LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #16
r3sistance
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Distribution: CentOS 6/7
Posts: 1,375

Rep: Reputation: 217Reputation: 217Reputation: 217

There is an alternative to re-installing the OS, it is just that the alternative is liable to leave the system in a worse state and to be more difficult to achieve. Basically you'd now need to install all the necessary packages to install python, it is a process known as 'dependency hell' and is what yum is there to resolve but as we are doing this to try and repair yum... there in lays the problem. Also doing this may still leave the system in somewhat of an unclean state whereas re-installing should be clean.
 
Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #17
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,465

Rep: Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605
you should have checked updates first
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.8/...6_64/Packages/
python-2.6.6-66.el6_8.x86_64.rpm is in there
 
Old 02-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
praveenkv
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3sistance View Post
There is an alternative to re-installing the OS, it is just that the alternative is liable to leave the system in a worse state and to be more difficult to achieve. Basically you'd now need to install all the necessary packages to install python, it is a process known as 'dependency hell' and is what yum is there to resolve but as we are doing this to try and repair yum... there in lays the problem. Also doing this may still leave the system in somewhat of an unclean state whereas re-installing should be clean.
Then, I'll have to plan to re-install the OS.
Which version of CentOS is stable and you suggest?
 
Old 02-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #19
praveenkv
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
you should have checked updates first
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.8/...6_64/Packages/
python-2.6.6-66.el6_8.x86_64.rpm is in there
Hi John,
I've installed them but no use.
 
Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,465

Rep: Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605Reputation: 2605
then there might be a repo problem , like one of the old and nolonger used repos

can you please post the output of this
it tells us and you just WHAT software repos are installed and if they are used

Code:
su -
yum repolist all
and if that errors please post the error

then this
Code:
su -
rpm | grep python

Last edited by John VV; 02-10-2017 at 09:03 AM.
 
Old 02-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #21
praveenkv
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
then there might be a repo problem , like one of the old and nolonger used repos

can you please post the output of this
it tells us and you just WHAT software repos are installed and if they are used

Code:
su -
yum repolist all
and if that errors please post the error

then this
Code:
su -
rpm | grep python
# yum repolist all
-bash: /usr/bin/yum: /usr/bin/python2.6.6: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

# rpm | grep python
RPM version 4.8.0
Copyright (C) 1998-2002 - Red Hat, Inc.
This program may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU GPL
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wifi stopped working after yum update - CentOS 7 aocferreira Linux - Wireless Networking 7 07-22-2015 02:34 PM
[SOLVED] yum-cron is not working on CentOS 5.10 kkpal Linux - Server 4 05-27-2014 12:15 AM
yum repolist issue (yum not working on Centos 5) sanjay2004 Programming 10 02-26-2014 06:57 AM
Yum Not working in CentOS 6.4 mahesh1222 Linux - Distributions 10 01-15-2014 04:09 AM
yum not working on centos 5 vivendi Linux - Newbie 6 11-17-2011 05:51 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration