LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
gwbaby
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Distribution: Fedora 11
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
Root user with Xwindows


Is it possible for root to use Xwindows? if yes, how can it be because I put "root" as user and password correctly, it won't let me in.
 
Old 07-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
gwbaby
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Distribution: Fedora 11
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
eth1 is already down

I need to enable eth1 every time system boots up. Would you let me know how to fix it permanently. Which file is it, how to use that?

Thanks for your knowledge.
 
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,328

Rep: Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbaby View Post
Is it possible for root to use Xwindows? if yes, how can it be because I put "root" as user and password correctly, it won't let me in.
Yes, it is.

There are different ways to do it, but since you don't say what version/distro of Linux you're using, what login manager, what desktop, in what environment, it's hard to be more specific.
 
Old 07-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbaby View Post
I need to enable eth1 every time system boots up. Would you let me know how to fix it permanently. Which file is it, how to use that?

Thanks for your knowledge.
Gwbaby,
Please don't start two separate threads under one thread. If you have unrelated questions, please start a separate thread for each one. This avoids confusion in following the discussion.
Thanks,
jdk
 
Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
gwbaby
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Distribution: Fedora 11
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
X windows with root account

First, sorry that I accidently posted two different issue under one thread.

I am using Fedora 11. Basically, what I want to do is this. When I change setup or copy a file, I don't want to get error message "no permission" any more.
 
Old 07-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,195

Rep: Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562
Security issue.

Use x then change to root if su or sudo doesn't work for your case.
 
Old 07-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
gwbaby
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Distribution: Fedora 11
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
would you explain "x"?

would you explain "x"?
 
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,328

Rep: Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbaby View Post
would you explain "x"?
Log in as your normal user under X windows. Get to a terminal window, and type in "sudo <command>", or "su - root", and enter the root password.
 
Old 07-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
gwbaby,
In general, it's not a good idea to run an x-session as root. That's why most distros make it difficult for you to do that. There are ways around these security measures but unless you really know what you're doing, I wouldn't advise using them.

What exactly are you trying to do. What does "When I change setup or copy a file" mean? You can do anything you want in your home directory. I think you are heading for disaster.
cheers,
jdk
 
Old 07-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #10
Quads
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 203

Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
gwbaby,
In general, it's not a good idea to run an x-session as root. That's why most distros make it difficult for you to do that. There are ways around these security measures but unless you really know what you're doing, I wouldn't advise using them.

What exactly are you trying to do. What does "When I change setup or copy a file" mean? You can do anything you want in your home directory. I think you are heading for disaster.
cheers,
jdk
Good call. When I first started with linux I had a train wreck running x as root. It even warned me when started x that it isn't a good idea. I used to make a habit out of it.

I'm telling you, do not ever log into x as root. Its way too easy to mess things up. Like yeah, it won't happen to me. All I did was click something wrong, basically miss with the mouse pointer, and adios.

Learn to use the command line. If you insist on logging in as root, you have to exit x completely, become root, and then restart x. Its easier just to use the command line really.
 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #11
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
Good call. When I first started with linux I had a train wreck running x as root. It even warned me when started x that it isn't a good idea. I used to make a habit out of it.

I'm telling you, do not ever log into x as root. Its way too easy to mess things up. Like yeah, it won't happen to me. All I did was click something wrong, basically miss with the mouse pointer, and adios.

Learn to use the command line. If you insist on logging in as root, you have to exit x completely, become root, and then restart x. Its easier just to use the command line really.
Well said Quads! But you don't have to x to log in as root. You can open a terminal and execute su or you can clt-alt-F1/.../F6 in most distros and get a virtual terminal that way. Occasionally you may want to run an editor (like kate) or a filemanager as root and gksu will let you do that.
Cheers,
jdk
 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 AM   #12
Quads
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 203

Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Well said Quads! But you don't have to x to log in as root. You can open a terminal and execute su or you can clt-alt-F1/.../F6 in most distros and get a virtual terminal that way. Occasionally you may want to run an editor (like kate) or a filemanager as root and gksu will let you do that.
Cheers,
jdk
Sorry...I don't have the full understanding of the differences between a virutal terminal and a 'real' terminal...

And now, of course, I know that we can run kate as root quite easily...God, I wish I would have known then, but then I wouldn't have had that good lesson about being careful with my root account, would I?
 
Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
gwbaby
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Distribution: Fedora 11
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool Thanks for all your answers

This is my situation. I am running mysql server in Fedora 11. now it is working fine. I also installed mysql took kits (Mysql administrator) in order to control DB.

When I try to add new user, MySQL administrator blocked me, so I couldn't add it (I attached snap-shot) In that case, do i need to use command-line? I logged as root in mysql, but not from x-windows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MySQL Administrator.png
Views:	6
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	988  
 
Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
linus72
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,087

Rep: Reputation: 338Reputation: 338Reputation: 338Reputation: 338
Although I run as ROOT in almost all my distro's, I don't do it in Ubuntu or the major distro's

When running tinycore, puppy I run as absolute root, with all apps running as root too.
I changed the menu so XFE,XFW, and the terminal would be as root too.

in tinycore there is no "user" really.

NEVER chown / either!
I accidently did "chown -R bz /
when I meant to do chown -R bz /media/disk

total re-install onlt way to fix it.

Of course, all my boxes are test beds anyway
 
Old 07-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
gwbaby
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Distribution: Fedora 11
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks for your answer.

Somehow, since I am newbie, i couldn't understand well. So, whenever I met the error "permission denied" from X windows, what is the best way?

1. I switch command line mode and log in root
2. Temporary, give a user as root previllege
3. log in X windows as root

I have not only mysql administrator utility, but also other utility, i got same situation "permission denied"

also, now i understand why every distro intentionally disable x windows loggin as root.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding root privaliges to user accounts or auto login as root Val-Ent Linux - General 15 03-02-2010 05:27 PM
How can I have a script owned as root and run as root by a user: setuid? stickey bit? abefroman Linux - Newbie 9 04-19-2008 06:15 PM
Xwindows freezes on exit, but only for root geomatt Slackware 13 10-09-2004 06:42 PM
Problems opening XWindows under regular user...Help please. libranikki Slackware 5 08-08-2004 09:45 PM
DRI / Xwindows / Only working as root? hjles Slackware 5 12-11-2003 05:52 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration