LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Trying to install ubuntu on HP 15 ba021ax (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/trying-to-install-ubuntu-on-hp-15-ba021ax-4175612657/)

deepakk456 08-26-2017 09:03 AM

Trying to install ubuntu on HP 15 ba021ax
 
System Details

HP Notebook - 15-ba021ax

Microprocessor
AMD Quad-Core A10-9600P (2.4 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz, 2 MB cache)

Video graphics
AMD Radeon™ R7 M440 Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

Wireless connectivity
802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo

Ram 8GB

i guess that should be enough info
i've tried installing many linux based os like ubuntu elemantry and many more

i have to use nomodeset to even start the installation and after when its done i have to use nomodeset every time at boot.

and secondly wifi gives very low signal.

this happened with every distro i've installed so my question is -
does my laptop support linux or not

jsbjsb001 08-26-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakk456 (Post 5752163)
System Details

HP Notebook - 15-ba021ax

Microprocessor
AMD Quad-Core A10-9600P (2.4 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz, 2 MB cache)

Video graphics
AMD Radeon™ R7 M440 Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

Wireless connectivity
802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo

Ram 8GB

i guess that should be enough info
i've tried installing many linux based os like ubuntu elemantry and many more

i have to use nomodeset to even start the installation and after when its done i have to use nomodeset every time at boot.

and secondly wifi gives very low signal.

this happened with every distro i've installed so my question is -
does my laptop support linux or not

Forgive me for being slow on the uptake but, what exactly is the problem(s) you are having? wifi? nomodeset?

Something else?

TB0ne 08-26-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakk456 (Post 5752163)
System Details

HP Notebook - 15-ba021ax
Microprocessor AMD Quad-Core A10-9600P (2.4 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz, 2 MB cache)
Video graphics AMD Radeon™ R7 M440 Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Wireless connectivity 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo
Ram 8GB

i guess that should be enough info

Indeed, and is more than we typically get.
Quote:

i've tried installing many linux based os like ubuntu elemantry and many more
Would be helpful to know what VERSION of ubuntu you're running. Older versions may not work correctly, and just saying "many more" doesn't give us much to go on.
Quote:

i have to use nomodeset to even start the installation and after when its done i have to use nomodeset every time at boot. and secondly wifi gives very low signal. this happened with every distro i've installed so my question is - does my laptop support linux or not
Since your laptop is WORKING under Linux, the obvious answer is "yes".

You could fix the nomodeset issue by editing grub (maybe), but we don't know what versions of things you're using, or what distro you've settled on. The low-signal could be the driver, but without knowing the chipset (and again, the version/distro you're using), we can't say.

deepakk456 08-26-2017 09:35 AM

Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25-1.3

linuxmint-18.1-cinnamon-64bit

ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64

Zorin-OS-12.1-Core-64

i've tried installing all these os

if i dont use nomodeset i get a blank screen when i select install ubuntu or whatever the distro is

jsbjsb001 08-26-2017 09:36 AM

Just noticed something else; is this the same question as this one: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ce-4175609739/ ???

deepakk456 08-26-2017 09:39 AM

it was not solved, i didn't know what to do so i installed win 10

jsbjsb001 08-26-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakk456 (Post 5752175)
it was not solved, i didn't know what to do so i installed win 10

Other than the fact your other question was not solved, don't know what else your trying to say. You did not even reply with more details, to your last question.

deepakk456 08-26-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 (Post 5752176)
Other that the fact your other question was not solved, don't know what else your trying to say. You did not even reply with more details, to your last question.

that time i was getting a "boot error end trace" error and i found this on a thread



in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
I have noticed that the vmlinuz is vmlinuz-generic-3.10.7. change it to vmlinuz-huge-3.10.7



and i was saying that i don't know where to find this in my grub menu

jsbjsb001 08-26-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakk456 (Post 5752177)
that time i was getting a "boot error end trace" error and i found this on a thread



in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
I have noticed that the vmlinuz is vmlinuz-generic-3.10.7. change it to vmlinuz-huge-3.10.7



and i was saying that i don't know where to find this in my grub menu

With all respect and I don't mean to sound rude but, I think you need to be a LOT more clear about the nature of your problem.

eg. Is something not working for you?? If so, WHAT? What error messages are you getting (if any)?? What other messages are you getting? What exactly is happening or not happening??

deepakk456 08-26-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 (Post 5752180)
With all respect and I don't mean to sound rude but, I think you need to be a LOT more clear about the nature of your problem.

eg. Is something not working for you?? If so, WHAT? What error messages are you getting (if any)?? What other messages are you getting? What exactly is happening or not happening??

ok i will install Zorin-OS-12.1-Core-64 right away.. i'll post the exact error i will get

deepakk456 08-26-2017 10:44 AM

Iam trying to install zorin os 12.1 after i select the option install zorin, I am getting stuck at the glowing zorin logo.. What should i do

TB0ne 08-26-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakk456 (Post 5752191)
Iam trying to install zorin os 12.1 after i select the option install zorin, I am getting stuck at the glowing zorin logo.. What should i do

First, you need to quit bouncing back and forth with distros...either work through your problems or just use Windows and deal with THOSE problems. If you're a new user, you need to get Mint and use it.

You need to disable the "Secure Boot" in your BIOS, and you need to then provide details about your wifi card, such as what chipset its using, which should be in your manual. Putting "linux mint nomodeset" into Google pulls up:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cinnamon.php

The "nomodeset" thing is coming up, because you haven't installed the right video drivers...which again, bouncing from distro to distro isn't going to help. Use something easy to learn and install. Again, searching for things is the best place to start...because there is another thread on this site that details how to get Linux Mint graphics working with hardware VERY similar to yours:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...nt-4175602983/
Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakk456
and i was saying that i don't know where to find this in my grub menu

...which you could find if you looked. Again, putting "how to edit grub menu" into Google will tell you exactly that.

deepakk456 08-26-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 5752193)
First, you need to quit bouncing back and forth with distros...either work through your problems or just use Windows and deal with THOSE problems. If you're a new user, you need to get Mint and use it.

You need to disable the "Secure Boot" in your BIOS, and you need to then provide details about your wifi card, such as what chipset its using, which should be in your manual. Putting "linux mint nomodeset" into Google pulls up:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cinnamon.php

The "nomodeset" thing is coming up, because you haven't installed the right video drivers...which again, bouncing from distro to distro isn't going to help. Use something easy to learn and install. Again, searching for things is the best place to start...because there is another thread on this site that details how to get Linux Mint graphics working with hardware VERY similar to yours:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...nt-4175602983/

...which you could find if you looked. Again, putting "how to edit grub menu" into Google will tell you exactly that.



I've installed linux mint 18.2 cinnamon 64-bit
i was getting stuck at the logo so i used nomodeset to get passed that.
Now i cant change my brightness and i think its because of my graphics drivers either they are not installed or they don't support. i'e also looked at the thread u have posted, i didn't get all of that nut i did the same thing in the terminal, may this will help

lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A 12

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Carrizo [1002:9874] (rev ca)
DeviceName: ATI EG BROADWAY
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Carrizo [103c:81fa]
Kernel modules: amdgpu
00:01.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio [1002:9840]
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Kabini HDMI/DP Audio [103c:81fa]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:02.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device [1022:157b]
00:02.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device [1022:157c]
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
Kernel modules: shpchp
00:02.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device [1022:157c]



glxinfo | grep -i vendor

server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.



sudo lshw -C display

*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Carrizo
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
version: ca
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:d2800000-d2ffffff ioport:5000(size=256) memory:d3500000-d353ffff memory:c0000-dffff
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
version: 83
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d01fffff ioport:2000(size=256) memory:d3300000-d333ffff memory:d3340000-d335ffff

Shadow_7 08-26-2017 09:51 PM

I recently got the ba053nr and run debian on it fine (testing / buster for proper GPU support).

There's an ant_sel= parm for the wifi to select which antennae apparently only ONE of two possible is connected (and not the default ofc / =2 in my case). I don't use the nomodeset option. It uses the amdgpu xorg driver, which exists in stretch, but once you try to game, you'll quickly go testing. Short answer if you're trying anything less than the "latest" version of ubuntu, you're probably shooting yourself in the foot. Or looking at a custom kernel, plus compiling the latest xorg from source to get the usability you desire. Or running something like arch to run your intended ubuntu in a vm or chroot.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...op-4175610081/

My little thread on the ba053nr. Not that same as yours, but probably pretty close. I was looking at maybe getting the bw052od from office depot, but oddly "no longer available" despite being the newer of the models "spec's" wise. Most of the same specs except R7 graphics and gigabit ethernet plus ac wireless, and a slightly faster plus next gen CPU.

deepakk456 08-27-2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow_7 (Post 5752374)
I recently got the ba053nr and run debian on it fine (testing / buster for proper GPU support).

There's an ant_sel= parm for the wifi to select which antennae apparently only ONE of two possible is connected (and not the default ofc / =2 in my case). I don't use the nomodeset option. It uses the amdgpu xorg driver, which exists in stretch, but once you try to game, you'll quickly go testing. Short answer if you're trying anything less than the "latest" version of ubuntu, you're probably shooting yourself in the foot. Or looking at a custom kernel, plus compiling the latest xorg from source to get the usability you desire. Or running something like arch to run your intended ubuntu in a vm or chroot.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...op-4175610081/

My little thread on the ba053nr. Not that same as yours, but probably pretty close. I was looking at maybe getting the bw052od from office depot, but oddly "no longer available" despite being the newer of the models "spec's" wise. Most of the same specs except R7 graphics and gigabit ethernet plus ac wireless, and a slightly faster plus next gen CPU.

I didn't get any of that


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.