LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Starting with linux (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/starting-with-linux-4175488284/)

LIJO MATHAI 03-31-2013 10:52 AM

Beginer guide for linux.
 
Hi,i am fresh towards linux am willing to learn linux.so pls tell me which book should i prefer from market for having a good basic.

shivaa 03-31-2013 11:32 AM

Hello and Welcome to LQ forum!

You can follow these guuides:
1. Introduction to Linux
2. Linux on the Road
3. Bash Guide for Beginners

You can download PDF versions for these guides from http://www.tldp.org/guides.html.

JWJones 03-31-2013 11:57 AM

Some more good stuff:

http://brunolinux.com/

More advanced, for later perhaps:

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

LIJO MATHAI 12-17-2013 07:27 AM

Starting with linux
 
Hi Friends,
I am new to Linux and am interested in learning it right from the basic.Can i get a good and easy video tutorials for learning Linux and having a good base in it.

Rgds,

ac_kumar 12-17-2013 07:48 AM

Hi welcome to the world of Linux.
Tell me for what purpose you want to learn Linux, I mean for administration, Programming or just for casual purpose.

onebuck 12-17-2013 08:16 AM

Member Response
 
Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIJO MATHAI (Post 5082247)
Hi Friends,
I am new to Linux and am interested in learning it right from the basic.Can i get a good and easy video tutorials for learning Linux and having a good base in it.

Rgds,

I like to provide this to new users;
Quote:

Just a few links to aid you to gaining some understanding;



1
Linux Documentation Project
2
Rute Tutorial & Exposition
3
Linux Command Guide
4
Bash Beginners Guide
5
Bash Reference Manual
6
Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
7
Linux Newbie Admin Guide
8
LinuxSelfHelp
9
Ultimate Linux Newbie Guide
10
Linux Home Networking
11
Virtualization- Top 10

The above links and others can be found at '
Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
Hope this helps. :)

Ztcoracat 12-18-2013 12:23 AM

Hi:

If you like to read these are pretty good books to learn from.

-The Ubuntu Linux Bible
- Red Hat Linux Bible

If you don't want to purchase those books your local library may have to borrow.

http://debian-handbook.info/

http://www.youtube.com/user/nixiedoeslinux

Best wishes to you learning Linux!

LIJO MATHAI 12-18-2013 12:47 AM

Starting with Linux
 
I need to have a good basic for linux and am looking for linux DB and security.
Pls provide me the video tutorials link as video clip makes concept understand better.

Rgds

unSpawn 12-18-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIJO MATHAI (Post 5082992)
I need to have a good basic for linux and am looking for linux DB and security.

So far you've created two "starting with RHCE" threads and two "starting with Linux" threads. In my humble opinion you should start with Linux user basics (RHEL and CentOS do come with proper documentation) and only after you understand those Linux admin basics. Most importantly understand there's no shortcut for gaining knowledge: reading and practicing is what works.


Quote:

Originally Posted by LIJO MATHAI (Post 5082992)
Pls provide me the video tutorials link as video clip makes concept understand better.

With all due respect but no. Video tutorials may be all the rage but they won't help if you don't understand Linux basics and they won't bail you out when you need the quick fix you get from manual pages and other standard documentation.

Spect73 12-18-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unSpawn (Post 5083049)
So far you've created two "starting with RHCE" threads and two "starting with Linux" threads. In my humble opinion you should start with Linux user basics (RHEL and CentOS do come with proper documentation) and only after you understand those Linux admin basics. Most importantly understand there's no shortcut for gaining knowledge: reading and practicing is what works.



With all due respect but no. Video tutorials may be all the rage but they won't help if you don't understand Linux basics and they won't bail you out when you need the quick fix you get from manual pages and other standard documentation.

Well spoken.

maples 12-18-2013 07:37 PM

If you're still looking for a distro to use, you might want to take a look at Lubuntu. It's a pretty lightweight UI if you have older hardware.

NOTE: you will most likely need a DVD, the ISO doesn't completely fit on any CDs I have.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.