LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
hack3rcon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,432

Rep: Reputation: 10
Post UTF8 in terminal.


Hello.
How can I enable UTF8 in terminal? sometimes files or directories names are not English.

Thank you.
 
Old 08-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
smallpond
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Fedora 33
Posts: 3,602

Rep: Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028
Most terminal programs are similar to xterm which sets it's character encoding based on the LANG environment variable. Of course, your font needs to support the characters used or else you get the default box character.
 
Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
hack3rcon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,432

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpond View Post
Most terminal programs are similar to xterm which sets it's character encoding based on the LANG environment variable. Of course, your font needs to support the characters used or else you get the default box character.
"LANG" variable? How can I change it?
 
Old 08-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian
Posts: 5,790

Rep: Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153
What do you get from the "locale" command? For example, I get "en_GB.utf8". Most have used utf8 as the default for years.

This is the sort of question where it would help if your posts included the name of your distro, since the information is stored in various places.

Last edited by DavidMcCann; 08-20-2017 at 11:08 AM.
 
Old 08-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
hack3rcon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,432

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
What do you get from the "locale" command? For example, I get "en_GB.utf8". Most have used utf8 as the default for years.

This is the sort of question where it would help if your posts included the name of your distro, since the information is stored in various places.
My Distor is Debian 8.6 x64 and the output of command is :
Code:
$ locale -a
C
C.UTF-8
en_US.utf8
POSIX
But I can't see the folder name is other languages correctly!!!

I did "https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/303712/how-can-i-enable-utf-8-support-in-the-linux-console" too but problem not solved.

Last edited by hack3rcon; 08-21-2017 at 01:43 AM.
 
Old 08-21-2017, 05:52 AM   #6
smallpond
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Fedora 33
Posts: 3,602

Rep: Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028Reputation: 1028
What terminal are you using?
 
Old 08-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #7
hack3rcon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,432

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpond View Post
What terminal are you using?
"MATE Terminal 1.8.1".
 
Old 08-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian
Posts: 5,790

Rep: Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153
It would seem that the problem is probably the font used in the terminal: try changing it. Which languages are not displaying properly?
 
Old 08-22-2017, 02:31 AM   #9
hack3rcon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,432

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
It would seem that the problem is probably the font used in the terminal: try changing it. Which languages are not displaying properly?
Change Terminal? Fonts like Asian language, Farsi and...
 
Old 08-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian
Posts: 5,790

Rep: Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153
That was helpful. I've looked at some Arabic and it displays properly in my text editor, but in the terminal (with the same font) the characters are all in the isolated form.

The answer seems to be mlterm. If it's not in your distro's repository, you can get it here
http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
hack3rcon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,432

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
That was helpful. I've looked at some Arabic and it displays properly in my text editor, but in the terminal (with the same font) the characters are all in the isolated form.

The answer seems to be mlterm. If it's not in your distro's repository, you can get it here
http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/
No, "mlterm" is a Debian repository and working very good, But why this problem can't solve via normal terminal?
 
Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian
Posts: 5,790

Rep: Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153Reputation: 2153
I'm glad that's sorted out: could you mark the thread SOLVED?

I suspect that the creators of the terminals were thinking that they only needed to cope with commands in bash, and that having a few funny-looking file names for some users was more acceptable than having to make their programs a lot more complicated. When I started using computers, file names could only use the Latin alphabet!
 
Old 08-26-2017, 04:27 AM   #13
hack3rcon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,432

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
I'm glad that's sorted out: could you mark the thread SOLVED?

I suspect that the creators of the terminals were thinking that they only needed to cope with commands in bash, and that having a few funny-looking file names for some users was more acceptable than having to make their programs a lot more complicated. When I started using computers, file names could only use the Latin alphabet!
Thank you
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
elilo and utf8 ajevremovic Slackware 16 09-28-2016 01:44 PM
utf8 hraposo Debian 1 08-11-2006 10:59 AM
vfat & utf8 & terminal mehlkelm Linux - General 0 12-13-2004 05:59 AM
Utf8 akasantos Fedora 2 11-18-2003 10:03 AM
NTFS and UTF8 Imyrryr Linux - Newbie 1 08-08-2003 03:08 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration