LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
pinga123
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 684
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 37
Questions regarding kernel up gradation


My First attempt to upgrade the kernel gone wrong .

Here are the details still waiting for someone to answer it.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-3-1-a-939248/

BTW let me ask my questions .
1)Kernel.org is the site i should look out for new kernel?(correct me if i m wrong)
2)I didn't find rpm version of the latest kernel which is 3.3.2. Where can i get that?
3)I m using virtual box to host a redhat machine.Will there be any issue in kernel up gradation.
4)I can see patches being displayed aside kernel source. Do i need to download them too?
5)Has any 1 downloaded and installed kernel > 3.1.
6)Are they distribution specific? For example
If i have redhat,fedora,ubuntu ,will the same source code downloaded from kernel.org work on all the distribution.
 
Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,417

Rep: Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397
In general, you do NOT get new kernels from kernel.org. Orgs like eg RH take the stock kernel from there and customise for their distro.
Stick to the ones in the repo(s) for the specific distro you want to update.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
pinga123
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 684
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
In general, you do NOT get new kernels from kernel.org. Orgs like eg RH take the stock kernel from there and customise for their distro.
Stick to the ones in the repo(s) for the specific distro you want to update.
Can you answer rest of the questions.
 
Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,417

Rep: Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397
1, yes
2. see 1.
3. no if you use RH supplied kernel. yes if you build your own
4. maybe; you'll have to read the notes
5. obviously someone has by now it's going to take a lot of research & work to build your own from scratch.
You may want to move this to the Programming forum
6. see my post #2
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
jmc1987
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Distribution: Debian, CentOS, windows 7/10
Posts: 879

Rep: Reputation: 113Reputation: 113
The real question is how come you want to update to the latest kernel rather than have the latest stable kernel from RHET?

I use debian wheezy
Quote:
james@xion:~$ uname -a
Linux xion 3.2.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Apr 15 16:47:38 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
So yes some of us are using the > 3.1.

But I would recommend you to stick with your distros kernel unless you need a feature the distro kernel doesn't support.
 
Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
pinga123
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 684
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc1987 View Post
The real question is how come you want to update to the latest kernel rather than have the latest stable kernel from RHET?

I use debian wheezy

So yes some of us are using the > 3.1.

But I would recommend you to stick with your distros kernel unless you need a feature the distro kernel doesn't support.
The question was asked to clear out my doubts .

I m little noob when it comes to upgradation of kernel (May be because i never run into kernel related problems).
 
Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
pinga123
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 684
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
So here is the summery of what i understand from the thread(correct me if i m wrong).

Kernel.org is a site where i can see the latest kernel/patches available.
Such kernels and patches are intended to Distribution Suppliers like RHEL and Highly skilled peoples who have vast knowledge of kernel compilation.

Its more likely that you run into compilation errors if you download the kernel from Kernel.org and compile it for your distribution.Most of the forums are unable to help you in this scenario as the error messages are kernel specific.The best way to get help is to write to kernel publisher.(Mailed them 7 days ago yet to receive any reply ).

Its recommended for Entry level System administrators to wait until Distribution supplier finish their testing with new kernel and release the customized version of new kernel for a specific distribution.

Try not to use virtual machines for building the kernel from source code.For such scenario you better get the compiled kernel from distribution supplier like RHEL.
 
Old 04-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
TommyC7
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 469

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinga123 View Post
So here is the summery of what i understand from the thread(correct me if i m wrong).

Kernel.org is a site where i can see the latest kernel/patches available.
Such kernels and patches are intended to Distribution Suppliers like RHEL and Highly skilled peoples who have vast knowledge of kernel compilation.
Yes kernel.org is the official page for the Linux kernel and that is where you can see the latest kernel as well as the ones still being tested. Yes to the second part as well, but basically you just need to know what you're looking for the in the kernel (99% of the time it's hardware stuff you're looking for).

Since you're using RedHat, assuming you paid for it can you not just e-mail/call them for assistance? Either way, I also use CentOS which is derived from RHEL and they do give you this guide:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom...9|%28kernel%29

I cannot guarantee it will work for you and it is not officially supported.

Quote:
Its more likely that you run into compilation errors if you download the kernel from Kernel.org and compile it for your distribution.Most of the forums are unable to help you in this scenario as the error messages are kernel specific.The best way to get help is to write to kernel publisher.(Mailed them 7 days ago yet to receive any reply ).
No. I've used kernel.org kernels on Slackware many times and the compiles have never failed me. If you know for a sure it's not a problem with something your OS does with or to the kernel, then it's likely a user error.

You can ask here and on various other forums. I'm not sure if the kernel publishers will mail you back for sure (they're working on the kernel) and there are many guides to help you understand the kernel as well.

Quote:
Its recommended for Entry level System administrators to wait until Distribution supplier finish their testing with new kernel and release the customized version of new kernel for a specific distribution.
Not sure about the third one, as "Entry Level" Sys. Admin. is kind of vague but if you're new to kernel compilation, compile kernels on a machine that you can test and have fun on (not on a production machine). Then when you get to know it really really well, then maybe go for it.

Quote:
Try not to use virtual machines for building the kernel from source code.For such scenario you better get the compiled kernel from distribution supplier like RHEL.
I don't think it matters where you build the kernel, as long as you build it correctly it should work fine. The safer method is to just wait for your vendor to give out the newest kernel version but safe is boring.

Last edited by TommyC7; 04-19-2012 at 01:32 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
pinga123
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 684
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC7 View Post

No. I've used kernel.org kernels on Slackware many times and the compiles have never failed me. If you know for a sure it's not a problem with something your OS does with or to the kernel, then it's likely a user error.
Thanks that was very informative.

Agree with most of the points but one.

I have downloaded the kernel source for kernel.org but unable to build it you may find the steps i followed in below thread.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-3-1-a-939248/
Do you think there is any user error there?
 
Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
TommyC7
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 469

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't know too much about RHEL to comment, but CentOS (a RHEL derivative) does give this in their wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

I'm not sure how much that can or will help you to be honest.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Up gradation of fedora 8 to fedora 15 V.Viswaroopan Nair Linux - Newbie 4 12-24-2011 05:43 PM
Pointers on Kernel up-gradation sahil.jammu Ubuntu 1 05-12-2011 04:13 PM
Mysql up-gradation not showing in Php info page tanveer Linux - Server 4 01-13-2009 09:20 PM
Kernel Questions ericfx Slackware 3 10-30-2006 09:54 PM
Kernel questions breider565 Linux - Newbie 2 06-04-2004 04:30 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration