LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
mikeh9
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: wales
Distribution: linux mint
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkkk View Post
Hi mikeh9,

If you're still interested in recovering your Windows 10 install, it's probably just a simple matter of fixing up the bootloader - worst case, the BootRepair utility is a pretty good tool.
where do I find the Boot repair Utility
 
Old 04-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #17
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 8,906

Rep: Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859Reputation: 1859
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
 
Old 04-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #18
itsgregman
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: North Carolina
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 207

Rep: Reputation: 60
If you have "fast boot" enabled that may have caused your issue with win10 failing to boot. Make sure you disable it before doing a fix or you may find yourself in the same situation again.
 
Old 04-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #19
mikeh9
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: wales
Distribution: linux mint
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgregman View Post
If you have "fast boot" enabled that may have caused your issue with win10 failing to boot. Make sure you disable it before doing a fix or you may find yourself in the same situation again
Ok give it a go when I get a chance. Many thanks
 
Old 04-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
Rickkkk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,234

Rep: Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh9 View Post
where do I find the Boot repair Utility
Hey mikeh9,

I see yancek has already answered this question and pointed you to Boot Repair. Know that it is also available as a stand-alone Live SO from SourceForge.

Let us know how it goes !

Cheers,
 
Old 04-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #21
trumpforprez
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2016
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Jessie
Posts: 154

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
update-grub has that been ran yet to pick up windows?
The above comment is what you need to do first.

If you need to resort to Boot Repair Utility, then be careful what info you reveal about your system on the net.

If you use sourceforge, then at least read this info about it on Wikipedia

You have a simple problem. I don't think you need to install 3rd party apps from sourceforge.

It's your decision
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #22
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware FreeBSD Win10 MX
Posts: 9,633

Rep: Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074
so to add to that-- 40_custom in /etc/grub.d is used to add boot menu for other OSes when grub is not picking them up.
 
Old 04-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #23
Rickkkk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,234

Rep: Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpforprez View Post
... I don't think you need to install 3rd party apps from sourceforge. ...
Hi trumpforprez,

I agree with you that using Boot Repair is recommended after having had no success with more specific intervention, as your suggestion for updating grub.

I am curious, however, where you go when you need a live ISO of Boot Repair, if not SourceForge ? My understanding is that this is the most common repository. I've also seen links to Softpedia, but less commonly ...

Cheers :-)
 
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #24
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware FreeBSD Win10 MX
Posts: 9,633

Rep: Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074Reputation: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkkk View Post
Hi trumpforprez,

I agree with you that using Boot Repair is recommended after having had no success with more specific intervention, as your suggestion for updating grub.

I am curious, however, where you go when you need a live ISO of Boot Repair, if not SourceForge ? My understanding is that this is the most common repository. I've also seen links to Softpedia, but less commonly ...

Cheers :-)
who's suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
update-grub has that been ran yet to pick up windows?
super grub2 burned to USB Stick searches all active boots and if you cannot get into windows from that chances are you destroyed it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/

you can try to get a recovery disk for windows and fix your boot record then lose grub and have to deal with installing that again. are you sure windows is still there even?

Last edited by BW-userx; 04-04-2017 at 07:49 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #25
Rickkkk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,234

Rep: Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
who's suggestion? ...
lol ... A thousand apologies, BW-userx ... missed that. >> Your << suggestion, and as previously mentioned, a good one.

Cheers :-)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #26
mikeh9
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: wales
Distribution: linux mint
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile bye bye windows

first of all I would like to thank each and every one of you who have posted a reply for me on this question.
But I have finally decided that the best course and the easiest for me is to wipe the slate clean. and start again.

So the plan is for me to back up all my data.
Because I have only had Mint for about a week. an because I backed up my data from windows before I loaded Mint. I have only a weeks worth of data to back up now would be a good time to do it.
The simplest way is to put the Mint dvd back in and reinstall under complete install.
So hopefully be able to do it next week sometime when I get a chance.
Thanks again for all the help you have given let you know how it goes.
 
Old 04-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #27
Rickkkk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,234

Rep: Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451
Glad we were able to help. Have an enjoyable experience with Mint and feel free to return anytime.

Cheers,
 
Old 04-07-2017, 02:46 AM   #28
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,438

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh9 View Post
first of all I would like to thank each and every one of you who have posted a reply for me on this question.
But I have finally decided that the best course and the easiest for me is to wipe the slate clean. and start again.

So the plan is for me to back up all my data.
Because I have only had Mint for about a week. an because I backed up my data from windows before I loaded Mint. I have only a weeks worth of data to back up now would be a good time to do it.
The simplest way is to put the Mint dvd back in and reinstall under complete install.
So hopefully be able to do it next week sometime when I get a chance.
Thanks again for all the help you have given let you know how it goes.
Yeah that's what I tend to do, start a fresh.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] scanning and removing viruses on windows partition malayo Linux - Newbie 2 04-21-2011 07:13 AM
How to partition Windows XP disk to install Ubuntu without removing Windows c.arpon Linux - Newbie 6 08-24-2010 06:01 PM
[SOLVED] removing viruses in windows partition using linux. chauniyal Linux - Newbie 18 06-29-2010 12:39 PM
Removing Linux Partition and merging that space with my other Windows Partition RamenBooko Linux - General 3 10-11-2007 03:47 PM
Removing Windows partition... Enil8 Linux - Newbie 6 07-13-2003 04:36 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration