LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2011, 02:24 AM   #76
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
You don't seem to be learning from what you've been doing. This would probably be good for you to read (particularly the first three parts).


Does this Unix guide apply to my Linux Ubuntu? I am not sure what I should read out of that website. I think I kind of understand the summary at the website.
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 AM   #77
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Code:
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ ls
Desktop  djs2       Downloads         js1  Music     Public
djs0     djs3       examples.desktop  js2  Pictures  Templates
djs1     Documents  js0               js3  ?po       Videos
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ ls /dev/videos
ls: cannot access /dev/videos: No such file or directory
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ ls /dev
agpgart          mapper              scd0      tty27  tty6       ttyS5
autofs           mcelog              sda       tty28  tty60      ttyS6
block            mem                 sda1      tty29  tty61      ttyS7
bsg              net                 sda2      tty3   tty62      ttyS8
btrfs-control    network_latency     sda5      tty30  tty63      ttyS9
bus              network_throughput  sg0       tty31  tty7       uinput
cdrom            null                sg1       tty32  tty8       urandom
cdrw             oldmem              shm       tty33  tty9       usbmon0
char             parport0            snapshot  tty34  ttyprintk  usbmon1
console          pktcdvd             snd       tty35  ttyS0      usbmon2
core             port                sr0       tty36  ttyS1      usbmon3
cpu              ppp                 stderr    tty37  ttyS10     usbmon4
cpu_dma_latency  psaux               stdin     tty38  ttyS11     usbmon5
disk             ptmx                stdout    tty39  ttyS12     usbmon6
dri              pts                 tpm0      tty4   ttyS13     usbmon7
dvd              ram0                tty       tty40  ttyS14     vcs
ecryptfs         ram1                tty0      tty41  ttyS15     vcs1
fb0              ram10               tty1      tty42  ttyS16     vcs2
fd               ram11               tty10     tty43  ttyS17     vcs3
freefall         ram12               tty11     tty44  ttyS18     vcs4
full             ram13               tty12     tty45  ttyS19     vcs5
fuse             ram14               tty13     tty46  ttyS2      vcs6
fw0              ram15               tty14     tty47  ttyS20     vcsa
hpet             ram2                tty15     tty48  ttyS21     vcsa1
input            ram3                tty16     tty49  ttyS22     vcsa2
kmsg             ram4                tty17     tty5   ttyS23     vcsa3
log              ram5                tty18     tty50  ttyS24     vcsa4
loop0            ram6                tty19     tty51  ttyS25     vcsa5
loop1            ram7                tty2      tty52  ttyS26     vcsa6
loop2            ram8                tty20     tty53  ttyS27     vga_arbiter
loop3            ram9                tty21     tty54  ttyS28     zero
loop4            random              tty22     tty55  ttyS29
loop5            rfkill              tty23     tty56  ttyS3
loop6            root                tty24     tty57  ttyS30
loop7            rtc                 tty25     tty58  ttyS31
lp0              rtc0                tty26     tty59  ttyS4
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ ls /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ ls /dev/sda2
/dev/sda2
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ ls /dev/sda3
ls: cannot access /dev/sda3: No such file or directory
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ ls /dev/sda4
ls: cannot access /dev/sda4: No such file or directory
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ ls /dev/sda5
/dev/sda5
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #78
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Test Disk Results:


Code:
TestDisk 6.11, Data Recovery Utility, April 2009
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org

  TestDisk is free software, and
comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

Select a media (use Arrow keys, then press Enter):
Disk /dev/sr0 - 212 MB / 202 MiB (RO) - HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4247N



Sudo shows more in Test Disk:

Code:
TestDisk 6.11, Data Recovery Utility, April 2009
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org

  TestDisk is free software, and
comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

Select a media (use Arrow keys, then press Enter):
Disk /dev/sda - 120 GB / 111 GiB - ATA FUJITSU MHZ2120B
Disk /dev/sr0 - 212 MB / 202 MiB (RO) - HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4247N

Last edited by JoeyArnold; 09-29-2011 at 02:33 AM.
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #79
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
test disk


Code:
Disk /dev/sda - 120 GB / 111 GiB - CHS 14594 255 63
     Partition               Start        End    Size in sectors
* Linux                    0  32 33 14410 244 42  231510016
P Linux Swap           14411  22 12 14593  65 48    2926576
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #80
snooly
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 124

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyArnold View Post
Lost and Found

Code:
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ sudo cat /lost+found
cat: /lost+found: Is a directory
you should have used:

sudo ls -la /lost+found

ls is for listing contents of directories and details of files
cat is for displaying contents of files in this case
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #81
snooly
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 124

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyArnold View Post
when i typed in
Some of the files have generic names. Others have number or letter code names.

Do you think it would have a list of my lost data here somewhere?
It might be. Can you tell us what sort of data you are looking for? You lost about 60 gigs, right?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #82
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Code:
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ sudo ls -la /lost+found
[sudo] password for o: 
total 20
drwx------  2 root root 16384 2011-04-15 12:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root  4096 2011-09-16 22:50 ..
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #83
snooly
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 124

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyArnold View Post
Code:
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$ sudo ls -la /lost+found
[sudo] password for o: 
total 20
drwx------  2 root root 16384 2011-04-15 12:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root  4096 2011-09-16 22:50 ..
o@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$
Nothing in lost+found, not looking good.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #84
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooly View Post
It might be. Can you tell us what sort of data you are looking for? You lost about 60 gigs, right?
My laptop says it has a 120 GB HD. Just one hard drive of course.

How big is the Ubuntu 10.04 or 11.10 operating system? Like 4 GBs or less?

My laptop said it had around 15 to 20 GBs of free space. I think it was exactly 18 GBs free.

Therefore I lost around, or less than, 80 GBs of videos, pictures, documents, files.

It was mostly videos: .mp4 mostly
 
Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #85
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooly View Post
Nothing in lost+found, not looking good.


My laptop rewrote itself. That is probably why it can't find anything.

I think it's because my laptop gave itself brand new partitions.

I think you would have to recover the previous partitions before finding the lost data from the lost partitions. It is like my laptop got reincarnated from a guy and into a girl. Of course it is not going to remember that she use to be a guy in her/his previous life.
 
Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #86
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
test disk

Code:
Disk /dev/sda - 120 GB / 111 GiB - CHS 14594 255 63

The harddisk (120 GB / 111 GiB) seems too small! (< 176 GB / 164 GiB)
Check the harddisk size: HD jumpers settings, BIOS detection...

The following partition can't be recovered:
     Partition               Start        End    Size in sectors
  Linux                 7065 209 57 21476 167  3  231510016










[ Continue ]
EXT4 Large file Sparse superblock Recover, 118 GB / 110 GiBo@o-HP-Compaq-6910p-GH715AW-ABA:~$
 
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #87
snooly
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 124

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyArnold View Post
Therefore I lost around, or less than, 80 GBs of videos, pictures, documents, files.

It was mostly videos: .mp4 mostly
Did you make the videos yourself, or download them off the internet? If you downloaded them, it's probably time to start downloading them all again, and get an external USB drive to use to make backups.

As for the other files, you have to follow the basic rule: if you want to keep it, you need to have at least two copies, which must be on different disks. If you break this rule, you will sooner or later lose some precious data.

If a hard drive keeps working for 10 years with no problems, you're lucky. A hard drive can break at any time from the first time you start using it, with no warning. You cannot rely on one hard drive to keep your important data safe.

Imagine if pieces of paper regularly caught on fire for no reason and with no warning. People probably wouldn't use pen and paper to store important information. But once it's on a computer, a lot of people think their data is safe, despite computer hard drives being pretty much like pieces of paper that suddenly destroy themselves at any time without warning.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #88
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
So is Disk /dev/sr0 my CD drive most likely?
 
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #89
snooly
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 124

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyArnold View Post
My laptop rewrote itself. That is probably why it can't find anything.

I think it's because my laptop gave itself brand new partitions.

I think you would have to recover the previous partitions before finding the lost data from the lost partitions. It is like my laptop got reincarnated from a guy and into a girl. Of course it is not going to remember that she use to be a guy in her/his previous life.
I think you are correct. If it made new partitions and then put new filesystems on them, and put new data in those filesystems, you pretty much have no chance of getting back to how it was before. You'll just have to learn from this painful lesson and take more care to keep extra copies of important data in future.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #90
JoeyArnold
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 153

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooly View Post
Did you make the videos yourself, or download them off the internet? If you downloaded them, it's probably time to start downloading them all again, and get an external USB drive to use to make backups.

As for the other files, you have to follow the basic rule: if you want to keep it, you need to have at least two copies, which must be on different disks. If you break this rule, you will sooner or later lose some precious data.

If a hard drive keeps working for 10 years with no problems, you're lucky. A hard drive can break at any time from the first time you start using it, with no warning. You cannot rely on one hard drive to keep your important data safe.

Imagine if pieces of paper regularly caught on fire for no reason and with no warning. People probably wouldn't use pen and paper to store important information. But once it's on a computer, a lot of people think their data is safe, despite computer hard drives being pretty much like pieces of paper that suddenly destroy themselves at any time without warning.



Home videos I was making, things I was writing, things I was drawing.
 
  


Reply

Tags
cd, eject, howto, terminal, ubuntu 11.04, undelete


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac File Undelete Software, Undelete Mac files liesnsys Linux - Hardware 3 07-23-2009 09:50 PM
gnome parts stop working or vanish from Ubuntu Hardy SaintDanBert Linux - Desktop 1 01-28-2009 11:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration