LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   problem in samba configuration (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/problem-in-samba-configuration-740171/)

mehnaz 07-15-2009 02:53 AM

problem in samba configuration
 
Hello all
i am trying to install samba on fedora 6.though the package is installed and i have modified smb.conf file after that i added smbuser,,the problem is when i try to restart smb service through command "/etc/init.d/smb restart" it gives me error no such file or directly. i have checked services in init.d ,,but smb service is not present there,what should i do now.any help will be highly appreciated

jdkaye 07-15-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehnaz (Post 3608075)
kindly reply me fast,,i am waiting

Please do not put statements like this in your post. We are not being paid for this service and we will reply to you when we can. Statements like yours are extremely irritating and won't get you replies any quicker.

For what it's worth, on my system there is no "smb" in /etc/init.d but there is /etc/init.d/samba

Perhaps that's what you need to try.
jdk

mehnaz 07-15-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkaye (Post 3608081)
when we can. Statements like yours are extremely irritating and won't get you replies any quicker.

sorry

mehnaz 07-15-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkaye (Post 3608081)
jdk

and one more thing there is no samba as well in init.d

arashi256 07-15-2009 10:19 AM

Might be a silly question - but do you actually have Samba installed? I'm using Fedora 10/11 (depending on machine) and I have the /etc/init.d/smb service sitting there.

What about under /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb?

mehnaz 07-16-2009 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arashi256 (Post 3608178)
Might be a silly question - but do you actually have Samba installed? I'm using Fedora 10/11 (depending on machine) and I have the /etc/init.d/smb service sitting there.

What about under /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb?

yes it is installed,,i tried 3 diff rpms but still i am not able to restart the service

shahz 07-16-2009 04:43 AM

when you use the following command what do you in the output

rpm -q samba

if you get the samba with the version then its installed

mehnaz 07-17-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahz (Post 3609243)
when you use the following command what do you in the output

rpm -q samba

if you get the samba with the version then its installed

Applying this command gives me "samba is not installed" but when i use rpm -qa|grep samba ,,it gives me version.if u r saying samba is not installed then what steps should i take to install it. i am using samba-common 3.0 and i have installed it through rpm -ivh samba-common and it gives me 100% success.i dont know what to do.

shahz 07-18-2009 02:02 AM

okay did you try to find the smb.conf file or tried to start the samba daemon.

mehnaz 07-20-2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahz (Post 3611489)
okay did you try to find the smb.conf file or tried to start the samba daemon.

yes i have modified smb.conf file present in samba directory under etc but i dont know about samba deamon//?????

wisdom 07-20-2009 06:58 AM

Have a look at this post might be of help
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...pperly-740453/

These are the key command

Quote:

yum remove samba
yum clean all
yum clean metadata
yum install samba-client samba-doc samba-swat samba-winbind-devel samba-winbind samba-client samba-common system-config-samba.noarch samba

shahz 07-20-2009 07:34 AM

yum install samba

should install all the dependancies.

shahz 07-20-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehnaz (Post 3613555)
i dont know about samba deamon//?????

you should read some documentation about, SAMBA and I have accepted your request to be a friend.

thanks
shahz

mehnaz 07-27-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahz (Post 3613734)
you should read some documentation about, SAMBA and I have accepted your request to be a friend.

thanks
shahz

thanks alot ,and samba is deriving me nuts i have spend more than 2 weeks on this project nd still on zero

mehnaz 07-27-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahz (Post 3613726)
yum install samba

should install all the dependancies.

i have tried this many times,,and this command gives "samba is already installed"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.