LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - News (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/)
-   -   LinuxQuestions.org Turns Sixteen (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/linuxquestions-org-turns-sixteen-4175583111/)

linustalman 06-28-2016 08:52 AM

Another suggestion:

Show most users ever online stat on main forum webpage.

hydrurga 06-28-2016 10:32 AM

Is there any chance that we could have sub-forums dedicated to specific desktop environments in the same way that we have distro-specific sub-forums?

I have, for example, a KDE issue at the moment and a KDE sub-forum would be the perfect place for it.

HMW 06-28-2016 10:44 AM

Happy birthday, and thanks for the, uhm, excellence!

Quote:

Originally Posted by notKlaatu (Post 5566759)
Another question would be what can SO and Github learn from a site like linuxquestions? LQ is personal, it's populated by people with real world experience in a stunningly wide range of Linux topics. The specialisation here is tremendous.

Sure, unix.stackexchange.com is good, but it's still part of the stack exchange network, and inherits a lot of the culture from that: this means that a lot of the focus is on scoring points and earning XP, and not really caring about the people behind the problems or solutions. I don't see much collaboration aside from commenting, which tend to get lost in themselves unless they are explicitly incorporated into answers.

I agree 100% with notKlaatu. Please don't look to stack.* for inspiration. The elitism there is off putting, to say the least.

Again, happy birthday, and thank you for all the hard work to jeremy, the moderators and all the awesome users!

Best regards,
HMW

jeremy 06-28-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrurga (Post 5567416)
Is there any chance that we could have sub-forums dedicated to specific desktop environments in the same way that we have distro-specific sub-forums?

I have, for example, a KDE issue at the moment and a KDE sub-forum would be the perfect place for it.

We have no plans for this, but your KDE question is welcome in the current structure. Linux - Desktop probably makes the most sense, but based on the question other fora may fit as well.

--jeremy

jeremy 06-28-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinusStallman (Post 5567368)
A suggestion:

Show avatars for all users.

This has been discussed before. We have no plan to add avatar support to LQ. Depending on your usergroup, however, you can add a profile picture.

--jeremy

cyent 06-28-2016 04:26 PM

Congratulations and thanks!

I much prefer LQ community to Stack Overflow, much more pleasant and useful.

What other features? A flag perhaps to mark a question as "Not Solved yet". There are many "answered" questions, which still await a solution.

Perhaps set it so _any_ reply marks it as "solved", unless the poster comes back and sets it "Not Solved Yet".

hydrurga 06-28-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyent (Post 5567572)
Congratulations and thanks!

I much prefer LQ community to Stack Overflow, much more pleasant and useful.

What other features? A flag perhaps to mark a question as "Not Solved yet". There are many "answered" questions, which still await a solution.

Perhaps set it so _any_ reply marks it as "solved", unless the poster comes back and sets it "Not Solved Yet".

Sometimes the OP takes a long while to come back after their original post (often I imagine that many post their threads just before setting off on a long trek into the Amazon where there's no internet coverage ;)). Also, the second post may be the OP clarifying the original post. But, more often than not, the second post is merely someone else asking for info regarding the question itself. In my opinion, a thread shouldn't be marked solved unless the OP feels that it is.

I think that the answer is for us, the community, to be on the ball and remember to invite posters to mark the thread as "Solved" when we feel that the poster's question has indeed been answered. It's something new posters sometimes forget to do and it's up to us to remind them.

DaneM 06-29-2016 12:49 AM

Kudos and some feedback
 
Congratulations! This site has been instrumental in teaching me Linux, since shortly after its inception, and it's wonderful to be able to keep learning and sharing knowledge.

I have two suggestions to make this site even better. The first is probably the easiest to implement.

SOLUTION-POST TAGGING
What if we had an option for the OP to mark a specific post as the solution? Then, insert a bold/obvious link to that solution under the original post. That way, it will be easy to jump to the solution, instead of having to "hunt" for it, if you think you have the same/a related problem. This has been done elsewhere, but such places seem to de-emphasize the discussion leading to the solution. I believe that such discussion is one of LQ's strengths. Nevertheless, sometimes, one just wants a problem "fixed right now", and an easy road-map to what has worked for someone else is always nice.

CROSS-SITE SEARCHES
Sometimes, despite the massive knowledge-base that is LQ, one has to go hunting on distro-specific sites to get the most up-to-date solutions for certain problems. (One could always make a new post, here, but step 1 is to search for a solution on your own, right?) What if we were to have a cross-site search option, in case someone doesn't see a solution or relevant question already posted on LQ? It would be less-used option, of course, to conserve system resources; but we, as the Linux community, could definitely use a way to search, for example, all Debian-derived distro sites for a solution to a Debian-derivative question. (Also Fedora-derived, Arch-derived, etc.) This might be implemented via a prompt to the effect of, "can't find what you're looking for?" on, say, the 3rd page of LQ results. What's more, LQ could reach out to the admins of these other sites, and offer a similar mechanism for their members to search LQ posts, as well. Essentially, "all the knowledge in all the places". Cool, right?

Thanks, Jeremy, Moderators, and everyone for all your work.

JZL240I-U 06-29-2016 01:10 AM

Happy birthday, and thank you for all the hard work to Jeremy, the moderators and all the awesome users from me, too!

Actually I don't see much potential for improvements ... just stay LQ :D.

jeremy 06-29-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneM (Post 5567739)
SOLUTION-POST TAGGING
What if we had an option for the OP to mark a specific post as the solution? Then, insert a bold/obvious link to that solution under the original post. That way, it will be easy to jump to the solution, instead of having to "hunt" for it, if you think you have the same/a related problem. This has been done elsewhere, but such places seem to de-emphasize the discussion leading to the solution. I believe that such discussion is one of LQ's strengths. Nevertheless, sometimes, one just wants a problem "fixed right now", and an easy road-map to what has worked for someone else is always nice.

We do this now, but in a slightly different way. There are a couple problems with requiring the OP to mark a post as a solution: 1) The majority of OPs will not do so. 2) It requires them knowing it was the correct solution (which for some members will be problematic) and 3) as the correct solution changes over time, the OP would have to unmark the old solution and select the new one. The alternative we have is to use "Did you find this post helpful". After a certain number of helpful clicks, the most helpful post will be shown directly under the OP. This allows LQ members to surface the solution at the top with no interaction needed from the OP.

--jeremy

DaneM 06-29-2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy (Post 5567990)
After a certain number of helpful clicks, the most helpful post will be shown directly under the OP. This allows LQ members to surface the solution at the top with no interaction needed from the OP.

I hadn't realized that. Nice!

SteveInTallyFL 06-29-2016 01:56 PM

Yes, thanks Jeremy, for leading the site that has saved my <<insert unhealthy dietary item used as a metaphor for risk here>>. We look forward to more questions asked and answered....

donnellyjc 06-29-2016 06:56 PM

It has been a Grand Sixteen Years!!
 
Happy Birthday, congrats on making it this far. Looking forward to you being around for a long time.
You have been a help for me over the years and I have been pleased to help out in the past.

I was a UNIX Systems Administrator for over thirty years. I am retired now but still have a couple of Linux and Solaris systems that I keep my fingers in.

I will continue to lurk in the background and offer my two bits when I can.

Thanks for being there.

-chris

jefro 06-29-2016 08:48 PM

Happy Birthday.

chal 06-30-2016 10:56 AM

Yaĺl'doin jess fahn. I got me sum good info outta dis site,since I bin comin'roun, cuz dis site is outta site. Keep up da good woik!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.