LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #31
Hitboxx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: India
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 1,562
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 61

I for one would love to see the effect of this on http://www.distrowatch.com in the coming days. Top 2 you say eh?

Its times like this i thank there is a man named Mark Shuttleworth...

Last edited by Hitboxx; 11-04-2006 at 06:07 PM.
 
Old 11-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #32
KimVette
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Lee, NH
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL
Posts: 1,794

Rep: Reputation: 46
I'm not worried; there is always kubuntu in the event that Microsoft is doing this to kill off SuSE. What will be interesting is learning where Hubert Mantel goes next, and whether his former colleagues follow him.

Last edited by KimVette; 11-04-2006 at 06:48 PM.
 
Old 11-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #33
Old_Fogie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: SLACKWARE 4TW! =D
Posts: 1,519

Rep: Reputation: 62
Someone correct me here if I'm having a "old_fogie" moment. IIRC didn't Novell just take on a new Sales Manager/Director in past few months because of the poor sales/profits, etc. and they put him on a 6 month performance based lease (for lack of better terminology at the moment).

Could this not be the effect of the new Sales Manager in desparation to get the numbers up and save his position? Just a thought.

I wonder if we are going to see someone fork opensuse?

Suse was a fork of Slackware, hmmm is Mr. Pat V now covered in this?

Interesting times, interesting times.

edit: fixed word desparation.
 
Old 11-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #34
blackhole54
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,896

Rep: Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Fogie
Could this not be the effect of the new Sales Manager in desparation to get the numbers up and save his position? Just a thought.
I wouldn't totally rule it out. But the "official" word is that Novell's CEO (or is it president -- I've read so many articles on this I am going cross-eyed!) initiated contact with MS about this shortly after he got his current position earlier this year.

Anyway, I am among those that think in the long run this is going to hurt, or maybe kill Novell. I don't know whether or not it might help them in the short run.
 
Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #35
Old_Fogie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: SLACKWARE 4TW! =D
Posts: 1,519

Rep: Reputation: 62
@blackhole: yea this does sound like "separting the weakest from the herd" and then "divide and conquer" and "if your not with us then your against us" ..."while keeping your friends close and your enemies closer" all in one.
 
Old 11-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #36
Naveed11
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garda
Did NOT see this coming

Is it wrong that i feel completely paranoid about this

first. linux is a direct competitor to windows, their flagship product. MS is a company whose only purpose is to make money and protect its interests. Nothing against MS but that's the case for all companies. I think it's actually illegal for upper managers to behave in any other way. For that reason, this notion that MS wants to support interopability with Linux is a load of crap. I don't see how this directly benefits MS, they would not have done this otherwise, so what's in it for MS?

my anyway

If we were to take this on face value though, assuming that everyone is telling the truth, it actually seems pretty good. Hopefully an improved wine might be a good place for MS to start.
I agree what gives? MS went to their arch enemies and decided to have a cup of tea?

question is who's drinking from the poisoned cup?

I may be a Suse noob but hell from what i've seen I've come to respect linux for its robustness.
not to mention STUPENDOUS memory management which MS can only dream of
 
Old 11-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #37
operator10001
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: debian sarge
Posts: 222

Rep: Reputation: 30
yet another good reason to switch to debian.
 
Old 11-05-2006, 01:24 AM   #38
boobooq88
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hmmm....

Yes I am relatively new to linux and Im definately no expert on legal issues...

But as for me, I'm stickin with suse for the time being. Can't say that this deal will hurt Novell or make things better since there isn't enough info (for me at least) to determine what will happen. At least, if things go downhill there will always be someone else I could go to such as Red Hat or Ubuntu.

And who knows... maybe Microsoft has changed their ways... though I really doubt it.
 
Old 11-05-2006, 04:05 AM   #39
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrikant.odugoudar
I for one would love to see the effect of this on http://www.distrowatch.com in the coming days. Top 2 you say eh?

Its times like this i thank there is a man named Mark Shuttleworth...
Ubuntu may be the current popular distro amongst enthusiasts but at the moment, it does not have the same type of enterprise class apps and certifications as RHEL or SLES. These are things that take a long time to get, so if Novell loses popularity in the enterprise, then Redhat will probably make significant gains.
 
Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 AM   #40
Old_Fogie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: SLACKWARE 4TW! =D
Posts: 1,519

Rep: Reputation: 62
@reddazz:

I just saw this in my akregator:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6132211.html

IIRC debian had a big certification not too long ago as well.

What are these specifics of these certifications? What is entailed in them?
 
Old 11-05-2006, 04:40 AM   #41
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Fogie
@reddazz:

I just saw this in my akregator:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6132211.html

IIRC debian had a big certification not too long ago as well.

What are these specifics of these certifications? What is entailed in them?
I am not sure of the specific details of these certifications, but they mostly deal with hardware support on specific platforms, security (e.g. Selinux in RHEL and Apparmour in SLES), applications tested and guaranteed to work on the distro and other stuff that could be specific to a particular industry e.g. RHEL is popular in the telecoms sector because it makes or supports apps that are specific to this industry. There is much more to this, so do some research. Some companies and government organisations will not run software thats not been certified to work with their hardware or certified for use in their computing environment.
 
Old 11-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #42
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 419Reputation: 419Reputation: 419Reputation: 419Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzer
i'm no lawyer, so could someone please tell me if process patents cover GPL'd code or does GPL take precedence over those patents?

it would better help my understanding of the legal issue at hand.
I'm not a lawyer either, but my understanding is that, well, it depends on which happened first, the patent or the GPL'd code. If the patent was filed first and then the code was later used in GPL software, the patent would have precedence. However, if someone wrote and released GPL code, it likely couldn't be patented by someone other than the original author.

Note that I'm assuming that the patent was valid in the first place, which is a HUGE assumption. I think there is an awful lot of bad patents in software space.


As for Microsoft and Novell, this deal strikes me as having a lot of parallels to the deals SCO was trying to strike with Linux customers not too long after it launched its lawsuits. Sort of the "pay me now or pay me later after I sue you" approach. It seems to me that a central reason for Novell to sign this is to avoid lawsuits from Microsoft.
 
Old 11-05-2006, 02:51 PM   #43
KimVette
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Lee, NH
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL
Posts: 1,794

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42
However, if someone wrote and released GPL code, it likely couldn't be patented by someone other than the original author.

This is flat-out wrong here in America. Why? Our USPTO has been rubber-stamping patents on prior art for a couple of decades now, leaving the mess for the courts to sort out.
 
Old 11-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #44
John Boyle
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 36

Rep: Reputation: 15
I, for one, want to know what impact this will have on the individual user, not the corporate user? Seems to me this whole deal is based on corporate dealings with the two OS's, which may mean the home user will be dropped down a deep dark hole! Will it bring back Voice dictation, which has been abandoned by IBM and ignored by Nuance except for Windows?
 
Old 11-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #45
angryfirelord
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 515

Rep: Reputation: 66
I think this is all part of a scheme to help Microsoft get rid of its competitors.

If Microsoft really cared about open source, why would they pick Novell? Not to offend any suse users, but Novell hasen't been doing that well on the business end (just look at their stock). Red Hat would have been a better choice (although I doubt Red Hat would have agreed on such a deal), or heck, why not the whole Linux community?

Because Novell isn't doing so well, Novell sees it as an oppertunity to gain business. Having a Microsoft-Novell non-aggression agreement would help bring in customers who want Windows-Linux compatibility. At least that's what they think.

However, for customers who DON'T want to deal with Microsoft (usually that's the reason why businesses move to Linux), this has a possibility to bring in business to Red Hat.

In my opinion, this is just another object for Microsoft to leech off of and attempt to make more of a profit (as if they don't make enough money already). Microsoft is hoping that Red Hat will fail and once they do, they can terminate the agreement after 5 years and beat the crap out of Novell with patent infringement and possibly other distros out there.

I will admit, I'm biased toward Red Hat, which is reflected in my opinion. However, no matter what distro you use, this will affect everybody.

Remember, Microsoft has always been anti-Linux and will continue to do so until someone smart enough accepts the fact of life.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Suselinux Desktop ready in July: Novell LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-05-2006 01:24 AM
LXer: Novell talks migration and Microsoft LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 05-12-2006 06:27 PM
LXer: Novell uses numbers against Microsoft LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-11-2006 02:21 AM
microsoft MN-520 and novell desktop linux hammer63 Linux - Wireless Networking 14 04-23-2005 02:50 PM
Novell Combats Microsoft Ads against Linux. Cheeseboy General 4 11-07-2004 10:11 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration