LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   What and where is XF86Config-4 (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/what-and-where-is-xf86config-4-a-119941/)

xailer 11-25-2003 07:32 PM

What and where is XF86Config-4
 
hi

There is supposed to be configuration file(red hat 9) named XF86Config-4
for X, but I can't find it.

Is this the right file and where is it?

Also,what is low level formatting(apparently you can use fdformat to low level format the diskette)?.
Does that then mean you can high level format diskette to either msdos or FAT32,FAT16?

thank you

aaa 11-25-2003 07:43 PM

It should be in /etc/X11 . If it's not, then you should look for XF86Config instead. The '-4' is used when you also have/had an older versin of XFree86. Versions 3.x & 4.x's config files differ slightly, hence the new name.

Tinkster 11-25-2003 07:45 PM

Re: What and where is XF86Config-4
 
Quote:

Originally posted by xailer
There is supposed to be configuration file(red hat 9) named XF86Config-4
for X, but I can't find it.

Is this the right file and where is it?
man XF86Config
man locate
locate XF86Config

And what exactly do you mean by
"Is this the right file?" Right file for ...? :)

Quote:

Also,what is low level formatting(apparently you can use fdformat to low level format the diskette)?.
Does that then mean you can high level format diskette to either msdos or FAT32,FAT16?
man fdformat
man mkdosfs
man mke2fs
man mkfs



Cheers,
Tink

xailer 11-26-2003 11:49 AM

Re: Re: What and where is XF86Config-4
 
hi

Quote:

Originally posted by Tinkster
man XF86Config
man locate
locate XF86Config

I can find XF86Config,but I can't find XF86Config-4

Quote:

And what exactly do you mean by "Is this the right file?" Right file for ...? :)
Well as I understand XF96Config file is configuration file for Xfree86,
but XF86Config-4 file is a file that tells which version of xFree86 to even
run

Quote:

man fdformat
But man fdformat doesn't explain what exactly low level formating is

Quote:

man mkdosfs
man mke2fs
man mkfs

When I type in man 8 mfks.vfat or man mkfs.vfat I get a manual on mkdofsfs.
In other words,I found nothing that would explain the difference between mkfs.vfat and mkfs.msdos

bye

aaa 11-26-2003 12:00 PM

Read the manual page carefully:
To make vfat:
mkdosfs -F 32 [device]
To make msdos:
mkdosfs [device]

If you don't have a XF86Config-4, don't worry about it. X is using the XF86Config file instead. Read my earlier post again.

xailer 11-26-2003 12:45 PM

hi

Quote:

Originally posted by aaa
If you don't have a XF86Config-4, don't worry about it. X is using the XF86Config file instead. Read my earlier post again.
It just seems weird...Does XF86Config file tell which
xFree86 to load and after xFree86 is loaded it uses XF86Config as its
configuration file?


Quote:

Read the manual page carefully:
To make vfat:
mkdosfs -F 32 [device]
To make msdos:
mkdosfs [device]


uh,I was focused on mkfs command so much that I didn't think of any other possibillity

Im sorry for all the trouble and thanx for helping

Tinkster 11-26-2003 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xailer
It just seems weird...Does XF86Config file tell which
xFree86 to load and after xFree86 is loaded it uses XF86Config as its
configuration file?
Read the man page again... and the explanation
you got earlier in the thread.

XFree 4.x first looks for a XF86Config-4, if it
can't find it, it looks for XF86Config. The new
name (from what I understand) was introduced
for the phase of migrating from a 3.x to a 4.x
version. So, don't worry.


Cheers,
Tink

xailer 11-26-2003 04:55 PM

ok,thank you all for your help

bye

PS:I'd like to save this threads to my PC,but for some reason I can't.Otherwise Im having no trouble saving html pages so I assume it's something wrong with this web site.Is anybody else having this problems and what to do about it?

aaa 11-26-2003 05:09 PM

What browser are you using? You can also copy/paste text to somewhere else.

xailer 11-26-2003 05:13 PM

hi

Im using(get ready and don't get mad:))...IE6.I am copying to text file but it would be better if...

bye

aaa 11-26-2003 05:19 PM

Sometimes IE acts up when saving pages. Try the different choices you have (html complete..etc..) when you click 'Save As'.

xailer 11-26-2003 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aaa
Sometimes IE acts up when saving pages. Try the different choices you have (html complete..etc..) when you click 'Save As'.
Tommorow Im gonna try on different PC and see if it behaves the same there too.

thank you


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.