LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
Dave E
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Massachusetts : Originally From England
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Question About Opening Irfanview Through Wine


Hi. I have installed the Image Viewer Irfanview through Wine. My Wine folder is on my desktop, and I would like to move that into another folder. I have tried this, but then whenever I try to open an image/picture through Irfanview, I get an error saying File Not Found. Then if I try to open the Irfanview itself I get an Error saying Path Not Found. So my question is, how can I not have the Wine folder on my Desktop (as in moving it to inside another folder), but still being able to open images in Irfanview? I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3.

Thanks in advance, for any help given.
 
Old 07-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
JeremyBoden
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,947

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
If you have moved the Wine folder then all the internal links inside Wine are going to be pointing to the wrong places.

What can irfanview do that standard Linux software cannot, anyway?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,834

Rep: Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
Hi. I have installed the Image Viewer Irfanview through Wine. My Wine folder is on my desktop, and I would like to move that into another folder. I have tried this, but then whenever I try to open an image/picture through Irfanview, I get an error saying File Not Found. Then if I try to open the Irfanview itself I get an Error saying Path Not Found. So my question is, how can I not have the Wine folder on my Desktop (as in moving it to inside another folder), but still being able to open images in Irfanview? I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3.
I'd agree with JeremyBoden...why are you using a Windows program for this? There are MANY Linux viewers (gwenview for KDE, EOG for Gnome are two that come immediately to mind), that have features/functionality almost identical to Irfanview.

When going to Linux, it's best to use Linux software, rather than try to get Windows software working in Linux. There's typically no need for Windows software at all these days.
 
Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 22,027

Rep: Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632Reputation: 3632
Not sure what is the icon or folder. Find more about what it is maybe?
 
Old 07-18-2018, 05:21 AM   #5
Dave E
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Massachusetts : Originally From England
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
I'd agree with JeremyBoden...why are you using a Windows program for this? There are MANY Linux viewers (gwenview for KDE, EOG for Gnome are two that come immediately to mind), that have features/functionality almost identical to Irfanview.

When going to Linux, it's best to use Linux software, rather than try to get Windows software working in Linux. There's typically no need for Windows software at all these days.
I chose to use Irfanview simply because it's a program I use a lot, it has many features that I am used to using, The software available in the Menu/Graphics on Linux Mint, do not have many features at all, compared to Irfanview. As for not using Windows programs in Linux, doesn't that make the program Wine a waste of time having?
 
Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
Dave E
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Massachusetts : Originally From England
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Not sure what is the icon or folder. Find more about what it is maybe?
I apologize Jefro, but I'm not sure what you mean. I have an Irfanview icon in the task bar. The Wine folder which has Irfanview folder in it, is on my desktop.
 
Old 07-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,834

Rep: Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
I chose to use Irfanview simply because it's a program I use a lot, it has many features that I am used to using, The software available in the Menu/Graphics on Linux Mint, do not have many features at all, compared to Irfanview.
As said, it's better if you identify what you NEED, rather than just use a Windows program 'just because'. And while you may not have anything installed *NOW* that meets your needs, there are LOTS of program (the two I mentioned, for example), that are just like Irfanview. You can install/try/use any of them, for free. Linux isn't Windows...you can do as you wish. It would be better if you identified the features you need that are lacking from what programs you've already tried, and we can probably tell you one that will meet your needs.

Have you already tried EOG and gwenview???
Quote:
As for not using Windows programs in Linux, doesn't that make the program Wine a waste of time having?
No, because there are some esoteric programs that ONLY run in Windows. And WINE was written some time ago when there weren't a lot of Linux programs available....now, it's FAR different, and Linux has more software than Windows. In the case of irfanview...any features/functionality it has, is already available in a Linux package. It's a fairly simple image viewer.
 
Old 07-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #8
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,881

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
Is there any reason why any of the apps listed in the following link wouldn't suit your needs ?

https://alternativeto.net/software/i...platform=linux
 
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
Dave E
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Massachusetts : Originally From England
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks guys, I have installed Xnview MP and it is now my default image software.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 AM   #10
watchingu
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch Linux, Debian Stable, Debian Unstable
Posts: 73

Rep: Reputation: 17
@OP: For future reference when you want to move a .wine folder, consider using a WINE PREFIX. More info at the following link:

https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Wineprefixes
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #11
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,834

Rep: Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchingu View Post
@OP: For future reference when you want to move a .wine folder, consider using a WINE PREFIX. More info at the following link:

https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Wineprefixes
Nice...wasn't even aware of that, thanks.
 
Old 07-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
cwizardone
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" and KDE4Town.
Posts: 9,194

Rep: Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390Reputation: 7390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
Thanks guys, I have installed Xnview MP and it is now my default image software.
Just what I was going to recommend.

I've used Gwenview (from KDE) for years and it doesn't come close to XnView MP.
The dikigam plug-ins add functions to Gwenview, but it still isn't as "good" IMHO
as XnView MP.
At one time the plug-ins for Gwenview were available separately, but for a few years now you have to install digiKam to get the plug-ins. Unfortunate move
by the developers, IMO.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Irfanview under wine piggley winks Linux - Newbie 8 02-20-2011 10:11 AM
LXer: A new Bordeaux implementation of Wine will install IrfanView AND IrfanView plug LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-08-2010 11:50 AM
LXer: Spill the Wine, install IrfanView in Debian LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-12-2010 04:50 PM
Wine Error - IrfanView doby48 Linux - Software 7 09-26-2008 12:03 PM
? on wine & installing irfanview eroica Linux - Software 3 07-12-2005 09:00 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration