LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #31
goumba
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Distribution: Current: Debian and OpenSUSE. Past: Arch, RedHat (pre-RHEL). FreeBSD & OpenBSD novice, Hackintosh
Posts: 1,191
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
Linux will remain a backwater in which geeks swim until persons can bring home Linux machines from the store as easily as they can bring home Android tablets.
Even so, what is needed is the "support" to match.

Even if a Big Box Store like Best Buy were to sell Linux machines (as did had done in the past with eeePCs); if a user has a problem and takes it back to the Geek Squad, and said Geek looks at them and says "It has Linux installed, even though you bought this machine here, no one here can help you," well then word will get around and those machines are not going to sell.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #32
v4r3l0v
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
Where's this magical M$ support that's so good?
I am also amazed you have never had a Windows update that stops something from working properly.
Nothing freaks out a Linux fanboy like a properly working Windows machine.
Yes! My Windows 7 install had NEVER had the infamous Blue Screen Of Death. Every single update always works properly. The "infamous M$ support" never had to step in, IN 4 YEARS THAT I USE THIS WINDOWS 7 MACHINE! 4 years without failure is a fantasy for desktop Linux! It can't complete a single year!
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #33
v4r3l0v
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by goumba View Post
Even so, what is needed is the "support" to match.

Even if a Big Box Store like Best Buy were to sell Linux machines (as did had done in the past with eeePCs); if a user has a problem and takes it back to the Geek Squad, and said Geek looks at them and says "It has Linux installed, even though you bought this machine here, no one here can help you," well then word will get around and those machines are not going to sell.
LOL, always someone else to blame for own failures.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #34
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,196

Rep: Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4r3l0v View Post
4 years without failure is a fantasy for desktop Linux! It can't complete a single year!
Speak for yourself.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #35
v4r3l0v
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Speak for yourself.
If it's only for myself, we would never have this topic, right? RIGHT?
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #36
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_12{.0|.1}
Posts: 5,236
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4r3l0v View Post
Nothing freaks out a Linux fanboy like a properly working Windows machine.
Yes! My Windows 7 install had NEVER had the infamous Blue Screen Of Death. Every single update always works properly. The "infamous M$ support" never had to step in, IN 4 YEARS THAT I USE THIS WINDOWS 7 MACHINE! 4 years without failure is a fantasy for desktop Linux! It can't complete a single year!
Nothing freaks out a Window$ fanboy marketing shill like the idea that a Linux user could, in fact, be happy with the experience.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #37
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,196

Rep: Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003Reputation: 4003
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4r3l0v View Post
4 years without failure is a fantasy for desktop Linux! It can't complete a single year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4r3l0v View Post
LOL, always someone else to blame for own failures.
Two consecutive posts...
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #38
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,390

Rep: Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4r3l0v View Post
Nothing freaks out a Linux fanboy like a properly working Windows machine.
Yes! My Windows 7 install had NEVER had the infamous Blue Screen Of Death. Every single update always works properly. The "infamous M$ support" never had to step in, IN 4 YEARS THAT I USE THIS WINDOWS 7 MACHINE! 4 years without failure is a fantasy for desktop Linux! It can't complete a single year!
No, doesn't freak me out in the slightest -- I ran Windows 2000 (back when I used Windows day-to-day) without a hitch. The reason I typed what I did, which you seem to have tried to side-step, is that Windows updates have, do and will continue to cause issues. So will Linux updates.
I think you're conflating "Linux" and "Ubuntu" because, like dugan, I've been able to use Linux for years without issues -- I've had Debian Sid (the "Unstable") branch on my PC since I built it a few years ago and updated without issue. With Debian Stable, CentOS, Slackware and others I've known people have machines work for years and update without issues.

Your argument about Linux updates is simply not correct and probably due to your inexperience.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #39
v4r3l0v
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeek View Post
Nothing freaks out a Window$ fanboy marketing shill like the idea that a Linux user could, in fact, be happy with the experience.
Marketing shill?! You are the worst of those shills, peddling non-functioning stuff. There's no such thing as a Linux user being happy with the experience, it's like next year actually being The Year Of The Linux Desktop. It is ridiculous to say you are happy when you just settled for stuff that you can do on the machine while ignoring the stuff your OS to which you cling religiously can't do.
It's not just me that shies from Linux on desktop, look at how unpopular the stuff you are marketing is. The proverbial 1%.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #40
v4r3l0v
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Two consecutive posts...
You can't count. 3 consecutive posts. Here's 4th.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #41
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_12{.0|.1}
Posts: 5,236
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4r3l0v View Post
It is ridiculous to say you are happy...
No one's applecart may go unmolested, eh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4r3l0v View Post
You can't count. 3 consecutive posts. Here's 4th.
OK, I'll call troll...

Last edited by astrogeek; 08-14-2015 at 02:44 PM.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #42
v4r3l0v
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Coming from Stallman's clergy, it's a compliment.
 
Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #43
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 13,028

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756Reputation: 3756
Please get this thread back on topic and refrain from personal attacks moving forward.

--jeremy
 
Old 08-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #44
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 3,966
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 838Reputation: 838Reputation: 838Reputation: 838Reputation: 838Reputation: 838Reputation: 838
I like linux because it does what I want it to do. And if it doesn't, then I can change it to do what I want it to do without giving away a first born child or one of my own appendages.

In some fantasy world where most intelligent life is dead, except you. Where your intelligence is +100 IQ and your life is +2000 years. But there's a catch you have to leave the planet in 1000 years or all is lost. The OS that you choose to run the technology to accomplish that goal will probably NOT be windows or iOS or OS X or TSO/ISPF or DOS/VSE ICCF.

As far as windows, it's what most "know". It's what most assume is what "everyone else" is using. So they use it, and cannot understand why anyone would NOT run windows. While gaming in linux has come a long way, there are still many titles that do not have linux versions, or who's linux version is a 3rd class citizen at best. Which is all the reason needed for the "sheeple" to avoid running linux.

For those with more productive goals, the software that makes them productive only partially exist in the land of linux. And while hardware support has come a long way if you're going to buy something "new", you can pretty assume that some of it will not work in linux for at least six months, and some of it may "never" work in linux. Outside of a few "blessed" products, which might not be the product that you want or can afford. Or is only available from a source that you would rather NOT use.
 
Old 08-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #45
v4r3l0v
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
... reason needed for the "sheeple" to avoid running linux.
So this is the Stallman's clergy plan on how to win the crowd. By calling them sheeple. Interesting approach. Let me know how it goes.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Why It Doesn't Matter for Linux If Windows Becomes Open Source LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 06-22-2015 06:39 AM
LXer: Open source love at first commit LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-28-2014 12:20 PM
Hello everyone, I love the open source world. ddouble LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 0 04-20-2012 09:24 PM
LXer: Will open source still love you when Iím 64? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-05-2008 03:00 AM
LXer: Involvement: Why I Love Open Source LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-06-2008 05:21 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration