LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
loftus49
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Distribution: Ubuntu, CentOS5, Fedora, Mint
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 18
To serve or not to serve? Create servers?


I've been studying Linux for a number of months and have a kindergarten's grasp of it so far. Perl is at about the same level.

However, I've been collecting PC's with which to install and learn on. I've got Ubuntu Lucid on this one and have two more coming in soon. These machines range for 2-8 Gig ram and have hard drives into terabyte levels.

This raises the question. As part of my learning process, should I create servers out of these machines? If so what; LAMP, email, file, etc.?

Does anyone have any opinions, advice or comment on this?

Duane
 
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
Mr. Majestic
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Distribution: Ubuntu, slackware, fedora, gentoo
Posts: 53

Rep: Reputation: 17
I think the answer to your question depends on what exactly you want to learn. If you are interested in learning servers then I would say that you most definitely should. So if you want to learn web servers set up a LAMP server. If you want to learn mail do a mail server. On the other hand, if you have no rhyme or reason or desire what so ever to learn anything about servers I don't see why you'd bother. I'm the type of guy that always loves learning new things, so I would absolutely explore the realm of using Linux for servers. In the end I would have to say that it's totally up to you though.
 
Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
scheidel21
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: CT
Distribution: Debian 6+, CentOS 5+
Posts: 1,314

Rep: Reputation: 98
I say do it, because you can. And do any and all that you can, if you like to learn.
 
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
sebastien_g
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Majestic View Post
I think the answer to your question depends on what exactly you want to learn. If you are interested in learning servers then I would say that you most definitely should. So if you want to learn web servers set up a LAMP server. If you want to learn mail do a mail server. On the other hand, if you have no rhyme or reason or desire what so ever to learn anything about servers I don't see why you'd bother. I'm the type of guy that always loves learning new things, so I would absolutely explore the realm of using Linux for servers. In the end I would have to say that it's totally up to you though.
I totally agree with Mr. Majestic. It really depends on what you want to learn.
 
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
loftus49
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Distribution: Ubuntu, CentOS5, Fedora, Mint
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien_g View Post
I totally agree with Mr. Majestic. It really depends on what you want to learn.
Thanks for the comments. A little more info. I'm the admin for a virtual server I have at WiredTree (who are terrific). I have 6 domains (people) around the world whom are friends. I slosh thru with cPanel and combined with the great help from tech support I seem to get it done.

But the reason I started learning Linux and Perl was to become more proficient with this and hopefully understand a bit more.

I guess the answer is to set up a LAMP or LAMPP and see what I can learn. Same for the mail server.

Any suggestions on how to get started?
 
Old 07-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 4,064

Rep: Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftus49 View Post
I have 6 domains (people) around the world whom are friends. I slosh thru with cPanel and combined with the great help from tech support I seem to get it done.
Well, I have a suggestion for you (broadly agreeing with the Mr Majestic approach of letting what you have to do guide you); in that situation you need, or nearly need, a test/development server for trying stuff out before you roll it out. Why not set that as an objective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftus49 View Post
I guess the answer is to set up a LAMP or LAMPP and see what I can learn. Same for the mail server.
Setting up a LAMP server can be trivial (and that's not the same as doing it correctly, necessarily) and that may not stretch you enough. You should also think about ensuring that it is secure, something which may not be strictly necessary, if the test server is firewalled off from the wider world and the situation on the local network is non-hostile.
 
Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
loftus49
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Distribution: Ubuntu, CentOS5, Fedora, Mint
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
Well, I have a suggestion for you (broadly agreeing with the Mr Majestic approach of letting what you have to do guide you); in that situation you need, or nearly need, a test/development server for trying stuff out before you roll it out. Why not set that as an objective?
...
Thanks. An objective of a test/development server makes sense and gives me a raison d'tra to proceed.

Now, I need to figure out how to proceed. Don't be surprised if I am back up here with specific questions (on the Server forum).

Thanks to all for your comments.
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
joec@home
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Galveston Tx
Posts: 291

Rep: Reputation: 70
As you mentioned cPanel, that has some extra special concerns which still fall in line with Linux but it has its own quirks to deal with as compared to a basic LAMP server. If you install a basic Linux install you can then download cPanel and run a single instance of a domain with out buying license which would make a good test server. I also have a few links which would be useful to anyone learning to manage a cPanel server.

Tons of WHM / cPanel Tutorials
http://www.webhostgear.com/cid_4.html

cPanel General Maintenance, PERL CPAN YUM and other fun
http://forums.theplanet.com/index.php?showtopic=92035

cPanel User Ownership Conflicts
http://forums.theplanet.com/index.php?showtopic=92244
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,406

Rep: Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396
If you want a test/dev system at home so you can get better at adminning your hosted system, get the same distro and version. It'll save confusion.
After that, pick one service at a time and learn how to do it well.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
loftus49
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Distribution: Ubuntu, CentOS5, Fedora, Mint
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
If you want a test/dev system at home so you can get better at adminning your hosted system, get the same distro and version. It'll save confusion.
After that, pick one service at a time and learn how to do it well.
That makes good sense. Thanks.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,406

Rep: Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396Reputation: 2396
anytime
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-Mail server discussion, to serve or not to serve? gankoji Linux - Server 8 08-05-2009 10:13 AM
Looking to serve - A/V 4ng3ls Linux - Software 2 09-21-2008 06:09 AM
Serve Media with MediaTomb jeremy LQ Articles Discussion 0 09-07-2007 03:39 PM
To Serve or Not To Serve justanothersteve Linux - General 3 09-15-2006 09:13 PM
how to serve dhcp ruwach Linux - Software 2 12-11-2004 01:59 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration