - no entry for duff.grimdar.com, so I added one. Now the record looks like this:
Code:
Host  				Target  	   	 
duff.grimdar.com		68.57.212.10
www.grimdar.com			68.57.212.10
mail.grimdar.com		68.57.212.10

MX-Records 
Priority  	 Mail server (from) 	Target mail server (to) 	  	 
50			grimdar.com		duff.grimdar.com

Last edited by dazed-and-confused; 09-01-2008 at 07:34 AM.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow View Post
Sending is completely different to receiving. You need almost NOTHING to send an email correctly (although it's more likely to get spam-filtered without being from a valid domain etc.).

All that log says is that it sent an email to Comcast. That's got nothing to do with you recieving email addressed to @yourdomain.com
I agree with you, but do not know where to start to be able to receive emails sent to the grimdar.com domain. What common "things" can I check or modify to get this working?
 
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Matir
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 8,507

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
In order to receive mail, the following conditions (among others) must be true:
  1. You must have a valid MX record for the domain.
  2. The MX record must point to a host with a valid A record.
  3. The host must be running a mailserver.
  4. Port 25 (SMTP) must not be firewalled and must be able to receive connections.

Right now, I can resolve duff.grimdar.com, but not connect to port 25. It appears that host is using Comcast for an ISP. I would check and see if Comcast is blocking connections to port 25. If it is a residential connection, I would strongly suspect this to be the case.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
checkmate3001
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Location: Folsom, California
Distribution: Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Suse
Posts: 307

Rep: Reputation: 32
I have comcast - and to my knowledge they haven't been blocking port 25 (although I wouldn't doubt it... it is comcast). You prolly have already done this, but make sure your router forwards port 25 to your machine. Make sure any firewall on your machine is allowing port 25 to be open.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matir View Post
In order to receive mail, the following conditions (among others) must be true:
  1. You must have a valid MX record for the domain.
  2. The MX record must point to a host with a valid A record.
  3. The host must be running a mailserver.
  4. Port 25 (SMTP) must not be firewalled and must be able to receive connections.

Right now, I can resolve duff.grimdar.com, but not connect to port 25. It appears that host is using Comcast for an ISP. I would check and see if Comcast is blocking connections to port 25. If it is a residential connection, I would strongly suspect this to be the case.
Comcast is the ISP, and I believe they are blocking all port 25 traffic. Is there a way around this bloackage on my end? I will contact comcast and ask them to allow me unfettered access to port 25, but I anticipate they will ignore me.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #14
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3001 View Post
I have comcast - and to my knowledge they haven't been blocking port 25 (although I wouldn't doubt it... it is comcast). You prolly have already done this, but make sure your router forwards port 25 to your machine. Make sure any firewall on your machine is allowing port 25 to be open.
Right, I have set this box outside the firewall - it is totally exposed to the big scary internet. All ports should be open, but to make sure I did specify in my router settings to forward port 25 traffic to that box.

Are you as a comcast user able to telnet to port 25 from outside your domain? I am not.
 
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
dazed-and-confused
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matir View Post
  • You must have a valid MX record for the domain.
I think it's valid. As far as I can tell, it is valid.

Quote:
  • The MX record must point to a host with a valid A record.
I think it's valid. As far as I can tell, it is valid.

Quote:
  • The host must be running a mailserver.
Check - exim4, which can send mail all day, is working fine. Does exim4 receive mail? If not, what do you recommend for mail receiving purposes??

Quote:
  • Port 25 (SMTP) must not be firewalled and must be able to receive connections.
Definitely not firewalled, but apparently unable to receive connections.
 
  


Reply

Tags
email, exim4, receive, send


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to receive email msgsbox Linux - General 6 09-10-2008 12:02 AM
POSTFIX Email Can't Receive External Email carlosinfl Linux - Server 2 10-15-2007 06:00 AM
email 'send' NO - email 'receive' YES..? captain skywave Linux - Wireless Networking 4 04-23-2005 03:35 AM
email 'send' YES - email 'receive' NO..? captain skywave Linux - Wireless Networking 1 04-22-2005 05:23 AM
Email Receive Problem norm Linux - Newbie 0 12-28-2001 01:38 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration