LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #1
Linux0110
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Posts: 69

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question about Linux live USB


If I am using a linux OS in live mode from USB pendrive for example Knoppix and I execute malicious code will it be able to get in my main OS that is permanently installed in the Computer? I don't want to do anything this question is just because I'm curious about how this system works.
 
Old 03-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 16,858
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013Reputation: 5013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux0110 View Post
If I am using a linux OS in live mode from USB pendrive for example Knoppix and I execute malicious code will it be able to get in my main OS that is permanently installed in the Computer? I don't want to do anything this question is just because I'm curious about how this system works.
Theoretically possible, esp. if the malicious code gains root access.
Or you have user write access to the internal hard drive.
It is very, very unlikely though - such a specific scenario.
For attackers, there's 3 levels of fruit hanging lower than that.
 
Old 03-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 19
Posts: 6,287
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142
Quote:
I execute malicious code will it be able to get in my main OS
Must be a language thing. Wondering why you would wanna execute malicious code on your own.


Anyways. Malicious accidents end up in the hidden Mozilla folder /home when on a pen drive.

Windows is protected by / unless you mount them yourself cuz you wanna break stuff while having these accidents.

Usually live runs. Unless persistent. Reset on re-boot and you start afresh.

Not sure if knoppix live permissions is read only during a live session. Since I don't play with it.

Linux malicious code is kinda rare. Windows malicious code is .exe driven and looks for registries not on a linux system.

Have a nice day.
 
Old 03-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,583

Rep: Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303Reputation: 3303
At first, live media didn't mount internal drives by default and that was a good thing. However many live media is run in some privileged state. Knoppix in the past has forced you to make a root password to then execute root level. Not sure what he is doing now.

To be safe, I'd remove either/or power or data from internal drives. Then use fully updates normal install to a usb over any live media. Remember, live media doesn't get updated.
 
Old 04-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Linux0110
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
Theoretically possible, esp. if the malicious code gains root access.
Or you have user write access to the internal hard drive.
It is very, very unlikely though - such a specific scenario.
For attackers, there's 3 levels of fruit hanging lower than that.
Thank you
 
Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Linux0110
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
Must be a language thing. Wondering why you would wanna execute malicious code on your own.


Anyways. Malicious accidents end up in the hidden Mozilla folder /home when on a pen drive.

Windows is protected by / unless you mount them yourself cuz you wanna break stuff while having these accidents.

Usually live runs. Unless persistent. Reset on re-boot and you start afresh.

Not sure if knoppix live permissions is read only during a live session. Since I don't play with it.

Linux malicious code is kinda rare. Windows malicious code is .exe driven and looks for registries not on a linux system.

Have a nice day.
Thank you my friend so if I don't mount them I should be safe? Anyway I don't want to do that I was just wondering.
 
Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Linux0110
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
At first, live media didn't mount internal drives by default and that was a good thing. However many live media is run in some privileged state. Knoppix in the past has forced you to make a root password to then execute root level. Not sure what he is doing now.

To be safe, I'd remove either/or power or data from internal drives. Then use fully updates normal install to a usb over any live media. Remember, live media doesn't get updated.
Thank you my friend
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware 14.2 "Slacker" live DVD/USB featuring XFCE4, Kernel 4.19.29-xanmod15, and Linux-Live Kit linus72 Slackware 119 07-19-2019 07:47 AM
How To: Remastering Slackware14.2/current using Linux-live-slack-050419 into a Live CD/DVD/USB/HDD linus72 Slackware 0 05-05-2019 06:44 PM
Announcing Linux-Live-Kit x86_64 Debian Stretch Live XFCE MultiDistro Remasterable/Persistent HDD/USB linus72 Debian 6 04-22-2019 10:05 PM
[SOLVED] creating a live usb from a live Linux Mint disk julianvb Linux - Software 4 04-07-2015 01:03 AM
[SOLVED] Can not create live usb for OpenSuse using Live USB creater :( PrinceCruise Linux - General 4 09-23-2009 03:04 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration