LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
.nu
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: Slackware 10.2
Posts: 60

Rep: Reputation: 15
Some basic noobie questions


So now that i got a fully functional linux working, ive been exploring it. I'm using Suse 10.1.

Anyways, what is the difference between Konsole and Terminal? They seem like the same thing to me.


Also, Desktop Environment and windowmanager. I thought they were the same thing, but apparently not. I try to run fluxbox under gnome, and it says another appliction is using the X server (or a message similar to that).


Can someone enlighten me?
 
Old 05-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
pljvaldez
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)
Posts: 6,094

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
Konsole and xterm are basically two different programs that do the same thing (give you a bash shell). Kinda like how Internet Explorer and Firefox are both web browsers. Each has different options/features/etc that some people prefer. When people are talking to you about terminal, they're generally talking about a command prompt, whether it is xterm, eterm, aterm, or konsole.

Desktop Environment and Window manager are different things. A window manager is the specific program that manipulates windows and allows you to have gui programs. It lets you resize boxes and move around each window. (I'm sure it's really more complicated than that, but stick with me. ) I believe KDE's window manager is called kwin.

Desktop Environments are the whole kitchen sink and include other programs that allow you to have icons on the desktop, a task bar, applets for network interfaces, etc. Fluxbox is just a window manager, but you can add on other programs like rox-filer to allow desktop icons, taskbars, etc and make it act like a Desktop.

I wouldn't be surprised if you hunted through the config files, you might even be able to make KDE use fluxbox as it's default window manager, but I might be wrong since there's so much integration of programs on a Desktop environment.
 
Old 05-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
.nu
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: Slackware 10.2
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez
Konsole and xterm are basically two different programs that do the same thing (give you a bash shell). Kinda like how Internet Explorer and Firefox are both web browsers. Each has different options/features/etc that some people prefer. When people are talking to you about terminal, they're generally talking about a command prompt, whether it is xterm, eterm, aterm, or konsole.

Desktop Environment and Window manager are different things. A window manager is the specific program that manipulates windows and allows you to have gui programs. It lets you resize boxes and move around each window. (I'm sure it's really more complicated than that, but stick with me. ) I believe KDE's window manager is called kwin.

Desktop Environments are the whole kitchen sink and include other programs that allow you to have icons on the desktop, a task bar, applets for network interfaces, etc. Fluxbox is just a window manager, but you can add on other programs like rox-filer to allow desktop icons, taskbars, etc and make it act like a Desktop.

I wouldn't be surprised if you hunted through the config files, you might even be able to make KDE use fluxbox as it's default window manager, but I might be wrong since there's so much integration of programs on a Desktop environment.
Oh. I use Gnome.
How do i find out which Window manager it uses? I'd like to try fluxbox
 
Old 05-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
pljvaldez
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)
Posts: 6,094

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
You actually should be able to install fluxbox. Then logout and on the gdm (graphical) login screen there should be something that says "Sessions". Fluxbox should be in the drop down list once it is installed.

Try getting the rpm here.

Last edited by pljvaldez; 05-22-2006 at 03:40 PM.
 
Old 05-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
.nu
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: Slackware 10.2
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez
You actually should be able to install fluxbox. Then logout and on the gdm (graphical) login screen there should be something that says "Sessions". Fluxbox should be in the drop down list once it is installed.

Try getting the rpm here.

Thank you. Ill go try.
 
Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #6
.nu
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: Slackware 10.2
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
aw didn't work. i don't see it on the list.
On a side note, does anyone which windowmanager this is:
http://ficti0n.com/stuff/images/screenshots/big6.jpg

Also, if i'm logged in as root, and wanna install programs so every sub user can use, how where do i install it? Or do i have to do it differently for each user?
 
Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
truthfatal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Distribution: Raspbian, Debian, Slackware, OS X
Posts: 443
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
On a side note, does anyone which windowmanager this is:
http://ficti0n.com/stuff/images/screenshots/big6.jpg
It's kind of hard to tell on a heavily themed desktop. but to me that kind of looks like the Xfce Desktop Environment (with the Xfwm Windowmanager and one of it's included themes).

Last edited by truthfatal; 05-23-2006 at 09:41 AM.
 
Old 05-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #8
.nu
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Distribution: Slackware 10.2
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks. Looks pretty neat.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a few noobie questions tEh Bsq Linux - Newbie 3 03-22-2006 08:13 PM
A few noobie questions ! Dark Chibi Linux - Games 2 12-09-2005 08:25 AM
Noobie Questions (Sorry) Tomlewis007 Slackware 2 03-11-2004 07:12 AM
A few noobie questions rjpa Mandriva 1 02-10-2004 07:24 AM
some very basic noobie questions! theseeker Linux - General 22 12-23-2002 06:21 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration