LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   question on rpm (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/question-on-rpm-600971/)

OTIM 11-19-2007 08:09 PM

question on rpm
 
Hi,

I have some questions regarding rpms and because i'm new to linux i'm confused:
1. i want to install a software for fedora, and i search for it in the rpmfind.net, but i didn't find any rpm for fedora. I found only for redhat and fedora core . Is fedora core the same thing with fedora 7 ? (my current OS)
2. Is there any problem if i install the redhat rpms instead?or the Suse rpms?
3.On another pc i have CentOS 5 . I read that CentOS basically is redhat, but what version of redhat? If i install redhat rpms on CentOS will it work?
4.I've noticed that when i install from source (tarballs) the installation is slightly different then installing using yum. When using yum it installs more "things" like creating new directories in different places etc Why is that?

Thank you very much!

Lenard 11-19-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

1. i want to install a software for fedora, and i search for it in the rpmfind.net, but i didn't find any rpm for fedora. I found only for redhat and fedora core . Is fedora core the same thing with fedora 7 ? (my current OS)
Sometimes yes, for the most part Fedora and Fedora Core are the same, naming changed slightly with the releae of Fedora 7. You can also search for packages on pbone.net;

http://rpm.pbone.net/

Quote:

2. Is there any problem if i install the redhat rpms instead?or the Suse rpms?
In many cases yes, as a rule of thumb one should only install binary rpms meant for the version of Linux you are using. If you need something many times one can rebuild the binary rpm packages by using the source rpm, Red Hat rpms are more compatible with Fedora then SuSE rpms.

Quote:

3.On another pc i have CentOS 5 . I read that CentOS basically is redhat, but what version of redhat? If i install redhat rpms on CentOS will it work?
This is a special case, CentOS is basically RHEL-AS version for version, CentOS is a 100% binary compatible with RHEL. For example CentOS-4.5 is the freely available clone of RHEL4 update 5.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.