Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.


  Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Registered: Jun 2006
Distribution: SuSe
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Debian goes "Carrier grade" Linux

Visit link for several hyper-linked words in the article.

Debian Linux gains carrier grade status

Linux distro muscles up for telecommunications users
Tom Sanders in California, 06 Jun 2006

The Debian Linux distribution has certified under the Open Source Development Labs' (OSDL) Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) specifications.

The certification indicates that the Linux distribution meets a set of requirements for availability, reliability, performance and service response times that are typically required by telecommunications providers.

"CGL registration marks an important milestone in Debian's support for Linux in communications infrastructure," said Debian project leader Anthony Towns.

"With the assistance of our industry partners in meeting OSDL's CGL specifications, we look forward to better addressing the needs of the increasing market for Linux systems in telecommunications."

HP has been pushing the CGL registration. The server vendor uses Debian on servers for telecommunications applications.

The CGL certification is limited to the Debian 3.1 version, codenamed 'Sarge'. The new release furthermore offers security updates and deploys the 2.6.8 Linux kernel.

There are currently eight Linux distributions that meet the CGL criteria, including SuSe Linux Enterprise Server, MontaVista and Asianux.

Red Hat doesn’t sign up to the standard because the Linux vendor believes that it is lacking. Compliance for instance isn't audited, forcing users to rely on the distribution's reputation and track record. Red Hat claims that it incorporates about 85 per cent of the CGL's requirements, and dismisses the remaining 15 per cent as "immature technologies".

I think it's a good thing if service carriers really do use carrier certified linux because then people trying to pick a distro for the first time can say that companies whom incomes depend on this working right are using it so it must have some quality!

Yet using the same OS on your desktop that is used in a switching and routing warehouse may not be the optimal choice!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
LQ Guru
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 8,455
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918Reputation: 2918
At this point in time, the "quality" of Linux is really no longer in question. There are millions of CPUs now that are running this OS.

Historically, neither Linux nor Unix competed very strongly (in their stock, un-modified forms) in areas that demanded "real-time" response (as in, guaranteed interrupt latency, CPU-share, and so on), nor in applications that demanded guaranteed hardware-availability (as in the old "Tandem" brand computers).

It's good to see Linux vendors making formal advances into this marketplace, even if some of their peers believe that the efforts are not yet quite mature.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Registered: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa/Montréal
Distribution: Slackware + Darwin (MacOS X)
Posts: 468

Rep: Reputation: 30
I just made the decision to move my server over to Debian, nice to see this news combat buyers remorce (or the open source equivalent of time investment


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Robotics Message Modem "NO CARRIER" Signal saqib Linux - Hardware 3 08-31-2006 12:58 PM
LXer: HP unveils Carrier Grade Debian LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-05-2006 08:03 AM
Carrier Grade Linux abhavana Linux - Software 3 05-11-2006 01:40 AM
Assembling Carrier Grade Linux from Scratch santoshakhilesh Linux From Scratch 1 12-21-2005 07:35 PM
Is there a "How to up grade Linux Kernal?" slackinagn Linux - Software 1 02-20-2004 02:04 PM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration