LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #31
mmain70
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2017
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Thanks again. The D drive does contain drivers. Don't know why I didn't think to look at that previously.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #32
Rickkkk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 733

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmain70 View Post
Thanks again. The D drive does contain drivers. Don't know why I didn't think to look at that previously.
No prob - you can easily move those directories and their contents onto your C: drive - just create a "From_D_Drive" directory (or something like that) to remember where they came from. Then you can delete that partition and use it with the rest of your freed space from the main Windows partition you'll be shrinking.

Cheers.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #33
mmain70
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2017
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
First, allow me again say thank you for all the help. I can't begin to express my appreciation. Second, you will get a break here as I will be stepping away from my laptop for a few hours after I post this reply. Third, I will transfer my drivers from D drive onto C and use that. Would I only use that for swap since I will be creating a 300 gig partition for Linux? OR is the EFI partition you mentioned creating something else? Sorry for all the questions. This is my first real foray into trying to install Linux. I purchased a used computer from someone once that had Ubuntu already installed on it so I've never had to do this.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #34
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 7,330

Rep: Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404
The Disk Management images you posted show only the bottom two partitions with anything on them. You do have an EFI partition but, according to Disk Management, it is empty?? In fact it shows 4 of the 6 partitions as empty with only the C: windows system and Lenovo partitions containing anything. If that is accurate, it might explain a lot. Have you tried mounting the EFI partition to see if there are any files there?
 
Old 03-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #35
Rickkkk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 733

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmain70 View Post
First, allow me again say thank you for all the help. I can't begin to express my appreciation. Second, you will get a break here as I will be stepping away from my laptop for a few hours after I post this reply. Third, I will transfer my drivers from D drive onto C and use that. Would I only use that for swap since I will be creating a 300 gig partition for Linux? OR is the EFI partition you mentioned creating something else? Sorry for all the questions. This is my first real foray into trying to install Linux. I purchased a used computer from someone once that had Ubuntu already installed on it so I've never had to do this.
Hey - you're most welcome for the help - glad I can be of assistance.

I would just delete the LENOVO partition (D Drive) after moving the files. It's too big for a swap partition. Depending on the amount of RAM on your system and how you want to implement power management (suspend-resume-hibernate etc. ..), you'll need anywhere from 0 to a max of 16GB, most likely on the lower side (common rules of thumb are RAMx2 or RAM +1GB .. opinions are many ..) Just create unused space with that partition and use it with the rest of the freed space from your C: drive.

The ESP has nothing to do with the creation or management of a swap partition - that is your choice when installing or modifying the configuration of an already installed linux distro. I tend to create the main ext4 partition and the linux-swap partition with GParted before installing, but the Mint install routine probably guides you through it if not.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #36
Rickkkk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 733

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
The Disk Management images you posted show only the bottom two partitions with anything on them. You do have an EFI partition but, according to Disk Management, it is empty?? In fact it shows 4 of the 6 partitions as empty with only the C: windows system and Lenovo partitions containing anything. If that is accurate, it might explain a lot. Have you tried mounting the EFI partition to see if there are any files there?
Hey Yancek - Windows Disk Management never actually accurately shows the usage of those partitions ... They are nevertheless being used.

Cheers :-)
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #37
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 7,330

Rep: Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404
Quote:
Windows Disk Management never actually accurately shows the usage of those partitions
I would not expect accurate information from Disk Management on any Linux partition since a default windows can't read Linux filesystems. When I go to Disk Management on my systems with windows 7 and windows 10, they show 100% free for the Linux partitions but show the accurate amount free for the windows (ntfs and vfat) partitions. Since the EFI partition is vfat, I would expect it to be accurate. Pretty simple to mount it and find out or look at it in GParted.

Last edited by yancek; 03-28-2017 at 09:13 PM.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #38
Rickkkk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 733

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
I would not expect accurate information from Disk Management on any Linux partition since a default windows can't read Linux filesystem. When I go to Disk Management on my systems with windows 7 and windows 10, they show 100% free for the Linux partitions but show the accurate amount free for the windows (ntfs and vfat) partitions. Since the EFI partition is vfat, I would expect it to be accurate. Pretty simple to mount it and find out.
Hey Yancek,

You are of course, right, that it would be simple to do so. I can confirm however, that on my Windows 10 UEFI based systems, Windows Disk Management reports the ESP as having 100% available space. This is the reason I'm not particularly suprised at the OPs situation.

Cheers !
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #39
mmain70
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2017
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I solved my problem and I did it completely by mistake. I rebooted my computer and pressed F12 to get into the boot menu. I had 3 options in my boot menu. They were: 1) Windows bootloader, 2) Ubuntu (Lexar USB) and something called 3)Linpus Lite.

I managed to select Linpus Lite by accident. I immediately noticed that my flash drive started to blink and something was happening. Ubuntu loaded from the flash drive just as it had previously. This time however when I went to install I actually had to option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10. It found the windows bootloader. I finished the installation and am happy to say that I am now typing this comment from my newly installed Ubuntu.

I have no idea what linpus lite is or why it worked, but if anyone else is having issues with this particular Lenovo model it would appear selecting linus lite from the boot menu when attempting to install is the answer.

I just looked up Linpus Lite and it appears it is actually a Linux distro in it's own right. Not sure how that happened or why it worked. I'm just glad it did.

Last edited by mmain70; 03-28-2017 at 09:21 PM.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #40
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 7,330

Rep: Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404
Quote:
I can confirm however, that on my Windows 10 UEFI based systems, Windows Disk Management reports the ESP as having 100% available space
How bizarre. Wonder what the point of that is. My systems are MBR. I noticed the OP refer to boot repair several times but never posted the output from the BootInfo Summary. That might be useful to those who use UEFI.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #41
Rickkkk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 733

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
How bizarre. Wonder what the point of that is. My systems are MBR. I noticed the OP refer to boot repair several times but never posted the output from the BootInfo Summary. That might be useful to those who use UEFI.
Agreed - it is odd. As to the OPs issue, it seems to be resolved :-)
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #42
Rickkkk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 733

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmain70 View Post
I solved my problem and I did it completely by mistake. I rebooted my computer and pressed F12 to get into the boot menu. I had 3 options in my boot menu. They were: 1) Windows bootloader, 2) Ubuntu (Lexar USB) and something called 3)Linpus Lite.

I managed to select Linpus Lite by accident. I immediately noticed that my flash drive started to blink and something was happening. Ubuntu loaded from the flash drive just as it had previously. This time however when I went to install I actually had to option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10. It found the windows bootloader. I finished the installation and am happy to say that I am now typing this comment from my newly installed Ubuntu.

I have no idea what linpus lite is or why it worked, but if anyone else is having issues with this particular Lenovo model it would appear selecting linus lite from the boot menu when attempting to install is the answer.

I just looked up Linpus Lite and it appears it is actually a Linux distro in it's own right. Not sure how that happened or why it worked. I'm just glad it did.
lol ... Glad to learn you found the answer ! Linpus is indeed a linux distro. I know little about it other than it is more common pre-installed on some Asian produced laptops. I've heard of it on lower-end Acers produced in Asia. Didn't know Lenovo pre-installed it. It seems that, in your case, it was set up with its own bootloader that you needed a hot-key combination to access - rather unconventional.

Congrats on finding it, though - enjoy your experience with linux and don't be a stranger if you need help.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #43
mmain70
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2017
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
That is the part of this that is so strange. Despite the fact it said Linpus Lite it is Ubuntu that was loaded from the usb and that was installed. I'm just making a wild guess, but I used Rufus to create my Ubuntu usb. I am wondering if Rufus somehow managed to incorrectly identify the distro. But it definitely booted from the USB which had Ubuntu on it and installed Ubuntu.

And I obviously have no idea why it found the windows bootloader during installation this time as opposed to all the times I chose the option of the Ubuntu usb.

Last edited by mmain70; 03-28-2017 at 09:58 PM.
 
Old 03-30-2017, 02:22 AM   #44
linux-man
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2016
Posts: 71

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkkk View Post
I tend to create the main ext4 partition and the linux-swap partition with GParted before installing, but the Mint install routine probably guides you through it if not.
You prefer that before installing because?
 
Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #45
Rickkkk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 733

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux-man View Post
You prefer that before installing because?
Hey linux-man,

... More a question of habit, honestly. I like to have the destination for a distro install defined, formatted and available before starting the installation procedure. Furthermore, since I primarily use Arch, this is a necessity in most cases for my systems.

Cheers,
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New installation of Mint 17 will not boot from HD mike6767 Linux - Newbie 18 06-12-2015 08:15 PM
Dual OS installed. Win7 and Mint. Not boot option. Windows loads. filipm Linux - Newbie 11 12-06-2013 12:00 PM
Mint dual-boot install doesn't have boot option at start up fotofill1969 Linux - Newbie 2 10-17-2011 10:40 AM
how can the option which os to boot don't display in mint? turf Linux Mint 7 10-20-2010 06:16 AM
Tri-boot installation Mint -> Win7 -> XP captainentropy Linux - General 4 03-05-2010 07:05 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration