LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Recompiling MPlayer with xvid support on Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/recompiling-mplayer-with-xvid-support-on-slackware-4175494125/)

BrutalMusic 02-07-2014 04:55 AM

Recompiling MPlayer with xvid support on Slackware
 
I'm sure the information is out there but I can't figure out where to look...

I have installed xvid but mencoder can't use it. I think what I need to do is recompile MPlayer, but how?

When I run the command:

Code:

mencoder input.mov -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1500:pass=1 -vf scale=720:480 -o output.avi
I get the result:

Code:

MEncoder 1.1-4.8.2 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
-xvidencopts is not an MEncoder option

Exiting... (error parsing command line)

I'm running Slackware 64 14.1. I have installed xvidcore-1.3.2.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MPlayer using the package included in the distro, but no difference. I see a slackbuild by alienBob, but it's really old.

I'm guessing I'm supposed to build a new package using an option that asks it to use xvid as a dependency, but how?

Drakeo 02-07-2014 06:23 AM

well pretty simple copy
first you will have to install the xvid codec by building it from slackbuilds.

open a terminal put this in it.
Quote:

lftp -c 'open http://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux....1/source/xap/ ; mirror -c -e MPlayer'
after mplayer is downloaded. inside you will see the slackware build file named MPlayer.SlackBuild open it with kwrite. or any editor you like. and read the patent alert. and then at line number 176
Quote:

USE_PATENTS=${USE_PATENTS:-"NO"}
and change it to
Quote:

USE_PATENTS=${USE_PATENTS:-"YES"}
if you do not understand how to use slackbuilds there is great help doc's there.

brianL 02-07-2014 06:28 AM

If you haven't got them, you might need them: mplayer-codecs:
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14...ayer-codecs64/

gengisdave 02-07-2014 06:43 AM

it's a long time i don't use mplayer to encode, but it isn't "xvidopts"?

ADD : "mencoder -ovc help" shows you all supported video codec

BrutalMusic 02-07-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gengisdave (Post 5113282)
it's a long time i don't use mplayer to encode, but it isn't "xvidopts"?
ADD : "mencoder -ovc help" shows you all supported video codec

Nope, it's xvidencopts. Thanks for the command, always nice to be able to get a quick check of what's there. Before I tried the other suggestions, I had the following: copy, frameno, raw, nuv, lavc

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianL (Post 5113266)
If you haven't got them, you might need them: mplayer-codecs:
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14...ayer-codecs64/

Thanks, but it didn't fix this issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakeo (Post 5113264)
...after mplayer is downloaded. inside you will see the slackware build file named MPlayer.SlackBuild open it with kwrite. or any editor you like. and read the patent alert. and then at line number 176 and change it to...

Drakeo, your answer was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much; it worked like a charm!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.