drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-10-19 15:17 www
- d = directory
- rwxr-xr-x = permissions for the directory
- 2 = number of directories inside this directory, in this case ".' and ".."
- root = owner of the directory
- root = group of the directory
- 4096 = size of the file in bytes, don't really understand how this is calculated for directories
- 2008-10-19 15:17 = mtime of the file, don't really understand how this is applied to directories
- www = name of the directory
line is supposed to represent disk allocation for all files in the directory.
Please understand that the output of ls
can be implementation specific. Different Linux distros do things in different ways. Other Unix descendants can be even more different.
Additions and clarifications on the above are heartily welcomed
Oh, and related thread