LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
dch
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
System storage device full?


Hello,
I'm a very new linux user and am still trying to get to grips with it so please bear with me.

I go into disk utility and it tells me that my system storage device is full, firstly what is the system storage device? I go into file manager then open all file systems to find 3 directories two of which, /ro & /, are full? Full with what?

I am having problems setting up a 3G vodaphone dongle and fear that these directories maybe responcible

What are they and if I need to delete something what & how?

Thank you
David
 
Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,074

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
I don't know what the "disk utility" might be. Can you please open a terminal (xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole or anything similar), type these two commands and paste here the output?

Code:
$ df
$ df -i
That will tell us if your drives are indeed full or the problem is elsewhere.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
dch
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
I don't know what the "disk utility" might be. Can you please open a terminal (xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole or anything similar), type these two commands and paste here the output?

Code:
$ df
$ df -i
That will tell us if your drives are indeed full or the problem is elsewhere.
Thank you for the responce . Disk utility is under the menu heading "settings" As to your reply sorry but I do not know what the words you use mean!
 
Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,074

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch View Post
Thank you for the responce . Disk utility is under the menu heading "settings" As to your reply sorry but I do not know what the words you use mean!
Problem is that these graphics tools are different across different Linux distros, and I don't even know which one you are using.

The basic command line tools on the contrary are pretty much standard and consistent, and additionally, they offer plain-text output, which means that it's damn easy to paste the information here. Your graphical tools might be nice, but only you can see them, and that doesn't help us to help you.

What I meant above is that you need to open a terminal emulator window. It's a place where you can write commands, you know, that little window with usually a black background (though it depends on how it's configured) where you can type meaningless stuff.

Common terminal emulators are xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole, eterm, rxvt, terminal, kuake... There are many more, and you should be able to locate one of many of them in your desktop menu. Once you have done that, write "df" in that window, and press enter. Paste the output here. Then repeat for "df -i".

Last edited by i92guboj; 09-30-2009 at 02:09 PM.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
dch
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
Problem is that these graphics tools are different across different Linux distros, and I don't even know which one you are using.

The basic command line tools on the contrary are pretty much standard and consistent, and additionally, they offer plain-text output, which means that it's damn easy to paste the information here. Your graphical tools might be nice, but only you can see them, and that doesn't help us to help you.

What I meant above is that you need to open a terminal emulator window. It's a place where you can write commands, you know, that little window with usually a black background (though it depends on how it's configured) where you can type meaningless stuff.

Common terminal emulators are xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole, eterm, rxvt, terminal, kuake... There are many more, and you should be able to locate one of many of them in your desktop menu. Once you have done that, write "df" in that window, and press enter. Paste the output here. Then repeat for "df -i".
Ah okay I understand. I've gone through the manual and it does not tell me how to get to a blank screen...... do you know?

David
 
Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,074

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
Do you know what distribution are you running? If not try to describe how did you get it installed, did it come with your box? Are you sure it's Linux at all? Are you in a desktop environment? If you you should really see a menu, and there must be a terminal emulator somewhere in there.

It's hard to give you any hint about how to use something without even knowing what that "something" is.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
dch
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
Do you know what distribution are you running? If not try to describe how did you get it installed, did it come with your box? Are you sure it's Linux at all? Are you in a desktop environment? If you you should really see a menu, and there must be a terminal emulator somewhere in there.

It's hard to give you any hint about how to use something without even knowing what that "something" is.
I'm using an Asus Eee pc 901 preloaded with linux version 1.6.0.104
 
Old 09-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
rysiekmus2
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Distribution: Sabayon
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: 17
Asus linux

On Wikipedia I found the Linux Asus is using:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
The Linux version of the Eee PC runs a custom tab-based interface and uses IceWM as the default window manager...
I then says : pre-installed Xandros operating system
This is also on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros
Looks like Debian.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
rysiekmus2
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Distribution: Sabayon
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch View Post
I'm using an Asus Eee pc 901 preloaded with linux version 1.6.0.104
Can you find something like Terminal in the "Start menu -> System" ?
 
Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
dch
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysiekmus2 View Post
Can you find something like Terminal in the "Start menu -> System" ?

Thanks for the imput. Unfortunately there is no start menu etc.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,074

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
Ugh, I really hate those dumbed-down OSes.

Do you have any means to run a command? Is there a "run command" or "launch something" icon around or something similar? Does alt+f2 bring up any dialog to run command? I wonder why they think this kind of interface makes Linux more usable, they obviously do not. I'll try to find a manual for this critter so I know what can be done and what can't be done.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
SharpyWarpy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Fedora 18
Posts: 862

Rep: Reputation: 90
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I think you should find someone to install another Linux distribution on that computer. Someone who is familiar with Linux. That way maybe you will have something that is more newbie friendly and you can learn how to use it quicker.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
nigelc
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Mageia 6
Posts: 354
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 63
Hi,
I think it's something like "CTRL ALT T"
 
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #14
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,074

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
The only manuals I've found so far as for the WinXP version. I have no idea about what kind of interface that thing has by default. I agree that your best bet, if you can't find your way around with the manual, is to find someone knowledgeable who can physically see what's going on, and maybe install something that's really usable in place of that cell-phone-like interface.
 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #15
Lordandmaker
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 258

Rep: Reputation: 38
Work -> File Manager -> Tools -> Open Console Window

should give you Konsole, which is a terminal emulator.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to use an ExpressCard SSD device as the boot and system storage device CharlieBucket Linux - Hardware 1 03-22-2011 12:17 AM
Detect storage device by checking mounted file system to Linux syseeker Programming 4 02-06-2006 11:14 AM
Assign one USB-storage device to one device file Misel Linux - Hardware 1 08-28-2004 04:52 AM
USB mass storage device file system shariqali Linux - Hardware 1 02-19-2004 11:31 AM
how can I mount this device: da0: <USB 2.0 Storage Device alkad_mzu *BSD 2 11-15-2003 07:15 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration