LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #76
lrtward
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Distribution: CentOS, Ubuntu
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 9

I thought I had a suggestion (zero reply queue) but it already exists.

I joined LQ fairly recently after getting directed here repeatedly by Google and always finding the information I wanted. I figured it only made sense to skip the "Googling" step Just keep doing what you're doing, and Happy Birthday!!
 
Old 07-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #77
Tungsten Tide
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Distribution: Linux Mint 11
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 10
I would like to see the following happen:
Quote:
1. A Main Forum called "Kernel Development". with sub Forums called "Device Drivers" and so on like this:


-"Kernel Development"
-"Device Drivers" - Device Drivers Activities
-"File Systems" - File Systems Activities
-"Mailing Lists" - Latest activity on the Mailing Lists

2. Setup up a Twitter Feed Channel for each of them. i.e
lq/device
lq/fs
lq/mail-lists
etc.

What do u think? cause all of that is under 1 directory and un-manned.
LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software > Linux - Kernel
Seriously???

3. Shorten the name of the site from linuxquestions.org -> LQ.org so it matches twitter feeds.

4. If u have spare time give me rep or make me a mod. I was only jokin about this 1.

Last edited by Tungsten Tide; 07-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.
 
Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #78
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: McCalla, AL, USA
Distribution: Gentoo (all servers at work are openSUSE)
Posts: 6,937

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrtward View Post
I thought I had a suggestion (zero reply queue) but it already exists.

I joined LQ fairly recently after getting directed here repeatedly by Google and always finding the information I wanted. I figured it only made sense to skip the "Googling" step Just keep doing what you're doing, and Happy Birthday!!
You can add LinuxQuestions.org as a search engine in Firefox.
 
Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #79
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 13,022

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751
I don't think the Linux - Kernel forum gets enough traffic to warrant additional sub-fora at this time. There is a twitter feed available at http://twitter.com/#!/lq_feed which can be filtered as you like. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

--jeremy
 
Old 07-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #80
fozzie54
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2011
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile Software for Australia...Distro's

Hello...It would be great if we could purchase Linux Distro's here in Australia without having to send overseas for them...

That we we could get our friends to use Linux more..especially if there computer is broken and they have ost their Micro$ disc..
Sometime we can not download Distro's ..
Just a thought..


Thank you ..

Fozzie

Western Australia
 
Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #81
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,818

Rep: Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hill View Post
You can add LinuxQuestions.org as a search engine in Firefox.
A few months ago, I wrote up a quick and dirty shell script that searched for topics on LQ; Sadly, I lost it. I will try to find it again, and if I do, I will create a new thread dedicated to it. If not, I will re-write it.
 
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #82
PhoenixAndThor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Geogia, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Live CDs
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 39
Lightbulb Happy birthday LQ!

I may not be that active on these forums (college stuff ), but I usually find the information I need right here on LQ. This site is one of the main reasons why I stuck with GNU/Linux.

As for suggestions, I have this idea to improve those zero reply threads that don't contain enough information. How about an "I have a problem" button. I suppose it could also be called the "Problem Wizard". The button would appear in the user's "LQ UserCP". Here's how it would work:

1. Someone makes a new account here at LQ

2. An e-mail is immediately sent to the new user explaining where the button for the wizard can be found and a description of what it does.

3. When the user clicks the button, they are taken to a form with the following fields:

--OS Name--
*OS (drop list)
*version (drop list)

--Hardware--
*processor (drop list)
*amount of RAM (text field)
*graphics card (drop list)
*network card (drop list)

--Problem Description--
*Problem with... (2 radio buttons: Hardware (short description of what hardware is), Software (short description of what software is)
--*Checkbox block (appears when the user clicks one of the radio buttons, displays appropriate block of checkboxes)
*description (text field)
*optional command output (has 4 radio buttons: lsmod, lspci, lsusb, and other)
--*other (appears only when user clicks the "other" radio button, user enters custom command)
*output (textfield, user pastes output of whatever command they chose)

--Forum--
*Main forum (drop list, user picks main forum to start a new thread in)
*Sub forum (drop list, changes to match the selected main forum)

4. Users clicks the Submit button and a nicely formatted, coherent post is generated. At this time, the user is given the option to go back and change something, or go ahead and start the new thread.


This is just a rough draft, but I think it's a good idea and would help speed up the process of solving problems here on the forums. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "contributing member", but I don't have a lot of time on my hands and I can't code that well (yet!). If selected, I may have to pass it on someone else.
 
Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #83
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,818

Rep: Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAndThor View Post
I may not be that active on these forums (college stuff ), but I usually find the information I need right here on LQ. This site is one of the main reasons why I stuck with GNU/Linux.

As for suggestions, I have this idea to improve those zero reply threads that don't contain enough information. How about an "I have a problem" button. I suppose it could also be called the "Problem Wizard". The button would appear in the user's "LQ UserCP". Here's how it would work:

1. Someone makes a new account here at LQ

2. An e-mail is immediately sent to the new user explaining where the button for the wizard can be found and a description of what it does.

3. When the user clicks the button, they are taken to a form with the following fields:

--OS Name--
*OS (drop list)
*version (drop list)

--Hardware--
*processor (drop list)
*amount of RAM (text field)
*graphics card (drop list)
*network card (drop list)

--Problem Description--
*Problem with... (2 radio buttons: Hardware (short description of what hardware is), Software (short description of what software is)
--*Checkbox block (appears when the user clicks one of the radio buttons, displays appropriate block of checkboxes)
*description (text field)
*optional command output (has 4 radio buttons: lsmod, lspci, lsusb, and other)
--*other (appears only when user clicks the "other" radio button, user enters custom command)
*output (textfield, user pastes output of whatever command they chose)

--Forum--
*Main forum (drop list, user picks main forum to start a new thread in)
*Sub forum (drop list, changes to match the selected main forum)

4. Users clicks the Submit button and a nicely formatted, coherent post is generated. At this time, the user is given the option to go back and change something, or go ahead and start the new thread.


This is just a rough draft, but I think it's a good idea and would help speed up the process of solving problems here on the forums. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "contributing member", but I don't have a lot of time on my hands and I can't code that well (yet!). If selected, I may have to pass it on someone else.
Dude, you know what.... That actually sounds like a damn good idea for the new guys coming to the forums. I definitely second that idea.... Of course, we would need to figure out how it would work, like instead of just one post being generated, it would return a search query. I know what you said sounds almost the same as using the search function, but it would help in cases where the newer guys still don't know how to use code tags, what information is needed for further troubleshooting, etc. Maybe even a mandatory prerequosite checklist when you click "Submit" would pop up if you have less than say, 250 posts or so. Just trying to keep it easy.....
 
Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #84
scrit
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Happy Birthday. I'm a newpie. LQ is a very great site that I like.
 
Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #85
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,818

Rep: Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrit View Post
Happy Birthday. I'm a newpie. LQ is a very great site that I like.
Glad to hear! IMHO, these forums are among the best on the internet for linux-related material.
 
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #86
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: McCalla, AL, USA
Distribution: Gentoo (all servers at work are openSUSE)
Posts: 6,937

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by corp769 View Post
A few months ago, I wrote up a quick and dirty shell script that searched for topics on LQ; Sadly, I lost it. I will try to find it again, and if I do, I will create a new thread dedicated to it. If not, I will re-write it.
Would be nice if you provide a link to said script
 
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #87
PhoenixAndThor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Geogia, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Live CDs
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 39
@corp769

@corp769: The checklist is a nice idea, another is to have a version of the Problem Wizard set up to act sort of like a search front-end on steroids Also, since every thread started with the Problem Wizard would have the same headings, a few server-side scripts could be made to pull some of this information and use it for something. Exactly what, I don't know

One thing that comes to mind is the HCL, which has a few "holes". There are a lot of sub-categories that have 0 entries. In my opinion, if they don't have any entries, then shouldn't they be hidden by default? Anyway, maybe some of those areas could be filled with information from the server side scripts, so users get an idea of what Joe had to go through to get a specific graphics card to work, or which distros support the latest XYZ I/O adapter, etc.

Last edited by PhoenixAndThor; 07-02-2011 at 07:36 AM.
 
Old 07-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #88
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,818

Rep: Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hill View Post
Would be nice if you provide a link to said script
I'm still trying to look dude, I'm currently deployed and it's kinda hard to get enough time to even take a shower sometimes.....
 
Old 07-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #89
XenaneX
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta Georgia USA
Distribution: MX16 - formerly PCLOS
Posts: 155
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCode View Post
own repos anyway.

I do like the video tut section idea, though.
Me too and links to Youtube and the like would be sufficient. Just get them all in one place and catagorized.
 
Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #90
MCD555
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Oracle Linux
Posts: 108

Rep: Reputation: 10
Many thanks to all for the knowledge that LQ gives!
Also, a particular thanks to Jeremy that make this happens!

I may only change the graphic layout to improve readability and the look ;-)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LinuxQuestions.org Turns Seven jeremy Linux - News 148 12-20-2007 09:29 AM
LXer: Review: Scalix 10 Turns It Up to Eleven LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-17-2006 03:46 AM
LinuxQuestions.org Turns Five jeremy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 72 09-08-2005 11:12 AM
LinuxQuestions.org turns three! jeremy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 20 07-02-2003 07:24 AM
LinuxQuestions.org turns 2 jeremy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 27 07-13-2002 08:49 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration