LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
slirx
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2016
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Using Font Awesome in terminal


Here is how font awesome icon is displayed in terminal:
http://i.imgur.com/B59n2qD.png
and sublime text:
http://i.imgur.com/zKrcGpm.png

How can I fix font awesome icon in terminal? Is there a way to do it?
 
Old 12-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware FreeBSD Win10 MX
Posts: 9,615

Rep: Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by slirx View Post
Here is how font awesome icon is displayed in terminal:
http://i.imgur.com/B59n2qD.png
and sublime text:
http://i.imgur.com/zKrcGpm.png

How can I fix font awesome icon in terminal? Is there a way to do it?
you should be able to just install your font, update cache, then go into your terminal preferences then change your font.

unless you're using something like xterm, where you'd have to edit its config file.
 
Old 12-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
slirx
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2016
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
you should be able to just install your font, update cache, then go into your terminal preferences then change your font.

unless you're using something like xterm, where you'd have to edit its config file.
Font Awesome is installed, because I can see the icon between <span> and </span>. The problem that the icon is displayed with fixed character width and </span> after the icon overlays it.
I've tried urxvt, termite, xfce4-terminal.
 
Old 12-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware FreeBSD Win10 MX
Posts: 9,615

Rep: Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by slirx View Post
Font Awesome is installed, because I can see the icon between <span> and </span>. The problem that the icon is displayed with fixed character width and </span> after the icon overlays it.
I've tried urxvt, termite, xfce4-terminal.
I hope this is what you are doing and it helps

After you get up and running, you can place Font Awesome icons just about anywhere with the

and hopefully this

http://askubuntu.com/questions/70022...-character-map

here too

gabrielelana/awesome-terminal-fonts

Last edited by BW-userx; 12-13-2016 at 12:32 PM.
 
Old 12-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
slirx
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2016
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
No, it does not help. The first link is about using Font Awesome in web browser. I need to fix displaying the icon in linux terminal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_console), not web browser. The next link doesn't contain anything related to terminal too.

Anyway, thanks.
 
Old 12-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware FreeBSD Win10 MX
Posts: 9,615

Rep: Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by slirx View Post
No, it does not help. The first link is about using Font Awesome in web browser. I need to fix displaying the icon in linux terminal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_console), not web browser. The next link doesn't contain anything related to terminal too.

Anyway, thanks.
that third link I put in there has icon fonts for terminal use
 
Old 12-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 4,003
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 847Reputation: 847Reputation: 847Reputation: 847Reputation: 847Reputation: 847Reputation: 847
Terminals tend to have fixed width fonts. You might try with urxvt, rxvt with unicode extenstions. Although likely futile IMO if you're not monospace and/or bitmap font wise. Or use the gui versions of emacs / vi.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: 10 more pointless (but awesome) Linux terminal tricks LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-23-2016 01:10 PM
[SOLVED] Ifplugd > Awesome WM 3.4.5-1 widget using awesome-client Biowaste Linux - General 3 07-09-2010 08:37 AM
Which font in the Gnome Terminal if not "system fixed width font"? Daantje Linux - Newbie 1 11-09-2008 09:31 AM
How to change font color and font size in terminal ? wlaw Linux - Newbie 3 05-15-2007 09:57 PM
System terminal font...which font is it? Dabria Linux - Software 1 06-30-2004 12:20 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration