LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2003, 06:15 PM   #1
j0hn0n1
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: England
Distribution: SuSE, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: 15
IPCop


I was just wondering if anybody might have had the same problem, and if so what did they do....

I have 4 computers running various versions of windows, linux and BSD, and the other day I bought 3 old 486's with the intentions of using one to run IPCop, one to set up as a kind of syslog server and the other I will probably leave it as it is running win95...

Anyway, I downloaded IPCop, bought an old serial mouse, two network cards and went to buy a new modem. The problem is, I was just looking for an external ADSL modem (on it's own without a router) and it has to be ethernet (as I already have a usb one, and being an old computer it doesn't have any usb ports), and although there were plenty of ethernet modem/routers but none were just a modem...

I was thinking of giving in and buying a one port modem/router but the guy in the computer shop advised that, since IPCop is a kind of firewall/router it might not be a good idea trying to route already routed traffic, as it may cause problems...

So what I was wondering whether this was right, and has anybody else has managed to get away with using a hardware router with IPCop without any problems, or does anybody have any other solutions..

Thanks.............John
 
Old 09-16-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
Spydr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
You could always buy a usb controller card....
 
Old 09-17-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
j0hn0n1
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: England
Distribution: SuSE, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
That's what I was thinking, but I asked somebody a few days ago (in another computer shop) whether I could add some add some usb ports, and he said something about 'not being able to get the cards anymore'....

If I knew a place to get hold of old defunct hardware I'd probably buy one.. Would a newer one work, as I've only been using computers for about 4 or 5 years and I wouldn't really know.

Have they changed that much in the last 8 years or so, as long as it's usb 1.1, I should imagine it would be alright...

Thanks................John
 
Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 AM   #4
phoeniXflame
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere, UK
Distribution: Slack, OpenBSD, Debian, SuSE
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: IPCop

Quote:
Anyway, I downloaded IPCop, bought an old serial mouse, two network cards and went to buy a new modem. The problem is, I was just looking for an external ADSL modem (on it's own without a router) and it has to be ethernet (as I already have a usb one, and being an old computer it doesn't have any usb ports), and although there were plenty of ethernet modem/routers but none were just a modem...
there are a few dsl eth only modems comming out now, I personally run the DLink DSL 300G+ which acts as a standard dsl modem, I then control all routing via my bsd gateway which sits 1 hop on from the modem, and it works perfectly, I have also used this setup with IPCop 1.3 and again, it worked perfectly

I wouldnt recommend trying to create a 'double nat' setup like your thinking of as it will create nasty problems, you may get a connection but things will behave very strangly (or have done whenever I've tried it before) the only other option would be if your router/modem supports dns_spoofing

Last edited by phoeniXflame; 09-17-2003 at 11:13 AM.
 
Old 09-17-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
j0hn0n1
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: England
Distribution: SuSE, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks PhoeniXflame, I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to get one...

I've managed to find a shop not far from where I live that sells that modem, it will take them 2 days to get it in stock but the way things were going I probably wouldn't have got one by then anyway...

Thanks.....................John
 
Old 09-18-2003, 01:55 PM   #6
chort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, USA
Distribution: OpenBSD 4.6, OS X 10.6.2, CentOS 4 & 5
Posts: 3,660

Rep: Reputation: 69
"Not able to get cards any more"??? That's ridiculous. My brother just bought a PCI USB controller card a few weeks ago. I think the "computer shop guys" that you're talking to are full of crap.
 
Old 09-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #7
phoeniXflame
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere, UK
Distribution: Slack, OpenBSD, Debian, SuSE
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by chort
"Not able to get cards any more"??? That's ridiculous. My brother just bought a PCI USB controller card a few weeks ago. I think the "computer shop guys" that you're talking to are full of crap.
if we are talking about an older system it might not have the capability to use pci cards, and I'm sure they do exsist but I've never seen an isa usb card ...
 
Old 09-19-2003, 08:35 PM   #8
Robert0380
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 1,280

Rep: Reputation: 47
isa..usb..if you find one, take a picture and email it to

robert at gigahurts dot net
 
Old 09-23-2003, 06:15 AM   #9
Gianni
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: 0
Re: Re: IPCop

Hi

I went to that websote and looks interesting. Have you got any experience regarding their ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 firewall ?

I was thinking of using IPCop but just wondering

G

Quote:
Originally posted by phoeniXflame
there are a few dsl eth only modems comming out now, I personally run the DLink DSL 300G+ which acts as a standard dsl modem, I then control all routing via my bsd gateway which sits 1 hop on from the modem, and it works perfectly, I have also used this setup with IPCop 1.3 and again, it worked perfectly

I wouldnt recommend trying to create a 'double nat' setup like your thinking of as it will create nasty problems, you may get a connection but things will behave very strangly (or have done whenever I've tried it before) the only other option would be if your router/modem supports dns_spoofing
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IPCop Gianni Linux - Security 9 06-22-2006 02:57 PM
IPCOP? Help me :/ SADIST_SLY Linux - Networking 2 06-22-2006 01:49 PM
Need IPCop to IpCop VPN assistance Freddde Linux - Networking 1 09-15-2005 02:28 PM
IPCop to IPCop VPN... furrie Linux - Networking 1 11-04-2003 12:40 PM
IPCop prich Linux - General 0 05-01-2003 12:40 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration