LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
kashifpk47
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
RH6.5 client machine stuck at power down


Dear all,
I am working on a linux red hat 6.5 client machine on which two server directories are mounted. When I shut it down it hangs or stops and last step saying
Unmounting file systems (retry) [OK]
init: Re-executing /sbin/init
Halting system...
Power down.

But is never shut down and I have to Power off
 
Old 02-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,306

Rep: Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashifpk47 View Post
Dear all,
I am working on a linux red hat 6.5 client machine on which two server directories are mounted. When I shut it down it hangs or stops and last step saying
Unmounting file systems (retry) [OK]
init: Re-executing /sbin/init
Halting system...
Power down.

But is never shut down and I have to Power off
Right...that's what the message saying "Power down" means.....for you to power the system down.

You say nothing about your hardware, but it could be an ACPI bug/feature, or that your hardware isn't cooperating with the power down commands. Since you're using RHEL, have you contacted Red Hat support? You are PAYING FOR RHEL, RIGHT????
 
Old 02-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
kashifpk47
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The hardware I am using is HP Z840 workstation. No I have not contacted the support yet as I am not the exact IT guy. I am just thrown into this stuff
 
Old 02-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
kashifpk47
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The hardware I am using is HP Z840 workstation. No I have not contacted the support yet as I am not the exact IT guy. I am just thrown into this stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Right...that's what the message saying "Power down" means.....for you to power the system down.

You say nothing about your hardware, but it could be an ACPI bug/feature, or that your hardware isn't cooperating with the power down commands. Since you're using RHEL, have you contacted Red Hat support? You are PAYING FOR RHEL, RIGHT????
 
Old 02-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,306

Rep: Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashifpk47 View Post
The hardware I am using is HP Z840 workstation. No I have not contacted the support yet as I am not the exact IT guy. I am just thrown into this stuff
Then you need to contact the "exact IT guy". There's very little you can do if you're not the administrator...you won't have access to the log files, and without knowing what to even look at, it's going to be next to impossible to diagnose it.

Again, as asked before...have you contacted Red Hat support??? RHEL is NOT FREE, and when you purchase it, you get support. There is an excellent chance that whatever problem you're having they can either help you with, or have already released a patch/bugfix for ACPI to allow this system to work properly. Again, they can tell you and walk you through things.
 
Old 02-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
kashifpk47
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I can access all the log files as i do have the root password. I have another machine with same hardware which is working OK. only this machine is having issue. No i am not able to contact support
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Then you need to contact the "exact IT guy". There's very little you can do if you're not the administrator...you won't have access to the log files, and without knowing what to even look at, it's going to be next to impossible to diagnose it.

Again, as asked before...have you contacted Red Hat support??? RHEL is NOT FREE, and when you purchase it, you get support. There is an excellent chance that whatever problem you're having they can either help you with, or have already released a patch/bugfix for ACPI to allow this system to work properly. Again, they can tell you and walk you through things.
 
Old 02-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,306

Rep: Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashifpk47 View Post
I can access all the log files as i do have the root password. I have another machine with same hardware which is working OK. only this machine is having issue. No i am not able to contact support
WHY are you not able to contact support??

And again, if you're not the administrator, it's going to be VERY difficult to diagnose things. There is obviously some difference between the systems. Are they both running the same kernels/updates/patches? Same BIOS versions???
 
Old 02-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Habitual
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Yawnstown, Ohio
Distribution: Mojave
Posts: 9,374
Blog Entries: 37

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
nfs mounts?
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:32 AM   #9
kashifpk47
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
nfs mounts?
Yes it is NFS mount
 
Old 02-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,306

Rep: Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashifpk47 View Post
Yes it is NFS mount
WHAT is 'NFS mount'??

Read the "Question Guidelines" link in my posting signature. If you're not going to provide details, and we have to ask for each and every bit of information, this isn't pleasant. And AGAIN....WHY can you not contact RHEL support??? And again, what are the differences between the machines? You were asked before:

Are they both running the same kernels/updates/patches? Same BIOS versions???

If you're not going to answer questions when asked, there isn't much point in posting.
 
Old 02-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #11
MrTux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2015
Posts: 131

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
WHAT is 'NFS mount'??

Read the "Question Guidelines" link in my posting signature. If you're not going to provide details, and we have to ask for each and every bit of information, this isn't pleasant. And AGAIN....WHY can you not contact RHEL support??? And again, what are the differences between the machines? You were asked before:

Are they both running the same kernels/updates/patches? Same BIOS versions???

If you're not going to answer questions when asked, there isn't much point in posting.
Maybe he is a newbie admin that just got the job through connections and is not aware of it :P
 
Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #12
kashifpk47
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
relax guys.... please I am basically a application support guy... sent here for application support but client asked us to fix this issue first. So cony rather than calling sys admin asking me to do it and take help from sys admin on email. if you guys can help I will highly appreciate
Today after some suggestions I updated the grub.conf file by adding the acpi=force pci=noacpi to kernel line. My new grub.conf is like below.
After this I shut down machine 6 times. it went off 4 times and did not went of last two time.
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_owsoc3-lv_root nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau
# initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img
#boot=/dev/sdc
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux (2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /tboot.gz logging=vga,serial,memory acpi=force pci=noacpi
module /vmlinuz-2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_owsoc3-lv_root intel_iommu=on amd_iommu=on rd_NO_LUKS KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd_NO_MD rd_LVM_LV=vg_owsoc3/lv_swap SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 crashkernel=128M rd_LVM_LV=vg_owsoc3/lv_root rd_NO_DM rhgb quiet nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau
module /initramfs-2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64.img
 
Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,306

Rep: Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005Reputation: 6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashifpk47 View Post
relax guys.... please I am basically a application support guy... sent here for application support but client asked us to fix this issue first.
Then the problem is far easier...tell the client it's not your job (it isn't), and tell them to call RHEL support for help. If you're there to support an application, then do it. A workstation not powering off physically isn't your job.
Quote:
So cony rather than calling sys admin asking me to do it and take help from sys admin on email. if you guys can help I will highly appreciate
And AGAIN, since you've ignored the issue SEVERAL TIMES: WHY CAN YOU NOT CALL RHEL SUPPORT FOR HELP???
Quote:
Today after some suggestions I updated the grub.conf file by adding the acpi=force pci=noacpi to kernel line. My new grub.conf is like below.
After this I shut down machine 6 times. it went off 4 times and did not went of last two time.
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_owsoc3-lv_root nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau
# initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img
#boot=/dev/sdc
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux (2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /tboot.gz logging=vga,serial,memory acpi=force pci=noacpi
module /vmlinuz-2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_owsoc3-lv_root intel_iommu=on amd_iommu=on rd_NO_LUKS KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd_NO_MD rd_LVM_LV=vg_owsoc3/lv_swap SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 crashkernel=128M rd_LVM_LV=vg_owsoc3/lv_root rd_NO_DM rhgb quiet nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau
module /initramfs-2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64.img
...and since we don't know what it said previously, where you got that advice, or still see ANYTHING from the system logs, there is STILL absolutely nothing we can tell you.

Again, if this is a client's machine, it's not your job to fix it...it's their job, their system administrator is responsible for it. And AGAIN, if they're using RHEL, they can call for support.
 
Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #14
kashifpk47
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Finally issue has been identified that the bios version of the system is older. we tried to update it but the current version of HP Z840 has a bug thatch it cant be updated on linux. So now either we move the system to windows and update bios and switch back to Linux by switching hard drives. Or send it to Hp and ask them to update the bios. Both options has been given to client lets see what the decide. Thanks for ur nice comments guys.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Unable to connect to Server machine from a client machine using ftp service raosr020 Linux - Newbie 3 03-26-2013 12:14 PM
stuck on boot after power failure Roderick Linux - Newbie 8 12-27-2012 08:44 PM
not able to ping a machine but can do ssh to machine , wanna run vnc client amolgupta Linux - Software 4 07-28-2009 06:17 PM
how to watch linux client machine desktop(activities) from windows machine deepak rawat Linux - Networking 7 07-03-2006 05:59 PM
Configuring a transparent proxy on a client machine ONLY instead of a server machine. clinux_rulz Linux - Networking 1 05-31-2006 03:53 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration