LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question No sound in Ubuntu and Mint 10 and 12


Hello! I am completely new with Linux and have tried to install Mint 12 and 10 and a new version of Ubuntu by using unetbootin (usb) on a "Asus EEEBox EB1012P-B014E ION2". The problem is that I never get any sound. I have tried to change all the available settings for sound but nothing helps. I have the computer connected to a tv by hdmi but I have also tried to connect earphones directly to the computer but it did not help. Any suggestions? Thanks. /Carola
 
Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
You'll have to play with the mixer settings to get sound over HDMI.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks. But i have changed all the available settings tried every option in the systems menu. I have also tried to connect earphones directly to the computer and it does not help. /C
 
Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
SandsOfArrakis
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Posts: 125

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Do Mint and Ubuntu recognize the soundcard? From the little I could find about your computer (either Swedish or Russian) it seems it has an Intel High Definition Audio chip onboard.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Post your lspci output.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cool Thank you will check the sound card support

Sorry I know so little about computers so I do not know what soundcard it has. But I will check about the sound card when I get home. I found some pages about some things I could try.
...But no, the computer is sold worldwide its a new nettop. (I ,on the other hand, am in Sweden so that was correct!)
/C
 
Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Sorry I do not even know what ispci output is :-0
 
Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
SandsOfArrakis
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Posts: 125

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cascade9 gave a good suggestion. On the terminal type in lspci and it should show what Linux has detected.

erwin@Aphrodite ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (rev 34)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
04:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)

This is what I'm getting when I type that command on my laptop. You should see something similar on your computer
If that's listed then Linux recognized your computers soundchip.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
okej Thank you.
I am at work now but will try that when I get home to my sick computer
and my sick cats! /C
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hello again. I tried writing lspci and got this for the sound card:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0


so it seems like it recognizes the sound card. have to keep looking... /C
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
the wole output is:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
05:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #12
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
You'll have to play with the mixer settings to get sound over HDMI.
I try to find a mixer. but there is nothing in the help pages for ubuntu about a mixer. is that what is called 'alsa'? how do i get to the mixer? /C
 
Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
SandsOfArrakis
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Posts: 125

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by femaleBuddha View Post
the wole output is:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
05:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
It seems to me that your computer has 2 audio devices. My guess is that the Nvidia one is part of your graphics card. Which you may need to set to get it to run with HDMI. Sadly. I have no experience with Nvidia graphics cards.

Quote:
I try to find a mixer. but there is nothing in the help pages for ubuntu about a mixer. is that what is called 'alsa'? how do i get to the mixer? /C
Alsa indeed manages the sound in Linux. I'm using both KDE and XFCE as desktop environments. And with both of them I can manage the settings for my soundchip. Either through the Computer -> System Settings -> Multimedia from KDE's menu or clicking on the volume icon on the menu bar. Last one gives access to a mixer KDE works nearly identical to Windows this way.

Not sure which desktop environment you're using. But XFCE works very similar to KDE in this respect. I reckon GNOME would be similar as well.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
can I click 'problem solved' somewhere? /C
 
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
femaleBuddha
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Oh my last reply dissapeared. I get sound now. Thank you for helping me. I had to change
to the other graphics card driver. I did not know that a graphics card could have anything to
do with sound. /C
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a substantial difference between Linux Mint Ubuntu and Linux Mint Debian? schachwizard Linux Mint 7 04-10-2015 09:16 PM
Can Ubuntu One be used in Linux Mint and can Ubuntu music store be accessed from... LinusStallman Linux - General 2 12-28-2011 01:37 AM
No sound in Mint 6 lifeafterdeath Linux - Newbie 2 03-08-2009 04:29 PM
How do I replace Linux Mint with Suse 11.0 on PC with Win XP Mint and Ubuntu? jremsen Linux - Software 4 02-15-2009 06:54 AM
No Sound In Mint 4 ameyjah Linux - Hardware 0 06-10-2008 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration