LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Server admin passed away... Help! (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/server-admin-passed-away-help-4175602584/)

Jay1969 03-26-2017 02:51 PM

Server admin passed away... Help!
 
Hi Guys,

I hope this is the right section to post this. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

About a year ago, our small business expanded and we asked a friend of ours to set up our server. That person passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago and we can no longer ask for his guidance/technical support to manage the server.

To keep costs to a minimum, our friend decided to use a Linux configuration and virtualize the server in order to add another virtual server who would be isolated from the first one so we can install a consultation software on the second server. ProxMox is being used as a virtualization engine.

I have all the passcodes to enter the ProxMox interface and was using the built-in backup feature to create snapshots of the server state. Last week, I did try to run a new back-up and the server crashed. I read that the crash could be linked to an overnumber of backups. I did delete a few of them, started the backup function and it crashed again.

If my memory serves me well, there are 2 data drives in RAID (is that it, RAID?) and 2 OS drives also in RAID, formatted Linux (that is all I know).

I can access the WIN2012 dashboard and console through RDC but cannot see, as you well know, the Linux Drives of copy their content.

I am not even able to get a hardware system report. I tried booting on a True Image 2013 CD I have and use to manage the Windows computers on the network. I am at a loss here and do not understand shoot about Linux File system nor ProxMox. I chose UEFI in the BIOS settings without any luck.

First, I would like to get the VM snapshots (.vma/.vma.lzo) out of the server and get them on an offsite, external HDD. I do not even know how to do that, I have read about CloneZilla, but it seems to work with [Linux] line commands. Again, at a complete loss here. It is my understanding that I will need to format the XHDD to a Linux File format. Which?

Second, I would like to understand why the server is crashing when doing a backup.

Third, I would like to get a hardware system report since we are considering buying a new piece of equipment and migrate on to a VMWare/Windows file system architecture. Support for Linux on the web seems to be very limited and, I suppose it is because I do not know a single thing about Linux, it seems very complex to me.

Where should I start? Any advices or tips? Is there a crash course tutorial that would help me understand how this whole gig works? Please respond to this thread. I desperately need help.

Thanks a million,

Jay

wpeckham 03-27-2017 08:20 AM

You did not mention what continent, country, or city you might be in. ( I think I can assume the planet, etc. ;-) )
If someone good is local to you, that would be an advantage, but we cannto tell from what you posted.

Rickkkk 03-27-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpeckham (Post 5688753)
You did not mention what continent, country, or city you might be in. ( I think I can assume the planet, etc. ;-) )
If someone good is local to you, that would be an advantage, but we cannto tell from what you posted.

Jay1969,

Similarly to wpeckham above, the best advice I can think of given your situation is to find a local resource familiar with linux to come and troubleshoot on site. You have many questions and if a small business depends on this system, I wouldn't take any chances. Your setup, although not necessarily unusual, is unique to your business's situation and troubleshooting this from a distance is not optimal in my opinion.

Best -

Jay1969 03-27-2017 09:45 AM

We are based near Montreal, Canada. Any ideas on where/how I can find a tech? I already looked on the net with no luck!

Rickkkk 03-27-2017 09:56 AM

Jay1969 - I'm in Montreal - I can try and dig around and see if I come up with something. In the meantime, you might try looking to see if there is a local linux user group.

Out of curiosity - you mention both Windows 2012 (Server, I assume) and linux.

- Can you explain a bit more about how this is set up on the server ? What is the physical host OS and what OS is being virtualized ?

- What linux distro are you using ?

Rick

Jay1969 03-27-2017 10:04 AM

Thanks for your time, Rickkkk.

When the physical server boots, it launches ProxMox which then powers a Win2012 Server Essentials VM.

I am not sure where/how I can find the distro for you... Let me know what I need to do to get you this info.

Rickkkk 03-27-2017 10:05 AM

Jay1969 ... I found the Montreal Linux Users Group at http://mlug.ca

I am not active there, but the members may be able to suggest a locally based resource.

Rick

Jay1969 03-27-2017 10:07 AM

Thanks, much appreciated!

Rickkkk 03-27-2017 10:16 AM

Hey Jay1969 ..

I'm unfamiliar with ProxMox - but I just read up a bit on it. It's a linux-based virtualization environment that can be installed on top of Debian or as a bare-metal hypervisor (based on, again, Debian ...). It's virtualization engine is KVM/QEMU.

Given this specificity - it would be optimal if you could find a person familiar with ProxMox in order to minimize uncertainty. Let us know if you have no success, and I and other members here will do our best to assist you (maybe we have some folks here familiar with ProxMox ... ? ...). Again, however, since a business is depending on this system, it would be best if you get someone over there that has the right profile to take a look at it in person.

Let us know how you're doing ...

Jay1969 03-27-2017 10:18 AM

I will. If it is of any help, in our setup PM is used as a bare-metal hypervisor. Thanks again!

Rickkkk 03-27-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5688802)
I will. If it is of any help, in our setup PM is used as a bare-metal hypervisor. Thanks again!

OK - if you run into a dead end, get back to us. Even if there are no PM-knowledgeable members here, we might be able to help you out since it's Debian-based.

Just for clarity, priority-wise, what are your most urgent objectives ? This will also help the on-site resource, should you find one ...

Jay1969 03-27-2017 10:32 AM

1- I need to get the VMs out of there and back them up to 1 or 2 XHDDs to prepare for disaster recovery. I can live with the backups I have for now.
2- Understand how I can (and succeed) in transferring the VMs to another computer, i.e. install ProxMox on another computer, import the VMs to this new machine and reboot the virtual server on this new machine. In other words, migrate the virtual WIN2012 server and config to a new hardware.

Luckily, I am a fast learner. :)

Rickkkk 03-27-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5688806)
1- I need to get the VMs out of there and back them up to 1 or 2 XHDDs to prepare for disaster recovery. I can live with the backups I have for now.
2- Understand how I can (and succeed) in transferring the VMs to another computer, i.e. install ProxMox on another computer, import the VMs to this new machine and reboot the virtual server on this new machine. In other words, migrate the virtual WIN2012 server and config to a new hardware.

Luckily, I am a fast learner. :)

lol ... Excellent ... Copying the VMs shouldn't be complicated. You could even easily do that from the command line, I'd guess. I've only briefly experimented with QEMU/KVM (I regularly use Virtualbox), but from memory VM files usually have .qcow or .qcow2 file name extensions. Importing VMs into a new installation of QEMU/KVM is fairly simple natively - I imagine it must be similarly easy under PM.

There seems to be good online documentation for PM, by the way. Found this, amongst other sections of their wiki:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu/KVM_Virtual_Machines


... Rick

riahc3 03-27-2017 10:49 AM

You might want to head to http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin There are people there that will get you out of the pickle you are in.

Having said that, I like others suggest you hire some professional help; Its not we dont trust you but if your business depends on it.

Jay1969 03-27-2017 10:50 AM

Appreciate the documentation, Rick. The thing is I am not even sure how to get these files on an external HD. I have an old 500GB that I could reformat to a Linux-recognizable file system (can you recommend anything?)... Then, do I boot on Linux live CD link Knoppix? And (this is where I am at sea) how can I get to understand and use the command lines. I miss the Windows GUI in times like these...

Jay1969 03-27-2017 10:58 AM

Thanks for your input, riahc3. I do not intend to fix something that is not broken. I just want to take reasonable measures and find ways to avoid a complete mess should this device decide it stops booting tomorrow. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Rickkkk 03-27-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5688817)
Appreciate the documentation, Rick. The thing is I am not even sure how to get these files on an external HD. I have an old 500GB that I could reformat to a Linux-recognizable file system (can you recommend anything?)... Then, do I boot on Linux live CD link Knoppix? And (this is where I am at sea) how can I get to understand and use the command lines. I miss the Windows GUI in times like these...

Hey Jay ... you wouldn't need to format your external HDD with a linux file-system, unless your PM/Debian server has no ntfs module (ntfs-3g). Even if that's the case, you can install ntfs-3g.

You can also format your hard drive as ext4 if required - I could suggest the easiest ways if you want to go that route.

As far as booting a live ISO to do what you want to do - you could, but you could probably just use the existing system as it is. If you are unfamiliar with the PM interface, the command line should let you do what you need to, as long as you have to appropriate user codes and passwords. Again, if you decide to try this, let us know.

In the end, you CAN boot a live ISO to copy stuff from the server. It may be less intuitive, but possible.

A suggestion - if you DO start troubleshooting this yourself - a complete backup of the server is probably a good idea beforehand. You mentioned Clonezilla - this is a good option - you can create images with that and store them on another media. Or perhaps your server already has some kind of backup system, other than the VM snapshot utility you already described ?

Jay1969 03-27-2017 11:10 AM

Rick, I do want to format the XHD as ext4 partition. What methods to you have in mind?

No other backups beside the built-in engine in ProxMox (which crashes when I attempt to create a fresh image, as I mentioned earlier). I need to get these snapshots out of there ASAP and copy them on external supports.

Before attempting anything, I will look into Clonezilla and find ways to clone the VM hd to an XHDD.

It is a nice Saturday morning project! :D

AB49K 03-27-2017 11:27 AM

The most common filesystems should work like ext3. I'd recommend running a check on that HDD before trusting it with your data. running a program like badblocks should help with that.

As for take a quick backup of the disks, open your proxmox console of the vhost that has the running VM's, first you're going to want to make sure the VM's shut down for obvious reasons.

mount the disk as usual, the VM files are located at "/var/lib/vz/images/<VM ID>"

Then use a tool such as rsync (It should be already installed on the proxmox box), rsync is good because it does checksums of copied data. meaning no possible corruption from the copy.

so just throw a quick "rsync -avc /var/lib/vz/images/ /mnt/backup --progress" and watch the copy happen, just umount the drive before pulling it out.


An Alternative can be to mount the disk like before, but then under the datacentre -> storage tab on the web interface you can add a new storage block, then use the built in backup utility to run the backups.


If you need any more information feel free to PM. I mostly specialise in VMWare but I have personal experience with my proxmox server.

Jay1969 03-27-2017 11:31 AM

Thanks very, very much AB49K. I will look into this. Your thoughts are mostly appreciated.

Rickkkk 03-27-2017 11:38 AM

Jay - AB49K above has ProxMox experience - you're in luck :-)

I would definitely take him up on his offer to help.

Formatting your external HD to ext3 or 4 can be done various ways : using the linux server itself or an easy way from any other computer, use a GParted live ISO CD.

Let us know how it goes !

AB49K 03-27-2017 11:43 AM

I'd personally avoid doing any kind of disk formatting on a VM host. Accidental fat fingers can mean you have a really bad day.:)

Jay1969 03-27-2017 11:45 AM

Sir, yes, sir! Understood! :thumbsup:

Jay1969 03-31-2017 02:11 PM

Further to the conservation above, I was able to successfully clone one of the HDD on which Proxmox (PM) and the VMs reside. I then used one of the old computers and a spare HDD to restore the Clonezilla image.

I can reasonably assume it worked since I formatted the HDD prior to restoring the image. When Clonezilla finished his job, computer booted PM without any problems. Darn good news!

I was then presented with the PM command line interface. PM advised using a browser and log to the server’s IP address to manage the VMs, i.e. https://AAA.BB.CC.DD:8006/. I am used to this since this is how I reboot/shutdown the VM.

I then punched in my credentials and PM advised that it could not communicate with the UPS, which is normal since it is a new hardware in a new setup. It all leads me to believe that the restoration was perfect.

Now the tricky part is that I cannot—in my view—get the Clonezilla-restored server online since it uses the same IP address as our actual server—which is still online.

To circumvent this, I directly hooked my laptop to the Clonezilla-restored server using an Ethernet cable. I did not use any router, etc. Still, I cannot access the PM GUI. I am lost here. I am sure it is a silly little setting that keeps me from accessing PM’s GUI.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Rickkkk 03-31-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5690960)
Further to the conservation above, I was able to successfully clone one of the HDD on which Proxmox (PM) and the VMs reside. I then used one of the old computers and a spare HDD to restore the Clonezilla image.

I can reasonably assume it worked since I formatted the HDD prior to restoring the image. When Clonezilla finished his job, computer booted PM without any problems. Darn good news!

I was then presented with the PM command line interface. PM advised using a browser and log to the server’s IP address to manage the VMs, i.e. https://AAA.BB.CC.DD:8006/. I am used to this since this is how I reboot/shutdown the VM.

I then punched in my credentials and PM advised that it could not communicate with the UPS, which is normal since it is a new hardware in a new setup. It all leads me to believe that the restoration was perfect.

Now the tricky part is that I cannot—in my view—get the Clonezilla-restored server online since it uses the same IP address as our actual server—which is still online.

To circumvent this, I directly hooked my laptop to the Clonezilla-restored server using an Ethernet cable. I did not use any router, etc. Still, I cannot access the PM GUI. I am lost here. I am sure it is a silly little setting that keeps me from accessing PM’s GUI.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I could suggest ways for you to use a distinct, static IP address for the 2nd machine, but I believe it would be preferable to wait for advice from member AB49K, who is familiar with your main application - ProxMox.

Good to hear you've come this far, though - congrats !

Jay1969 03-31-2017 05:06 PM

@AB49K @Rickkkk I just browsed the cloned HDD's structure and cannot find the VM files, which are supposed to be located at "/var/lib/vz/images/<VM ID>" — There is no 'vz' folder... No wonder why the virtual server won't start.

My guess is that the parameters were tweaked in order to store the VMs on the data drives (Disk 3&4), which I didn't clone (4TB).

Disk1-OS
Disk2-OS (RAID)
Disk3-DATA
Disk4-DATA (RAID)

If I do clone the 4TB, I am gonna have a problem trying to restore the image since Clonezilla needs a target drive as big or bigger than the source. I do not have such a drive on hands.

Should I try to extract the VMs from the 4TB through copy/paste booting on a Knoppix Live and saving the /var/lib/vz/images folder to an external HDD? Do I need to create a special partition/format the HDD to ext3 to accept the VMs?

Any thoughts?

Rickkkk 03-31-2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5691026)
@AB49K @Rickkkk I just browsed the cloned HDD's structure and cannot find the VM files, which are supposed to be located at "/var/lib/vz/images/<VM ID>" — There is no 'vz' folder... No wonder why the virtual server won't start.

My guess is that the parameters were tweaked in order to store the VMs on the data drives (Disk 3&4), which I didn't clone (4TB).

Disk1-OS
Disk2-OS (RAID)
Disk3-DATA
Disk4-DATA (RAID)

If I do clone the 4TB, I am gonna have a problem trying to restore the image since Clonezilla needs a target drive as big or bigger than the source. I do not have such a drive on hands.

Should I try to extract the VMs from the 4TB through copy/paste booting on a Knoppix Live and saving the /var/lib/vz/images folder to an external HDD? Do I need to create a special partition/format the HDD to ext3 to accept the VMs?

Any thoughts?

Hey Jay,

If your VMs are on those other disks and you want to just copy them, I see no problem. You could either do it while logged into the server itself or by (safer) booting a live ISO and doing it from there.

For the destination disk, you don't actually have to format it as ext3 or 4 unless there is a reason that is escaping me (not impossible ...). Could be any file system format your live ISO can read and write (often FAT32/vfat, ntfs ...). The VM files will be agnostic as to which file system format you choose to copy them to.

That said, if there is a reason (perhaps related to ProxMox ...) you need to format to ext3 or 4, you could easily do that using a live ISO of GParted (or if I understand right and you have a knoppix live ISO, maybe GParted is already included on that ..). Just make sure you choose the external disk you are going to use as a destination to operate on, and not some other data or system disk, such as the one(s) on the computer you will be using to do this ...

Cheers !

AB49K 04-01-2017 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5691026)
@AB49K @Rickkkk I just browsed the cloned HDD's structure and cannot find the VM files, which are supposed to be located at "/var/lib/vz/images/<VM ID>" — There is no 'vz' folder... No wonder why the virtual server won't start.

My guess is that the parameters were tweaked in order to store the VMs on the data drives (Disk 3&4), which I didn't clone (4TB).

Disk1-OS
Disk2-OS (RAID)
Disk3-DATA
Disk4-DATA (RAID)

If I do clone the 4TB, I am gonna have a problem trying to restore the image since Clonezilla needs a target drive as big or bigger than the source. I do not have such a drive on hands.

Should I try to extract the VMs from the 4TB through copy/paste booting on a Knoppix Live and saving the /var/lib/vz/images folder to an external HDD? Do I need to create a special partition/format the HDD to ext3 to accept the VMs?

Any thoughts?

It doesn't need to be EXT3, any format you can mount will be fine.
okay, it sounds like the VM's are on the 4tb disk, just FYI in clonezilla you actually CAN restore to a smaller disk if you take a backup of the partition (not a disk image), in clonezilla you can choose -icds in the advanced options (off the top of my head don't quote me on that one :) ) and that will resize the partitions as long as there is not more data on the partition(s) you are restoring than is on the disk you are restoring to.

I would try to manually track down the VM disk image files before imaging a disk though.

You can find where the VM files are currently mounted and stored if you go into datacentre -> Storage, It should list it there under path/target. See the attached image for what it looks like on my proxmox server.

AB49K 04-01-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5690960)
Further to the conservation above, I was able to successfully clone one of the HDD on which Proxmox (PM) and the VMs reside. I then used one of the old computers and a spare HDD to restore the Clonezilla image.

I can reasonably assume it worked since I formatted the HDD prior to restoring the image. When Clonezilla finished his job, computer booted PM without any problems. Darn good news!

I was then presented with the PM command line interface. PM advised using a browser and log to the server’s IP address to manage the VMs, i.e. https://AAA.BB.CC.DD:8006/. I am used to this since this is how I reboot/shutdown the VM.

I then punched in my credentials and PM advised that it could not communicate with the UPS, which is normal since it is a new hardware in a new setup. It all leads me to believe that the restoration was perfect.

Now the tricky part is that I cannot—in my view—get the Clonezilla-restored server online since it uses the same IP address as our actual server—which is still online.

To circumvent this, I directly hooked my laptop to the Clonezilla-restored server using an Ethernet cable. I did not use any router, etc. Still, I cannot access the PM GUI. I am lost here. I am sure it is a silly little setting that keeps me from accessing PM’s GUI.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Also, Before putting the proxmox server online (plugging in the ethernet) log in on the terminal and edit the file "/etc/network/interfaces" the interface you want *should* be called vmbr0, just change the address to a new static IP. save the file reboot the new machine and plug in your ethernet cable. then browse to the new IP

You won't be able to access the panel just by plugging the laptop into the computer without manually adding an address in that range on your laptop.

Jay1969 04-01-2017 02:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your reply, AB49K.

I have found where the VMs are installed. See attachment.

I just came back from the office to try to extract the files from the server. I shutdown the server, plugged in a 2TB USB and booted on latest Knoppix live. I see the datapool partition, but I get an error message when clicking on it. I believe it had something to do with ***/usr.

I tried mounting the USB in order to create a stop backup and saving it directly on the USB and it did not work (cannot find the thread I used for now--will post the link later).

Can I use a command line I can run asking PM to take file vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo and ship it on the USB device? We also have a NAS connected to the server. I assume I would have to mount it before being able to save anything?

I will work on the static IP in the meantime.

AB49K 04-01-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5691337)
Thanks for your reply, AB49K.

I have found where the VMs are installed. See attachment.

I just came back from the office to try to extract the files from the server. I shutdown the server, plugged in a 2TB USB and booted on latest Knoppix live. I see the datapool partition, but I get an error message when clicking on it. I believe it had something to do with ***/usr.

I tried mounting the USB in order to create a stop backup and saving it directly on the USB and it did not work (cannot find the thread I used for now--will post the link later).

Can I use a command line I can run asking PM to take file vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo and ship it on the USB device? We also have a NAS connected to the server. I assume I would have to mount it before being able to save anything?

I will work on the static IP in the meantime.

Because the backup is not a live disk and nicely compressed for you, just run good ol "rsync -avzc vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /path/to/externalhdd --progress" and then you'll have a nice backup ready to go. I don't know if proxmox supports a direct backup like that without adding the disk as a datastore and then running the backup targeting it.

Jay1969 04-01-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Because the backup is not a live disk and nicely compressed for you, just run good ol "rsync -avzc vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /path/to/externalhdd --progress" and then you'll have a nice backup ready to go. I don't know if proxmox supports a direct backup like that without adding the disk as a datastore and then running the backup targeting it.
Great! I just need some more info. I should run this exact, generic command?

rsync -avzc vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /path/to/externalhdd --progress

I do not need to identify the device (i.e. dev/sda1) or the container on the HDD to get this to work? (I feel kind of dumb asking.)

AB49K 04-01-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5691341)
Great!
rsync -avzc vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /path/to/externalhdd --progress

Identify the device, then do

"sudo mkdir /externalhdd"
"sudo mount /dev/sdX /externalhdd"
then
"sudo rsync -avzc /datapool/backups-compressed/vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /externalhdd --progress"

I *think* I'm in the right directory here, if you get an error saying something along the lines as no such file, do
"cd /datapool/backups-compressed" then do "ls" and see what's in that folder. the lzo may just be in a subfolder depending on how the backups are set up.

Jay1969 04-03-2017 05:51 PM

AB49K, you rock!

By following your instructions, I was able to complete the process, and I am ecstatic to see—at this very moment—that the backup is being copied to the XHDD. What a terrific relief!

Next step: I need to get this backup on the Clonezilla'd HD, more specifically in the folder that PM uses to boot the virtual machine. You mentioned: /var/lib/vz/images/<VM ID>. Correct?

May I please ask you to provide the sequence of commands I should input in order to copy this backup from my XHDD onto the Proxmox-powered HDD. Will I need to partition the HDD in any ways?

Can't believe I made it this far! It would have been impossible without your help, AB49K & Rickkkk!

Thanks again!

AB49K 04-03-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5692155)
AB49K, you rock!

Next step: I need to get this backup on the Clonezilla'd HD, more specifically in the folder that PM uses to boot the virtual machine. You mentioned: /var/lib/vz/images/<VM ID>. Correct?

May I please ask you to provide the sequence of commands I should input in order to copy this backup from my XHDD onto the Proxmox-powered HDD. Will I need to partition the HDD in any ways?

Can't believe I made it this far! It would have been impossible without your help, AB49K & Rickkkk!

Thanks again!

Are you using an different RAID set for your containers like on the old server?

If you are, the commands will be different - you may have to re-set up the storage devices to point to a local folder rather than the ZFS pool that it was on the original server.

Jay1969 04-03-2017 07:25 PM

No, I have one 2TB HDD in the box — that's it! I formatted the HDD, then cloned Proxmox on it using Clonezilla. That's all I did.

AB49K 04-03-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5692190)
No, I have one 2TB HDD in the box — that's it! I formatted the HDD, then cloned Proxmox on it using Clonezilla. That's all I did.

Alright!
So there is a few things we might need to do.

First make a directory
"sudo mkdir /var/lib/vzbackup"
Then mount the external disk the same way as before.
then do
"sudo rsync -avzc /externalhdd/vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /var/lib/vzbackup --progress"

Once that's done, you'll have to add the new storage locations to the server.

in the Proxmox panel, go to datacentre -> storage
There should be a storage called "local" there. Double click on that and make sure "Disk Image, ISO Image, Container Template and Container" are highlighted.

Then, go to Add -> directory

For the ID, just put 'backups' or something
directory is "/var/lib/vzbackup"
and for content, set it as "VZDump backup file"

Now under your server list, you should see a new storage location with the ID of the new backup location. Click on that, it should list all the backups copied to /var/lib/vzbackup. And then just highlight the backup and choose "restore"

That should be it. :)

Rickkkk 04-04-2017 12:16 PM

Glad to see you're progressing with AB49K's help. At this point, I have nothing in particular to add since AB49K has much more pertinent experience for your particular situation.

I'll still follow this until the end, mind you :-)

Cheers.

Jay1969 04-04-2017 01:26 PM

OK, backups all have been transferred to my XHDD. Happy camper! Before I go on and proceed to next step, I am sure I need to unmount the XHDD before unplugging the device. I tried to reverse the steps AB49K indicated to mount the XHDD and transfer the files with rsync. It does not work.

What is the command to unmount the external HDD? I tried "unmount /dev/sdXX /externalhdd" without luck.

wpeckham 04-04-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5692548)
OK, backups all have been transferred to my XHDD. Happy camper! Before I go on and proceed to next step, I am sure I need to unmount the XHDD before unplugging the device. I tried to reverse the steps AB49K indicated to mount the XHDD and transfer the files with rsync. It does not work.

What is the command to unmount the external HDD? I tried "unmount /dev/sdXX /externalhdd" without luck.

The command is not
Code:

unmount
. The command is
Code:

umount
.
I hope that helps.

Jay1969 04-04-2017 05:14 PM

Thanks wpeckham! :o

The backups were not copied the XHDD. I got an error message at the very end, something to do with read-only. I have a WD 2TB Elements, factory formatted. SHould we create a distinct Linux partition on this drive? Or create a folder through Windows (e.g. root/dump) and copy the files in that folder instead of at the disk's root?

Rickkkk 04-04-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5692650)
Thanks wpeckham! :o

The backups were not copied the XHDD. I got an error message at the very end, something to do with read-only. I have a WD 2TB Elements, factory formatted. SHould we create a distinct Linux partition on this drive? Or create a folder through Windows (e.g. root/dump) and copy the files in that folder instead of at the disk's root?

That's odd. If there was a read-only flag on the file-system, I think you would have gotten a message immediately - not near the end of the copy cycle. Could you run a command on the machine your 2TB drive is plugged into :

Code:

lsblk -fs
Thx.

Jay1969 04-05-2017 11:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Retried — does not work. See snapshots.

AB49K 04-05-2017 11:38 AM

Hi Jay,

Try moving it into a different directory in the external HDD?
I can't really see what the rest of the error is due to the flash.
Did the .lzo get moved to the HDD anyway? do "ls -l /externalhdd/"

Jay1969 04-05-2017 11:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
No, it did not. See screenshots. I created the 'dump' folder yesterday through Windows. What would the command to try to copy in that folder?

I would guess:

sudo rsync -avzc dump/externalhdd/vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /var/lib/vzbackup --progress

Please confirm.

AB49K 04-05-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1969 (Post 5692975)
No, it did not. See screenshots. I created the 'dump' folder yesterday through Windows. What would the command to try to copy in that folder?

I would guess:

sudo rsync -avzc dump/externalhdd/vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /var/lib/vzbackup --progress

Please confirm.

Okay, just to be sure, you are running this on the NEW server with one HDD that you imaged with clonezilla?

Jay1969 04-05-2017 11:57 AM

No, sir. I am trying to copy the backups from our current server to the XHDD in order to copy them on the new server I imaged with Clonezilla.

I have not even been able so far to get a single .lzo file out of our current server.

AB49K 04-05-2017 12:02 PM

"rsync -avzc /datapool/backups-compressed/vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo /externalhdd/dump/ --progress"

That should be the one you're after :)
Just make sure that the backup you're grabbing is a recent one, the backup you're listing here is from 11/11/2016 so yeah. If you want to pull all backups of that VM, do

"rsync -avzc /datapool/backups-compressed/vzdump-qemu-100-*.lzo /externalhdd/dump/ --progress"

Just keep in mind, you only need one to restore from. Just do a "ls -l /datapool/backups-compressed" and find the latest one that starts with "vzdump-qemu-100" then replace vzdump-qemu-100-2016_11_11-09_30_41.vma.lzo with whatever the latest one is.

Jay1969 04-05-2017 12:05 PM

Awesome. I will get them all out at once. Peace of mind. Will get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks a million, AB49K.

Rickkkk 04-05-2017 12:52 PM

My 2 cents ...

The output of the ls -l command definitely shows that even root does not have write permissions on that external hdd. Before telling you how to correct that, perhaps AB49K has comments on this ?

If not, the command to give root write permissions would be:

Code:

chmod -R 0775 /externalhdd


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.