LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - News (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/)
-   -   2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award Winners (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/2009-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-award-winners-788028/)

jeremy 02-10-2010 10:44 AM

Junkieman, thanks, much appreciated and very nice.

kbp, the difference is not really minuscule; one is supported by RHT and one is not.

Electro, Compiz is a full compositing window manager to my understanding (Compiz Extras and Compiz Fusion are simply enhancements). I explained the guidelines for voting in one of the introductory posts and also go into detail every year regarding the fact that some nominees in certain categories are not directly comparable.

--jeremy

Bratmon 02-10-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro (Post 3858637)
Compiz is not a window manager. It is an enhancement or eye candy for both Window and Desktop managers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Compiz is one of the first compositing window managers for the X Window System that uses 3D graphics hardware to create fast compositing desktop effects for window management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

MBybee 02-10-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro (Post 3858637)
Compiz is not a window manager. It is an enhancement or eye candy for both Window and Desktop managers.

I suggest you place a reminder to users before voting to not vote based on favorite, but vote based on what did better than previous year. The reason why I am saying this is because it seems people voted based on their favorite.

I disagree with the results because most do not deserve an award. OpenOffice did nothing to improve, but made my life a living hell to use it. Do not forget to include Softmaker Office for next year.

I do not think you should include Programming Language, Host Security Application, and some others because each program in these categories are used differently, so they can not compare. It is like using a strainer to be used as a cup trying to hold a liquid.

I disagree - I know I voted on most improved/changed. I voted VirtualBox, for example, even though my favorite is VMware. VirtualBox totally blew me away this year and is on the way to being an overall favorite, despite not having 1/3rd the functionality of VMware.

Programming languages are not that different - most problems can be approached by at least 6 or 7 languages, so I must disagree with you there. That's not saying that Ruby can do microcode, but more that CGI/Web stuff can be done by easily a dozen languages (including C).

CoderMan 02-10-2010 05:40 PM

Proposing two additional categories for next year:

"Most Adaptable Distribution of the Year"

"Most Geeky Distribution of the Year"

Electro 02-10-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratmon (Post 3859137)

Do not believe everything you read on wikipedia, so it is a worst resource. Compiz is an enhancement or eye candy -- period.


Quote:

Originally Posted by MBybee (Post 3859167)
I disagree - I know I voted on most improved/changed. I voted VirtualBox, for example, even though my favorite is VMware. VirtualBox totally blew me away this year and is on the way to being an overall favorite, despite not having 1/3rd the functionality of VMware.

Programming languages are not that different - most problems can be approached by at least 6 or 7 languages, so I must disagree with you there. That's not saying that Ruby can do microcode, but more that CGI/Web stuff can be done by easily a dozen languages (including C).

Virtualbox did not impress me last year. It is unreliable and unstable.

Using any programming language is a matter of preference. None of them are better than the other. Python got a award based on it being the most favorite, so that category should not be in there at all. If you disagree then you do not know about programming languages.

MBybee 02-10-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro (Post 3859853)
Do not believe everything you read on wikipedia, so it is a worst resource. Compiz is an enhancement or eye candy -- period.

Virtualbox did not impress me last year. It is unreliable and unstable.

Ah. I see from your posting history that you were the guy unable to figure out how to set up a network with VirtualBox. I now understand your dislike of it :)

I haven't had that problem, in fact I've used it with Windows, Debian, and PC-BSD as host OSs and a range of guests going from Windows to Ubuntu and PC-BSD without ever having a networking issue. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I never had to do a single tweak aside from memory allocations.
Still, opinions are opinions, and I respect yours.

As for Compiz being a window manager, even your own distro disagrees with you:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Compiz-Fusion
As do several others:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compiz
http://www.compiz.org/
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/..._compiz_fusion
http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz_Fusion

Maybe you don't believe Wikipedia, but I'm afraid you're just incorrect here.

Electro 02-10-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBybee (Post 3859875)
Ah. I see from your posting history that you were the guy unable to figure out how to set up a network with VirtualBox. I now understand your dislike of it :)

I haven't had that problem, in fact I've used it with Windows, Debian, and PC-BSD as host OSs and a range of guests going from Windows to Ubuntu and PC-BSD without ever having a networking issue. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I never had to do a single tweak aside from memory allocations.
Still, opinions are opinions, and I respect yours.

As for Compiz being a window manager, even your own distro disagrees with you:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Compiz-Fusion
As do several others:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compiz
http://www.compiz.org/
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/..._compiz_fusion
http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz_Fusion

Maybe you don't believe Wikipedia, but I'm afraid you're just incorrect here.

It is not about being incorrect about Compiz. It is about disagreeing with people that want one thing be in a category that should not in instead it is just eye candy. Compiz is eye candy crap that enhances any window manager or desktop manager, but Compiz is not a window manager because it uses someone else to make it its own. Basically Compiz is compositing manager.

CoderMan 02-11-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro (Post 3859853)
Using any programming language is a matter of preference. None of them are better than the other. Python got a award based on it being the most favorite, so that category should not be in there at all. If you disagree then you do not know about programming languages.

That's not quite an accurate statement. Some languages are better suited for certain types of programming than others, and some languages do have features that make the programming process more productive or defects that get in the way.

Of course, I'm sure you know that and we all know that. Maybe it would be better to subdivide the competition. For example:

Which language is best for...
- Web Design
- Application Programming
- Embedded Development
- Scientific Applications
- et cetera

veatnik 02-12-2010 10:55 PM

As an everyday editor of course it is vim over emacs, because...
 
emacs was entered in the kitchen sink category!

Organizers of the competition were overheard explaining that, "The kitchen sink category was not included in the vote this year as only one application/OS falls into the category so voting on it would lead to a bit of an anticlimax" ;-)

(Note that I am a died in the wool emacs user. I just could not resist a bit of teasing. Also note that I can tolerate vi or vim ("or even ed", he says, dating himself) as a nice standard out of the box editor in a standard Linux/Unix installation.) What I hate is having a different "default" text editor in every newfangled distro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamorex (Post 3857997)
Thanks Jeremy.
Just to let you know there must be a bug in the script that counts votes. I mean, vim over emacs - that can't be right, LOL


usdanskys 02-14-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro (Post 3858637)
Compiz is not a window manager. It is an enhancement or eye candy for both Window and Desktop managers.

Then what's managing my windows?
It's not metacity, mutter, openbox, or twm, which are the only other window managers installed on my system. Granted, I'm using emerald to decorate the windows, but I do believe compiz is doing the management.

mkpelletier 02-15-2010 01:51 AM

Category for software in testing?
 
Perhaps we might add a category for most promising new technology, i.e. projects still in testing. I think this would be a tantalizing group and would introduce users to projects on which they could provide feedback to the developers.

For example, we might include in this category things like:

Zeitgeist
Gnome-Shell
Akonadi (I know this is out, but it is still quite buggy)
KBFX
ETC.

We might also include a category for best widget program:
  • Screenlets
  • Desklets
  • Plasmoids
  • SuperKaramba
  • Google Gadgets
  • ETC

Your thoughts?

~Cheers!

blackhole54 02-15-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkieman (Post 3859046)
For those interested, I posted a top 5 summary for each category. If anything seems out of place, or I missed something, leave a comment on the post :)

Wow! That's fantastic! Thanks a lot.

And thanks for using the term "elite users" instead of (ahem, turns head to the side in disugust) "power users". That last phrase, in my not so humble opinion, should be forever banished from the face of the earth!

oneforall 02-15-2010 06:58 AM

You calling us terrible?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Completely Clueless (Post 3857992)
It is probably down to Slacware's terrible dependency-handling, Brian. :->


pff I do a great job get with it man:)
I rarely even use the pkgtools. I just use what it uses :)

Luckyjfl 02-15-2010 10:22 AM

Well Guys, as a Noob, I applaud the contents of the result. For those people like myself, it gives us a great idea of some of the various programs to use. This ofcourse, does not take anything away from the tremndous help we get from all you Guys out there. We really appreciate it. Thats all.
All the best.

Lucky

aaltto 02-15-2010 01:09 PM

My first post so it's likely to be fraught with error. Your comment that Open Office made your life 'a living hell' was a real stopper. Could you detail that statement a bit for us? Thank you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.