LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Security (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/)
-   -   Looking for the Linux equivalent of Axcrypt (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/looking-for-the-linux-equivalent-of-axcrypt-4175678021/)

joden1 07-02-2020 02:34 PM

Becasue installing software in linux is nto simple. I have already had to reinstall the OS because of apps that "broke" it - hence the reference to researching apps first. All these encryption apps keep asking for public keys and other stuff that I have no clue about so again the research is needed. And a lot of these apps home pages are pretty cryptic to a new linux user....the major PITA comes from after nearly two weeks of just trying to get a basic system set, with all the tools and apps I need to do a image and then proceed ahead. Not THIS particular task by itself. I think this task is the "straw"!

PS: oh and where you mentioned Kleopatra before?? afaics this is your only post on this thread? But I will go and have a look at it now

joden1 07-02-2020 02:41 PM

okay,.so using the "easy" gpg -e command gives me

"You did not specify a user ID. (you may use "-r")

Current recipients:

Enter the user ID. End with an empty line:

So what does that mean?

And just putting in gpg I get :

gpg: WARNING: no command supplied. Trying to guess what you mean ...
gpg: Go ahead and type your message

So it is NOT easy to someone new to linux!!

TB0ne 07-02-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joden1 (Post 6140670)
Becasue installing software in linux is nto simple.

Sorry, no. ALL distros have software installers that install the package and all dependencies, both GUI and command-line. For openSUSE, I can type in "zypper install <pacakge name>" and press ENTER. That's it. Other distros have their own package managers. The GUI based ones are easier, letting you search by names, functions, etc., just like the Windows app store. And again, these are available on all distros.
Quote:

I have already had to reinstall the OS because of apps that "broke" it - hence the reference to researching apps first.
Again, no...installing an app (unless you did something HORRIBLY wrong, akin to deleting your C:\Windows folder) wouldn't break the OS. But since you don't say what you did, why, or what instructions you followed, there's not a lot we can tell you.
Quote:

All these encryption apps keep asking for public keys and other stuff that I have no clue about so again the research is needed.
ANY encryption utility will require you to set up a key; what do you think encryption IS??? Going back to kleopatra, clicking "File->New Key Pair" is all you have to do. Fill in the blanks. Not sure how it can be easier.
Quote:

And a lot of these apps home pages are pretty cryptic to a new linux user....the major PITA comes from after nearly two weeks of just trying to get a basic system set, with all the tools and apps I need to do a image and then proceed ahead. Not THIS particular task by itself. I think this task is the "straw"!
If it took you two weeks to do a basic install, it is probably best that you go back to Windows. If you just want to complain about how bad everything is, instead of thinking about the problem and asking for advice on getting past it, then there's not much point in proceeding. You are frustrated and confused, because you don't know what you're doing yet; you can either learn or go back. Your choice.
Quote:

PS: oh and where you mentioned Kleopatra before?? afaics this is your only post on this thread? But I will go and have a look at it now
I didn't...someone else did, post #5. Along with many other simple, easy-to-install tools. You don't say what version/distro you're using, or what desktop environment; you are most probably confused because when you use Windows, you get TOLD what you're going to use, and how. There are GUI versions of GPG programs for EVERY desktop environment there is.

shruggy 07-02-2020 03:14 PM

@OP. If you're using Ubuntu, this howto may help. After you installed seahorse-nautilus and configured seahorse it's a matter of right-clicking on the file and selecting the Encrypt action from menu.

joden1 07-02-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 6140675)
Sorry, no. ALL distros have software installers that install the package and all dependencies, both GUI and command-line. For openSUSE, I can type in "zypper install <pacakge name>" and press ENTER. That's it. Other distros have their own package managers. The GUI based ones are easier, letting you search by names, functions, etc., just like the Windows app store. And again, these are available on all distros.

Again, no...installing an app (unless you did something HORRIBLY wrong, akin to deleting your C:\Windows folder) wouldn't break the OS. But since you don't say what you did, why, or what instructions you followed, there's not a lot we can tell you.

ANY encryption utility will require you to set up a key; what do you think encryption IS??? Going back to kleopatra, clicking "File->New Key Pair" is all you have to do. Fill in the blanks. Not sure how it can be easier.

If it took you two weeks to do a basic install, it is probably best that you go back to Windows. If you just want to complain about how bad everything is, instead of thinking about the problem and asking for advice on getting past it, then there's not much point in proceeding. You are frustrated and confused, because you don't know what you're doing yet; you can either learn or go back. Your choice.

I didn't...someone else did, post #5. Along with many other simple, easy-to-install tools. You don't say what version/distro you're using, or what desktop environment; you are most probably confused because when you use Windows, you get TOLD what you're going to use, and how. There are GUI versions of GPG programs for EVERY desktop environment there is.

Yep and you supercilious manner also drives people further away - I ahve found the same with "power" users in the eOS forums... you'd certainly be bleating if I treated YOU the same way in a windows forum, and please don't say " oh but I wouldn't ask such questions" but you would, I really have an above average knowledge of windows and I would NEVER treat a newbie as you have here! No such thing as a silly question, but there sure are a lot of stupid answers. Your replies are perfect examples! I'll not be replying to anything else you write, but if you feel the need to further prop up your "sand-castle" go right ahead!

joden1 07-02-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shruggy (Post 6140688)
@OP. If you're using Ubuntu, this howto may help. After you installed seahorse-nautilus and configured seahorse it's a matter of right-clicking on the file and selecting the Encrypt action from menu.

Cool, thanks much! I will check it out.

joden1 07-02-2020 03:54 PM

Tried that and selected "use a shared passphrase" so I'll see if I can now open it using a normal editor...

joden1 07-02-2020 03:55 PM

nope, it didn't work. I can still open the file with a simple text editor.....ok tried it again and got pgp file, but haha, when I try to then open that with the app, it goes to snap/store/current ??

TB0ne 07-02-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joden1 (Post 6140696)
Yep and you supercilious manner also drives people further away - I ahve found the same with "power" users in the eOS forums... you'd certainly be bleating if I treated YOU the same way in a windows forum, and please don't say " oh but I wouldn't ask such questions" but you would, I really have an above average knowledge of windows and I would NEVER treat a newbie as you have here! No such thing as a silly question, but there sure are a lot of stupid answers. Your replies are perfect examples! I'll not be replying to anything else you write, but if you feel the need to further prop up your "sand-castle" go right ahead!

Exactly the reaction I expected.
  • You asked for things to encrypt files; you were given plenty
  • You complain about how hard everything is
  • You don't say what you're doing/trying/using (hard to help anyone without details)
So what do you expect? No one here makes money or cares what you use, so if it 'drives you away', how is that a problem? You were given exact steps to encrypt files with built-in Linux utilities, both GUI and CLI, but those are 'stupid answers'? If you say so.

You claim to have 'above average knowledge of Windows'...but don't know that an encryption utility needs a key to work? You say installing an app 'broke the OS', but somehow expect us to read your mind about what app, how you installed it, to what OS, and what the results were, but think that it makes sense? And if you think it's rude to state an obvious fact of "You are frustrated and confused, because you don't know what you're doing yet; you can either learn or go back. Your choice.", that's on you. You ARE frustrated and confused, because again, you do not YET know what you're doing. Did you have your 'above average' Windows knowledge day one? Day ten? Why do you think that you can immediately learn a whole new OS with no effort? Or did you think it was the same as Windows??

If someone came to a Windows forum and starting whining about "THIS IS SO HARD!!!", and didn't tell you what they were trying to do, with what software, and kept going on about how great their Mac was, what exactly would you say?? Shruggy's tutorial is spot on, and works in Ubuntu, Mint, and openSUSE (with the caveat that installation is different, but usage is the same).

Want to learn? Great; ask a question with details and we'll help. Otherwise, not much point in posting here.Good luck. You'll need it.

ondoho 07-03-2020 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shruggy (Post 6140688)
@OP. If you're using Ubuntu, this howto may help. After you installed seahorse-nautilus and configured seahorse it's a matter of right-clicking on the file and selecting the Encrypt action from menu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joden1 (Post 6140700)
nope, it didn't work. I can still open the file with a simple text editor.....ok tried it again and got pgp file, but haha, when I try to then open that with the app, it goes to snap/store/current ??

Don't just double-click it, right-click => decrypt instead.
Anyhow, your complaint "nope, it didn't work" is too short and lacks any sort of detail.
That's a very detailed howto you were handed there.

jmccue 07-03-2020 07:01 AM

I use Ccrypt (wiki) and it can be used with both emacs and vim. It comes with a .el for use in emacs and I found somewhere on the WEB setup for use with vim, but lost the link.

For vim, I have have this in my ~/.vimrc
Code:

augroup CPT
au!
"  au BufReadPre  *.cpt setl bin viminfo= nowswapfile
autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.cpt set noswapfile
autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.cpt set bin
au BufReadPost *.cpt let $CPT_PASS = inputsecret("Password: ")
au BufReadPost *.cpt silent 1,$!ccrypt -cb -E CPT_PASS
au BufReadPost *.cpt set nobin
au BufWritePre *.cpt set bin
au BufWritePre *.cpt silent! 1,$!ccrypt -e -E CPT_PASS
au BufWritePost *.cpt silent! u
au BufWritePost *.cpt set nobin
augroup END

and in ~/.emacs this after installing the included ps-ccrypt.el files as noted.
Code:

(setq load-path (cons "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/" load-path))
(require 'ps-ccrypt "ps-ccrypt.el")


shruggy 07-03-2020 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmccue (Post 6140904)
It comes with a .el for use in emacs

On a Debian-based system, it's in package elpa-ps-ccrypt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmccue (Post 6140904)
I found somewhere on the WEB setup for use with vim, but lost the link.

Tip 90 in Vim Tips Wiki.

Fr921 01-12-2021 01:49 AM

Hello Joden1
The software you are looking for is aescrypt. I made a long post to explain the pro and cons with axcrypt but my post was removed because it was including the URL to the aescrypt web site. Don't have time to write the same twice.
Just test it and revert.
Regards

shruggy 01-12-2021 02:21 AM

Just to clarify: Fr921 means AES Crypt which has both GUI and CLI, not AESCrypt which has only CLI.

pan64 01-12-2021 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shruggy (Post 6206703)
Just to clarify: Fr921 means AES Crypt which has both GUI and CLI, not AESCrypt which has only CLI.

both of them looks abandoned


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.