LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Ubuntu 9 filename length (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/ubuntu-9-filename-length-743834/)

orlovs 07-30-2009 02:26 AM

Ubuntu 9 filename length
 
I'm new to linux and i hope you could help me.

How will i increase the length of filename that the linux ubuntu OS can handle? The filename length that i am creating works on windows. How come its not working in Linux. Please Help...

colucix 07-30-2009 02:58 AM

Hi and welcome to LinuxQuestions!

The maximum filename length depends on the filesystem. In ext3 the limit is 255 bytes, good enough for every file name you can think of! What do you mean for "it's not working in Linux"? Can you provide a real case with error messages?

nigelc 07-30-2009 03:27 AM

Just remember it's case sensitive.

orlovs 07-30-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colucix (Post 3625101)
Hi and welcome to LinuxQuestions!

The maximum filename length depends on the filesystem. In ext3 the limit is 255 bytes, good enough for every file name you can think of! What do you mean for "it's not working in Linux"? Can you provide a real case with error messages?

thnx for the fast reply. anyways,
here is the filename that i have :

everything.jsp_Q_browserId=firefox&themeId=controlpanel&colorSchemeId=01&minifierType=js&minifierBun dleId=javascript.everything.files&t=1249034302000

when i tried to make that as a filename of my file, it brings up an error message that says that the filename is too long.

colucix 07-30-2009 04:24 AM

It is 151 characters long. It works on my system using ext3. Which filesystem are you working on?

Anyway, note that it's not a good idea to create a file with ampersands &. You can manage them using single quotes or escaping \&, but it's not safe: if you forget quotes or escapes the shell tries to run some commands in background, even if in this case they will be just assignment statements: themeId=controlpanel, colorSchemeId=01 and so on.

orlovs 07-30-2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colucix (Post 3625171)
It is 151 characters long. It works on my system using ext3. Which filesystem are you working on?

Anyway, note that it's not a good idea to create a file with ampersands &. You can manage them using single quotes or escaping \&, but it's not safe: if you forget quotes or escapes the shell tries to run some commands in background, even if in this case they will be just assignment statements: themeId=controlpanel, colorSchemeId=01 and so on.

im also using ext3 . but theres an option to encrypt the home directory and did it. Do you think this is the problem? By the way im using ubuntu 9.04

colucix 07-30-2009 04:57 AM

Yes. It could be related to encryption, as explained in recent kernel's release notes. Here is an excerpt from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...ngeLog-2.6.29:
Quote:

Because filename encryption expands the length of the filename during the
encoding stage, eCryptfs will not properly handle filenames that are
already near the maximum filename length.

orlovs 07-30-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colucix (Post 3625199)
Yes. It could be related to encryption, as explained in recent kernel's release notes. Here is an excerpt from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...ngeLog-2.6.29:

I'm currently installing a new Ubuntu but didn't encrypt my home anymore. I hope it would work.

Anyways, thanks a lot for helping me. I'll let you know if it works.

pustakaonline 07-30-2009 06:14 AM

new bee
 
I am new in linux.. i am using ubuntu 9.04 jaunty... it's very nice, but i have using windows for a long ago, so when i migrate to linux, i should learn hard.... hmm.... difficult but nice...

go open source... ubuntu... go ahead......


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.