LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   switch back to Linux from Ubuntu 14.04 (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/switch-back-to-linux-from-ubuntu-14-04-a-4175509889/)

rayratliff 07-02-2014 01:30 PM

switch back to Linux from Ubuntu 14.04
 
I cannot get Ubuntu 14.04 to connect to the internet. Even after months of advice and trying. I have a Acer One which originally had Windows 7. I loaded Ubuntu 14.04 from a USB thumb drive and everything works except the internet connection.
Much advice has been given but my knowledge of Unix based systems is very basic.
I need someone who can explain in layman terms what steps to take and how to take the steps to make the connection.

OR, should I download the latest version of Linux and load it up?

I can be reached by email (at rayratliff@gmail.com) or by phone (208 867 4619)
The forums have too many experts.....

Thanks for any help.

NGIB 07-02-2014 01:48 PM

Ubuntu is Linux. Are you trying to use a wired connection or wireless? I suspect wireless and there are issues with many of the wireless NICs in all brands of Linux. Broadcomm cards seem to be the worst offender. If you can post the output of "inxi -F" (run it in a terminal) it will allow us all to see the hardware in your computer.

I wouldn't put my email or phone number in an open forum...

suicidaleggroll 07-02-2014 01:50 PM

Ubuntu is Linux (to be specific, Ubuntu is one of the many available distributions of Linux), so I don't understand the fundamental question. You want to switch from Ubuntu to...another distribution? Which one?

As for the network connection, if you provide the problems you're running into, steps you've taken, errors you've encountered, etc. we can look into the underlying problem and perhaps get it fixed.

If you're just done with Ubuntu, that's fine (and very understandable), and there are many other options to choose from. You might want to start by downloading the ISO files for a few different distributions and trying them out to see which ones you like and which ones you don't. Most distributions can run in live mode, which means no installation is required, just put it on a CD/DVD/USB, boot it up, and see how you like it.

rayratliff 07-02-2014 02:13 PM

Ubuntu/Linux
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 5197497)
Ubuntu is Linux. Are you trying to use a wired connection or wireless? I suspect wireless and there are issues with many of the wireless NICs in all brands of Linux. Broadcomm cards seem to be the worst offender. If you can post the output of "inxi -F" (run it in a terminal) it will allow us all to see the hardware in your computer.

I wouldn't put my email or phone number in an open forum...

I realize that Unix is the underlying language for Ubuntu and Linux and many more.
My problem is why can I not load a new version of Ubuntu onto a thumb drive and plug it into the PC and follow the steps and have it work properly? I have loaded Linux Mint and had it work just fine. Ubuntu was not easy, I do not want to go through the terminal to load anything else to make it work, I get confused and lost by all that. I can follow simple directions but I am not able to follow steps that confuse me.
When I get errors I cannot put them into the forum or remember them.
Yours Truly,
Ray

schneidz 07-02-2014 02:18 PM

then i would just stick with linux-mint since you like it (or am i missing something) ?

rayratliff 07-02-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneidz (Post 5197520)
then i would just stick with linux-mint since you like it (or am i missing something) ?

I do not have the latest version of Linux Mint...but I like Ubuntu and would like to use it.

rokyo 07-02-2014 02:30 PM

Does your Acer One have a Broadcom wireless card? I had a One once and always had problems with wireless under Linux because of the Broadcom chipset. But these problems vanished around the time the kernel reached version 3.2, so it shouldn't be an issue with Ubuntu 14.04... :/

Also, if it works under an older version of Mint, I'm not sure it's a driver problem.

273 07-02-2014 02:37 PM

If Mint works but Ubuntu doesn't it suggests to me that there is a non-free wireless driver included in Mint that Ubuntu doesn't install by default. If you can connect to the internet through a network cable with Ubuntu you can likely remedy that fairly easily.
If you run the following under Mint or Ubuntu and let us know the output it may help:
Code:

sudo lspci
Now, that is assuming that you are trying to connect to the internet wit ha built-in wireless card if that isn't the case please explain further how you connect to the internet.

Germany_chris 07-02-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayratliff (Post 5197486)
I cannot get Ubuntu 14.04 to connect to the internet. Even after months of advice and trying. I have a Acer One which originally had Windows 7. I loaded Ubuntu 14.04 from a USB thumb drive and everything works except the internet connection.
Much advice has been given but my knowledge of Unix based systems is very basic.
I need someone who can explain in layman terms what steps to take and how to take the steps to make the connection.

OR, should I download the latest version of Linux and load it up?

The forums have too many experts.....

Thanks for any help.

It's a really bad idea to post email and phone numbers on public forums REALLY BAD

JeremyBoden 07-02-2014 03:10 PM

Mint uses most of the same packages as Ubuntu but adds a much improved user interface.
At least you won't have to put up with Ubuntu's horrible unity GUI.

rayratliff 07-02-2014 03:46 PM

?
 
how do I reply to 273
I am confused as to this forum setup

rayratliff 07-02-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 5197528)
If Mint works but Ubuntu doesn't it suggests to me that there is a non-free wireless driver included in Mint that Ubuntu doesn't install by default. If you can connect to the internet through a network cable with Ubuntu you can likely remedy that fairly easily.
If you run the following under Mint or Ubuntu and let us know the output it may help:
Code:

sudo lspci
Now, that is assuming that you are trying to connect to the internet wit ha built-in wireless card if that isn't the case please explain further how you connect to the internet.

I have finally gotten a terminal and now how do I get the output to you. I am on the Mac now doing the forum..

273 07-02-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayratliff (Post 5197576)
how do I reply to 273
I am confused as to this forum setup

Either hit the Quote button to quote me and type after the tags or just mention my name or reply to my questions in such a way it is obvious that is what you are doing.

273 07-02-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayratliff (Post 5197577)
I have finally gotten a terminal and now how do I get the output to you. I am on the Mac now doing the forum..

I suggest hitting quote then typing something and hitting the # symbol to get code tags to put your output between.

rayratliff 07-02-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 5197578)
Either hit the Quote button to quote me and type after the tags or just mention my name or reply to my questions in such a way it is obvious that is what you are doing.

some of the 1spci output is 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. Mobile 945GSE Express memory controller Hub (Rev.03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller Intel Corp. mobile 945 GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
I have no idea which ones are important but there are many more...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.