LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
oskar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Austria
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10
Posts: 1,142

Rep: Reputation: 49

Wow, looks like I'm 13 again.

I actually need the latest features in Feisty. Namely the low latency kernel and the packages by Ubuntu-Studio. To this date there hasn't been a well maintained distribution that was suitable for audio editing. You had to do alot of configuring, including patching the kernel.
About stability: that's what the LTS versions are for!
Dapper will get support until 2009.
 
Old 03-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
Lsatenstein
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal Canada
Distribution: Fedora 26 (Russian RFRemix DVD version)
Posts: 299
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 58
UBUNTU will make a profit on the desktop. Why should it not do so. Look at Novells financial report. UBUNTU will not do it overnight, but I predict that it will be profitable within 4 years.

By the way, in the end, there will be as many distributions as there are manufacturers of cars.
 
Old 03-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #18
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Anyways, I think at this point there is not much more to discuss.
With that I do agree, but you should've stopped there.

Quote:
The future is uncertain at best, by definition...
By whose definition?

Quote:
Which is just about what Mr. Shuttleworth has stated himself.
Oh, you mean you're not putting that many words in his mouth?

Quote:
Give it another 2-3 years, and we will see.
Exactly. Don't take my side of this debate personally... It's not personal. I just don't find anything useful or unharmful in posting highly opinionated 'doomsayer' commentaries on the internet.

Quote:
I wish Canonical/Ubuntu the best of luck.
Thank you. So do I.

Cheers
Bill
 
Old 03-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #19
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsatenstein
UBUNTU will make a profit on the desktop. Why should it not do so. Look at Novells financial report. UBUNTU will not do it overnight, but I predict that it will be profitable within 4 years.
Now, that's a prediction I can live with.

Quote:
By the way, in the end, there will be as many distributions as there are manufacturers of cars.
I thought we surpassed that one long ago! LOL

Cheers
Bill
 
Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #20
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsatenstein
UBUNTU will make a profit on the desktop. Why should it not do so. Look at Novells financial report. UBUNTU will not do it overnight, but I predict that it will be profitable within 4 years.
Personally I don't see how they are going to make profit by focusing on the desktop. Most desktop users do not pay for their distro or the additional services provided by their distro maintainer, so there is very little money to be made from desktop Linux users. Even Novell which you mention, makes most of its Linux profits from SLED/SLES subscritptions and not their boxed sets. Unless Canonical comes up with really good enterprise offerings, I'm afraid all the millions they are spending on ship-it (which now seems limited to Ubuntu 6.06 LTS) and their viral marketing (both which are probably causing Canonical financial losses) will go to waste. As things stand, they simply can't compete with Redhat and Novell in the enterprises and currently thats where most of the money is in Linux.
 
Old 03-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #21
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddazz
Personally I don't see how they are going to make profit by focusing on the desktop. Most desktop users do not pay for their distro or the additional services provided by their distro maintainer, so there is very little money to be made from desktop Linux users. Even Novell which you mention, makes most of its Linux profits from SLED/SLES subscritptions and not their boxed sets. Unless Canonical comes up with really good enterprise offerings, I'm afraid all the millions they are spending on ship-it (which now seems limited to Ubuntu 6.06 LTS) and their viral marketing (both which are probably causing Canonical financial losses) will go to waste. As things stand, they simply can't compete with Redhat and Novell in the enterprises and currently thats where most of the money is in Linux.
Yes, there is a bit of a kink in the system, isn't there? I mean, with the FSF and it's GPL and all. I thoroughly admire Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds, and everyone else in the Linux world for their dreams and efforts, but it is persistently failing because nobody can get rich off of open source. Of course, the in-fighting and self-corrupting FUD doesn't help anything, either.
 
Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #22
oskar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Austria
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10
Posts: 1,142

Rep: Reputation: 49
Can't... take it...
misinformation... overload.

There are quite a few open source millionaires that shure would like to tell you otherwise... Christ almighty, don't you people try to get anything right before posting.
BTW, try to figure out how Google became a billion dollar company.

Last edited by oskar; 03-19-2007 at 07:52 AM.
 
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #23
Daws
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 38
Quote:
You guys ought to have seen the LQ thread where the guy (probably author) says something like "I can't wait anymore. LXer don't accept this [writeup]".

The hypothesis is so ridiculous that editors rejected it. So it's now on Digg where there's no barrier to submission, but only peer review.
Ha. rickh you seem to have ruffled some feathers over on digg. Nicely done.

In my opinion, as long as Debian or another project with similar ideals survives, we need not worry.
 
Old 03-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #24
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar
Can't... take it...
misinformation... overload.

There are quite a few open source millionaires that shure would like to tell you otherwise... Christ almighty, don't you people try to get anything right before posting.
BTW, try to figure out how Google became a billion dollar company.
To which post are you referring? If it's my last, that was sarcasm. I just have a problem with FUD being spread on the net that this or that distro is dying in 3 or 4 years for whatever reason when the company behind it has made no mention of giving up and is in the process of shifting policies.

Maybe I've just seen too much of the same on Yahoo message boards from Windoze users to deal with it properly, but Canonical IS making an effort, so give them a chance. Don't kill it for them by spreading FUD to potential new users. That's my point...

Cheers
Bill
 
Old 03-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #25
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daws
Ha. rickh you seem to have ruffled some feathers over on digg. Nicely done.

In my opinion, as long as Debian or another project with similar ideals survives, we need not worry.
Very true. I predict the next #1 distro will be Sidux.

Somewhat similar to Ubuntu, but retains compatibility with Debian.

Cheers
Bill
 
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #26
md5
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by General
....................................
Why did you delete your post? Truer words were never spoken. [Did they get to you?]


Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslayer48dx
By whose definition?
The future is always uncertain. I do not know how else to explain it without bringing powers of Clairvoyance to the table.

All I'm able to do is take what I know and speculate, or make a prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslayer48dx
Oh, you mean you're not putting that many words in his mouth?
I'm not putting anything in his mouth. He was quoted in a dozen different news publications saying much more. It's also in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslayer48dx
Exactly. Don't take my side of this debate personally... It's not personal. I just don't find anything useful or unharmful in posting highly opinionated 'doomsayer' commentaries on the internet.
IMO, that's all you have been doing, taking this personally. Hense this discussion turning into tripe.

When people start to delete their own posts that go against the grain, something is wrong.

Last edited by md5; 03-20-2007 at 05:09 PM.
 
Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #27
angryfirelord
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 515

Rep: Reputation: 66
Even if Canonical goes belly up, I think Ubuntu will remain because it has attracted a huge fan base. It just may not be #1.
 
Old 03-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #28
Lsatenstein
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal Canada
Distribution: Fedora 26 (Russian RFRemix DVD version)
Posts: 299
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 58
What a bunch of negative people. Why even play with linux if there is the gloom of going bankrupt. I think that UBUNTU will succeed, and it is not an experiment.

And it will succeed even with rejection by the big box stores. The big box stores are switching anyway, from pcs to laptops, and laptops to large screen TVs. They follow the profit. When Vista will not give them profit, nor any Anti-virus product, then perhaps there is a glimmer of hope that linux will be sold by these retail gougers.
 
Old 03-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #29
jerril
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 114

Rep: Reputation: 15
I'd just like to stop seeing blank stares when I say Linux. That will mean any distribution will have to be seen on more desktops. Most people I know can't even stop using MS Explorer.

People are going to need a reason to switch. Linux, GNU, Free Software, Open Source, none of it light up on most people's radar. I've been using Linux for over seven years, It still seems invisible.

jer
 
Old 03-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #30
md5
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 15
That's exactly right. People do need a reason, a good one, and it's not going to be the open-source movement or a GPL license. It's going to be features and ease-of-use. It's going to be a result of Marketing. And even then, because people stick with what they know, it's going to be an uphill battle.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ubuntu runs slowly on celeron-m IBM thinkpad Th3James Linux - General 2 05-07-2007 08:36 PM
Hard drive dying. Need to move Linux partition over. Fear58 Linux - General 3 01-29-2005 05:14 PM
Linux dying at partition check at boot tonimontanna Linux - General 2 02-24-2004 04:21 PM
Network Connection Dying on Arch Linux isamoor Linux - Networking 0 02-09-2004 01:21 PM
Linux is going slowly justinv Linux - General 2 02-23-2003 09:15 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration