-   Linux - Newbie (
-   -   wvdial worked on Ubuntu but won't work on SUSE (

GeoRanger 11-09-2006 02:46 AM

wvdial worked on Ubuntu but won't work on SUSE

My computer previously was able to dial in to my ISP, using wvdial, from either Windows XP or from Ubuntu Linux. I replaced Ubuntu with SuSe, making sure that I kept a copy of wvdial.conf when I did so. Under SuSe, I ran wvdialconf to make sure the relevant settings were the same (they were). When I ran wvdial from the terminal window, I could see NO CARRIER right after the password was sent. After going through the modem and ISP configuration in YaST, I am now trying to use kinternet and see basically the same result in the log file that it produces (included below).

I created and tested a new dial-up connection in Windows to make sure I had my username and password correct.

When I dial in from SuSe the noises made by the modem all sound normal and identical to those made when I dial in under Windows.

I cannot tell if my end or my ISP's end is hanging up.

Does anyone have any ideas about where I should look or what I should try to get this to work with SuSe?

Thanks for any help,

Modem : External US Robotics 56K faxmodem.
CPU : AMD 64-bit Athlon
Memory: 1 GB
OSs : SuSe Linux 10.1, Windows XP SP2.


SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.59 on Ophir.
Status is: disconnected
trying to connect to smpppd
connect to smpppd
Status is: disconnected
Status is: connecting
pppd[0]: Plugin loaded.
pppd[0]: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
pppd[0]: --> Initializing modem.
pppd[0]: --> Sending: ATZ
pppd[0]: ATZ
pppd[0]: OK
pppd[0]: --> Sending: AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
pppd[0]: AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
pppd[0]: OK
pppd[0]: --> Sending: ATM1
pppd[0]: ATM1
pppd[0]: OK
pppd[0]: --> Modem initialized.
pppd[0]: --> Sending: ATDT2461435
pppd[0]: --> Waiting for carrier.
pppd[0]: ATDT2461435
pppd[0]: CONNECT 45333/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
pppd[0]: --> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
pppd[0]: CVX Access Switch.
pppd[0]: Access is restricted to authorized users only.
pppd[0]: login:
pppd[0]: --> Looks like a login prompt.
pppd[0]: --> Sending: [my account name]
pppd[0]: [my account name]
pppd[0]: password:
pppd[0]: --> Looks like a password prompt.
pppd[0]: --> Sending: (password)
pppd[0]: NO CARRIER
pppd[0]: --> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
pppd[0]: Serial connection established.
pppd[0]: Renamed interface ppp0 to modem0
pppd[0]: Using interface modem0
Status is: connecting
pppd[0]: Connect: modem0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
pppd[0]: Serial line is looped back.
pppd[0]: Connection terminated.
Status is: disconnected
pppd[0] died: Loopback detected (exit code 17)

Albrich 11-09-2006 09:29 AM

wvdial modem
I had similar problems with a U.S.Robotics Message Modem.
The ATZ defaults to ATZ0 - which resets to factory defaults. You probably want ATZ4 - set to PC defaults. (or AT&F1 or AT&Y3)
The Hayes code descriptions in the kde manual 'KDE-Internet-Dial UP-Kppp-appendix B' have more details but you need the U.S.Robotics ones on your disk (use Konqueror) because some are different.
Another thing to look at is the Guard Tone &G0/1/2 which is sent or not sent fron the other modem, and does not always follow local standards. If this is wrong you will get the NO CARRIER.

GeoRanger 11-10-2006 11:51 PM

Thank you for your interest in my problem. :-)

The initialization codes you suggested had no perceptible effect, however trying them got me poking around in the place where I was able to find what is apparently the real problem.

The YaST2 configuration has a panel with about five checkboxes where you configure your ISP. One of those is labeled (no joke) "Stupid Mode". I had this unchecked. I tried checking it and that setting made the difference. (I confirmed the result by unchecking and checking it again.)

I looked around on the internet and the setting seems to have something to do with synchronizing the receipt of a login prompt from the ISP with a handoff between wvdial and ppp. I didn't really understand it but some of the material I read indicated it is a problem with the ISP.

I still have my old wvdial.conf file from Ubuntu. Interestingly and to my puzzlement, when I compare that file to the wvdial.conf that was generated under SuSe, the Ubuntu version does not have "stupid mode" turned on (set to 1) but the SuSe version does. I don't understand why "stupid mode" was not needed under Ubuntu, especially if the problem is something to do with the ISP.

Thanks for your help! :-)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.