LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
anomie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Distribution: RHEL, Scientific Linux, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 3,935
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Free advice, take it or leave it:
  • Don't post duplicate threads across forums. It is not polite. (Some might be so bold as to call it spam.)
  • If you want clear, helpful answers to questions, ask clear, honest questions that help us help you. Don't try to trick others with a weird "red herring" question, and then wonder why a thread goes off track.
It's like a lot of things in life: communication with other humans can be as easy or as difficult as we choose to make it.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,415
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses_ View Post
You must have missed the wikileaks v. pentagon story and its implications. Clearly politics is not for everyone.
I'm not ready to call you out as being part of the TFH crowd but be aware that this is the Linux Security forum. We deal with security-related questions based on facts and facts alone. So please leave politics out of it. Apart from that you've been asking questions (and getting good response) without clearly defining what you (think you) need. So this is a call to you to please be specific (now and in any new questions and threads) and state your questions in a verbose, detailed manner, backing them up by your technical observations and tests you've run.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
snowday
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,667

Rep: Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses_ View Post
You must have missed the wikileaks v. pentagon story and its implications. Clearly politics is not for everyone.
Please don't accuse me of "missing" something you failed to mention in your original question. I have no idea how to protect you from the pentagon (if that is indeed your actual question).

To return to the original "most secure distro for online payments" question, I'll reiterate what I said in your (closed) thread on UbuntuForums: online financial security begins and ends with your financial institution. No Linux distribution can provide what your bank's fraud department can, which is the ability to reverse fraudulent charges made to your account.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
Ulysses_
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,303

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
We deal with security-related questions based on facts and facts alone.
To identify a fact from a claim, it takes judgement. Security discussions without judgement can be stupid. Some may be used to parroting textbooks and getting exam grades for it, but in real life security is an underground matter, suitable for streetwise and inventive people.

Quote:
Apart from that you've been asking questions (and getting good response) without clearly defining what you (think you) need
What I (think I) need is clearly said in the title, it's the Most secure distro for online payments to ebay/amazon, it's not Instructions how to make any distro more secure. I don't appreciate instructions because I feel they are probably incomplete, certainly they are not as complete as Backtrack's settings. No offence but I trust Backtrack hacker-developers more than you.

So for me the thread has been answered, Backtrack is the answer.

Unless someone knows an even stronger distro. Which must still be capable of paying amazon/ebay/paypal though, server-only distro's won't do.

Last edited by Ulysses_; 06-23-2010 at 03:45 PM.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
brucehinrichs
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: US
Distribution: Debian Sid; Sabayon, UbuntuStudio, Slackware-multilib 13.1, Peppermint Ice, CentOS
Posts: 575

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
So for me the thread has been answered, Backtrack is the answer.
I disagree.

Backtrack is not known for being particularly secure (or insecure, to be fair). It is a penetration-testing distro. It has the tools one uses to see how secure a particular system is, not tools to make the distro itself more secure. It was based on Ubuntu, current version is Debian-based. Backtrack is not inherently more secure than it's base distro.

In response to your question "What is the most secure distro", I stick by my first response: BSD.

I also think you are doing yourself a disservice by ignoring suggestions on how to secure any distro, but that's your call...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #21
Ulysses_
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,303

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 57
I'm not ignoring suggestions, just not considering them to be enough. And by the way most suggestions I have seen are already familiar.

Which distro do you recommend then? Debian lenny with LXDE is broken as a VM.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
brucehinrichs
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: US
Distribution: Debian Sid; Sabayon, UbuntuStudio, Slackware-multilib 13.1, Peppermint Ice, CentOS
Posts: 575

Rep: Reputation: 69
B - S - D.

Last edited by brucehinrichs; 06-23-2010 at 04:11 PM.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,415
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses_ View Post
No offence but I trust Backtrack hacker-developers more than you.
You have absolutely no single reason to trust me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses_ View Post
So for me the thread has been answered, Backtrack is the answer.
Awesome. And since you haven't put forward anything tangible in terms of research I'd say thread solved, case closed.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
free and secure online storage virtual memory General 3 06-08-2009 03:59 AM
php paypal payments trscookie Programming 5 11-26-2008 04:34 PM
LXer: Introducing Remo - An Easy Way to Secure an Insecure Online Application with ModSecurity LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-08-2007 04:01 PM
Using KNOPPIX just to surf online? Is it secure? as400 Linux - Security 5 04-30-2006 03:14 AM
Having a secure online harddrive bignester Linux - Software 5 09-12-2005 03:50 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration