LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
vanmol
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2020
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Totally Frustrataed


I want very much to leave Windows. I want to switch to Linux but must have a VPN, and there lies the problem. I had and liked PureVPN and just tried CyberGhost but with both I have been unable to configure them on Linux Mint 19.3 Alicia. The biggest problem is that the tutorial directions and my window options do not match. The second issue is the Terminal commands to not work. Not a spelling issue! Does anyone have a good window and linux VPN suggestion that has proven and detailed tutorials for installation? I hate to give up but this has really been a hassle. Frank
 
Old 05-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
sp331yi
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Location: NM
Distribution: antiX 19.2 | Slacko pup | Miyo
Posts: 104

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Does this old thread help?

Searchresults
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,570

Rep: Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349
If you mean a VPN provider for changing the location from which you browse then I've used PIA, which had a GUI interface, and I'm using NordVPN, which only has (an easy to use) command line interface, which both install easily on Debian so should be fine on Mint.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
TheTKS
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2017
Location: The deep south... of Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Xubuntu, OpenBSD, elementary, Puppy, TinyCore
Posts: 137

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Mullvad works for me on Ubuntu and Xubuntu. Instructions on the website are clear. GUI and CLI.

TKS
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,942

Rep: Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363Reputation: 6363
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmol View Post
I want very much to leave Windows. I want to switch to Linux but must have a VPN, and there lies the problem. I had and liked PureVPN and just tried CyberGhost but with both I have been unable to configure them on Linux Mint 19.3 Alicia. The biggest problem is that the tutorial directions and my window options do not match. The second issue is the Terminal commands to not work. Not a spelling issue! Does anyone have a good window and linux VPN suggestion that has proven and detailed tutorials for installation? I hate to give up but this has really been a hassle. Frank
Saying "terminal commands do not work" and "options do not match", tells us next to nothing. Post what you've done/tried and what message(s)/error(s) you get.

I use VPN's with zero problem, and have for years. And did you look at the PureVPN website, where they have step-by-step directions (including a section for Mint):
https://support.purevpn.com/article-...-started/linux
https://support.purevpn.com/setup-guide-for-mint

I'd use OpenVPN on that page. And have you contacted PureVPN support??? Since they support Linux, and you pay for PureVPN...you are also paying for support.

Last edited by TB0ne; 05-30-2020 at 06:45 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
vanmol
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2020
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Saying "terminal commands do not work" and "options do not match", tells us next to nothing. Post what you've done/tried and what message(s)/error(s) you get.

I use VPN's with zero problem, and have for years. And did you look at the PureVPN website, where they have step-by-step directions (including a section for Mint):
https://support.purevpn.com/article-...-started/linux
https://support.purevpn.com/setup-guide-for-mint

I'd use OpenVPN on that page. And have you contacted PureVPN support??? Since they support Linux, and you pay for PureVPN...you are also paying for support.

Alright I have just started a new Tutorial and right away I am stumped. Can you tell me how this is done? "Open a Terminal window and change the directory to the CyberGhost folder to install the CLI app." I tried the command cd cyberghost this is the name of the desktop folder that cyberghost is in. I get the error Not Found.
 
Old 05-31-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,570

Rep: Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349
You can use the command::
Code:
ls
to list the contents of the current directory too what the directory you wish to change to is called. You can also type the first few letters of the directory after the cd command (case sensitive) then press the tab button to auto-complete the name.
 
Old 05-31-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
vanmol
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2020
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
You can use the command::
Code:
ls
to list the contents of the current directory too what the directory you wish to change to is called. You can also type the first few letters of the directory after the cd command (case sensitive) then press the tab button to auto-complete the name.
Thanks for the response but I have been at this for the past 4 days. The install to Windows was very easy but I cannot, after following every tutorial I can find get it installed on my Linux partition. Enough, I just cancelled CyberGhost and got a refund. I will look for another VPN with easier instructions or just go back to PureVpn at a much higher cost. At least their Techs helped with detailed problems and not just direct me back to Tutorials that are not working for me as CyberGhost has done.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
sp331yi
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Location: NM
Distribution: antiX 19.2 | Slacko pup | Miyo
Posts: 104

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
As always -- your choice, OP!
 
Old 05-31-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
Hermani
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2018
Location: Delden, NL
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmol View Post
(..) At least their Techs helped with detailed problems and not just direct me back to Tutorials that are not working for me as CyberGhost has done.
You get what you pay for. Hope you're happy with your VPN now.
 
Old 05-31-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
JJJCR
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,769

Rep: Reputation: 313Reputation: 313Reputation: 313Reputation: 313
@OP have you heard about OpenVPN, it's free but I am not sure whether it meet your needs.
Anyway, here are the links:
- https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resou...er-with-linux/
- https://openvpn.net/community-resour...lling-openvpn/

I think YT, Vimeo or other resources on the web should have good resource as well.

Good luck!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
dc.901
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta, GA - USA
Distribution: CentOS/RHEL, openSuSE/SLES, Ubuntu
Posts: 782

Rep: Reputation: 242Reputation: 242Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmol View Post
Alright I have just started a new Tutorial and right away I am stumped. Can you tell me how this is done? "Open a Terminal window and change the directory to the CyberGhost folder to install the CLI app." I tried the command cd cyberghost this is the name of the desktop folder that cyberghost is in. I get the error Not Found.
Incase if you do not know, Linux is case sensitive. So, CyberGhost is not same is cyberghost...
Only reason I mention this is because in your reply you mention: "cd cyberghost". And as per your tutorial: "Open a Terminal window and change the directory to the CyberGhost folder to install the CLI app."

So, try:
cd CyberGhost
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #13
GPGAgent
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Location: Cornwall UK
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 405

Rep: Reputation: 42
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Saying "terminal commands do not work" and "options do not match", tells us next to nothing. Post what you've done/tried and what message(s)/error(s) you get.

I use VPN's with zero problem, and have for years. And did you look at the PureVPN website, where they have step-by-step directions (including a section for Mint):
https://support.purevpn.com/article-...-started/linux
https://support.purevpn.com/setup-guide-for-mint

I'd use OpenVPN on that page. And have you contacted PureVPN support??? Since they support Linux, and you pay for PureVPN...you are also paying for support.
Thanks for that, those links are very clear and simple
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Totally Hosed Hard Disk Drives NG9671 Linux - Software 9 07-15-2004 06:28 AM
Totally lost... Zander Linux - Newbie 13 07-28-2002 06:25 PM
Huge problem: Slackware 8.1, the file 'crt1.o' is totally missing fern Linux - General 11 07-11-2002 12:15 PM
Help! Totally confused windows convert. raid517 Linux - Newbie 27 02-28-2002 06:08 PM
Totally lost - RH 7.1, apache, php4, postgreSQL setup marktaff Linux - Newbie 1 09-19-2001 03:10 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration