LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/newbie-812059/)

Sarath1245 06-03-2010 11:33 PM

Newbie
 
I am a newbie and i dont know about different linux distributions and i am interested in linux. I am not able to understand how to begin? Which distributions i might be able to start. I am completely familiar with windows and i want to learn linux. So, Please suggest me a distribution.

Mr-Bisquit 06-03-2010 11:41 PM

Use distrowatch's search to help yourself.
You will get multiple answers with the same basic ideas.

grail 06-04-2010 12:34 AM

The site mentioned above will help, but some of the user friendly ones would be:

Ubuntu (or a derivation)
Mint
openSuse

sica07 06-04-2010 05:32 AM

Maybe this tool will help you:
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

myposts 06-04-2010 09:02 AM

for a start...
 
for a start install Linux from a good stable release, you wanna try few: http://www.amazon.com/6-disks-Introd...5656441&sr=8-2
it has all you need to start.

catkin 06-04-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sica07 (Post 3992213)
Maybe this tool will help you:
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Just for fun I tried it; perhaps the site is broken -- it didn't even list Slackware, never mind listing Slackware as the most suited, and it said kubuntu would be best (despite my not selecting KDE)! :confused:

catkin 06-04-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarath1245 (Post 3991981)
I am a newbie and i dont know about different linux distributions and i am interested in linux. I am not able to understand how to begin? Which distributions i might be able to start. I am completely familiar with windows and i want to learn linux. So, Please suggest me a distribution.

What sort of hardware do you have? Do you want eye-candy? Do you want GUI tools to administer the system or are you happy to use the command line and edit configuration files? How important is stability to you? Do you want to be on the leading/bleeding edge? Are you interested in systems administration or do you just want something to run applications on? Are you already running any FOSS software (perhaps OpenOffice)? Are you looking to build a server or a workstation?

grail 06-04-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Just for fun I tried it; perhaps the site is broken -- it didn't even list Slackware
Well I am to be using Gentoo or Slackware ... listed it fine for me ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.